Portal Test

Have a jump map that we don't have on our site? Let us know!

Moderator: Core Staff

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Portal Test

Post by Drofder2004 » June 18th, 2007, 7:02 am

The usual portals have been done already (as seen in nm_portal and a few others I cannot remember) but I decided to step it up a notch by trying something new to CoD (well, new to me at least). Now we all know the game "Portal" and my idea was stolen directly from that although the style in which it is done resembles the teleportation thingy in Unreal Tournament (long time since playing, no idea what it is called).

This is nothing more than a box map (modified mp_test) with the CoD style of portal technology I created built in to the map gsc (no gametype needed).

So, if you're interested just bung the IWD in the main preferably removing all mods beforehand.
Load up CoD2 and "/devmap mp_test_portal"

Now once loaded and in game this is how the portal tech works...

First, to set your start portal, you use your USE button and point it where you want the portal. (At the moment, the start portal can be put anywhere, as long as it is touching a solid object... Floor, walls, platforms, and the sky... This will be changed a little in a revision).

Second to set your finish portal, you use your GRENADES. Throw a grenade, where it explodes is your portal will open. There are a couple of rules to this portal... Firstly, to stop "telefraging" (teleporting into a solid object) the nade must be at least 16 units from a wall. Also, there must be a 72 unit clearance above the nade and finally, the nade must explode on the ground. The portal will not open otherwise.

Portals will also not be able to open on a slanted surface (due to a flaw in the way the script checks for telefrags).

Have fun with it, and ofcourse as always the code in the GSC is free to use at your pleasure, the map file is provided also to simply show how the "teleporters" work (simple script_brushmodels, triggers are scripted). Maybe one day I will create something a bit more using this, but atm this is simply a bit of fun to keep me occupied while bored :)

Any Q's or C's?

[-Download-]
Virgin Media 20Mb Broadband:
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."
Borked internet since: 22-07-2010

All-Killer
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by All-Killer » June 18th, 2007, 2:35 pm

Sound promicing, will have a look one of these days, will give my opinion later.

Pedsdude
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pedsdude » June 18th, 2007, 4:35 pm

wow, just played it, very impressive! :)

[SoE]_Zaitsev
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by [SoE]_Zaitsev » June 18th, 2007, 6:57 pm

Translocator! :D

Very nice job, this sounds impressive!
matt101harris wrote:big cock was the first thing that came to my head lol

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » June 18th, 2007, 11:43 pm

[SoE]_Zaitsev wrote:Translocator! :D
Thats the thing! :)
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."

Luke
Past/Inactive Team Member
Past/Inactive Team Member

Post by Luke » June 19th, 2007, 12:19 am

Thats pretty cool, could have a lot of fun with this. Maybe you could have races to get yourself from one place to another(in a suitable map), and have different difficulty areas to throw the nades...just a thought :wink:
Watch this before posting a question: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

Pedsdude
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pedsdude » June 19th, 2007, 1:05 am

Luke wrote:different difficulty areas to throw the nades...just a thought :wink:
The nade throwing equivalent of gap records :P

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » June 19th, 2007, 4:27 am

Luke wrote:Thats pretty cool, could have a lot of fun with this. Maybe you could have races to get yourself from one place to another(in a suitable map), and have different difficulty areas to throw the nades...just a thought :wink:
My thoughts were to include this in a section of a jump map (or maybe a "minigame" in a jump map. The code would need to be adapted to turn on and off the usage and monitor where the portals are.

It could work but would require some time, which I have none to use on a map. If someone creates something for it, I would happily modify the code to work with it.

Nightmare
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Nightmare » June 19th, 2007, 4:33 am

Just a suggestion: How about doing like what the guys at Valve did, make a new weapon left click to place the first portal, right click to place the second. Just a thought. :P
Great job though.
Coding is Poetry. Mapping is Art.
"Cause im the sexiest mapper ever...except for nm, that sexy man" - Soviet

-=[CoDJumper.com Movies]=-
[Ambush] || [Backlot] || [Bloc] || [Bog] || [Broadcast] || [Chinatown] || [Countdown]
[Crash] || [Creek] || [Crossfire] || [District] || [Downpour] || [Killhouse] || [Overgrown]
[Pipeline] || [Shipment & Wetwork] || [Showdown] || [Strike] || [Vacant]

waywaaaard
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by waywaaaard » June 19th, 2007, 10:00 am

if u will make the mod a little better maybe with the suggestion then I would make a map where u need to use portals to finish it
THAT HANDS WERE NOT TRACED!
visit my blog: Link
Soviet wrote:Yeah, watch out, Peds will hit you with his +5 D-Battleaxe of homosexuality :roll:

All-Killer
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by All-Killer » June 19th, 2007, 1:27 pm

Nightmare wrote:Just a suggestion: How about doing like what the guys at Valve did, make a new weapon left click to place the first portal, right click to place the second. Just a thought. :P
Great job though.
This is a really great idea. I have tested it and it is really cool!

Neon
Too cool for CoDJumper
Too cool for CoDJumper

Post by Neon » June 19th, 2007, 2:19 pm

Amazingly fun :D Nades are awkward to use is the only I had.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards...Checkmate."
"Seriously... .45k/sec it is a joke.. I could have just gone out and taken my own photos of children in this time."
"You have just become my fave youtuber!" - KillerSam in regards to myself. Win.

[SoE]_Zaitsev
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by [SoE]_Zaitsev » June 19th, 2007, 6:01 pm

Drofder2004 wrote:
Luke wrote:Thats pretty cool, could have a lot of fun with this. Maybe you could have races to get yourself from one place to another(in a suitable map), and have different difficulty areas to throw the nades...just a thought :wink:
My thoughts were to include this in a section of a jump map (or maybe a "minigame" in a jump map. The code would need to be adapted to turn on and off the usage and monitor where the portals are.

It could work but would require some time, which I have none to use on a map. If someone creates something for it, I would happily modify the code to work with it.
Will you work on a map where this is required or ?
matt101harris wrote:big cock was the first thing that came to my head lol

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » June 19th, 2007, 8:20 pm

[SoE]_Zaitsev wrote:
Drofder2004 wrote: It could work but would require some time, which I have none to use on a map.
Will you work on a map where this is required or ?
Read what you quoted ;)

Coontang
CJ G0D!
CJ G0D!

Post by Coontang » June 20th, 2007, 9:45 pm

Pedsdude wrote:
Luke wrote:different difficulty areas to throw the nades...just a thought :wink:
The nade throwing equivalent of gap records :P
This is really good idea:P codjumper could have a nade record map where its one really long room with sidewalks at either side (which have glass on so you cant cheat :P) and a throw area. you simply throw as far as you can and its measured to the nearest 5 units :P
JDogg: 'I have a video of me pissing, wanna see?'