New Map: CoD 1: jm_noobschoice

Have a jump map that we don't have on our site? Let us know!

Moderator: Core Staff

alex-d
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

New Map: CoD 1: jm_noobschoice

Post by alex-d » January 3rd, 2007, 9:54 pm

hi, this is my first map

download it here: http://rapidshare.com/files/10150886/jm_noobschoice.pk3 <-- updated version

hope u like it

codeaddiction
Last edited by alex-d on January 4th, 2007, 10:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Luke
Past/Inactive Team Member

Post by Luke » January 3rd, 2007, 10:20 pm

Downloading now, will let you know what I think :wink:
Watch this before posting a question: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

alex-d
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by alex-d » January 3rd, 2007, 10:31 pm

design is bad i know :(
but im not bored enough atm, ill make a better looking map when school starts again, there ill have a lot of time^^

i just wanted to create a map thats a real challenge for me

hope its not too easy for you

Nightmare
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Nightmare » January 3rd, 2007, 10:44 pm

the name doesnt fit at all the difficulty of this map I must say. :P Not a bad map, I would consider the map to be in the hard section of jump maps. I like the classical feel of the map tho, also, those moving platforms are really hard. Maybe slow them down and smooth them up a bit? I could see some clogging in servers at the beggening of the map (hard jump, small space). Also, try adding a skybox with some worldspawn, gives a more profesional look to the map. ;) All in all its a not bad map with a hard difficulty:7/10
Coding is Poetry. Mapping is Art.
"Cause im the sexiest mapper ever...except for nm, that sexy man" - Soviet

-=[CoDJumper.com Movies]=-
[Ambush] || [Backlot] || [Bloc] || [Bog] || [Broadcast] || [Chinatown] || [Countdown]
[Crash] || [Creek] || [Crossfire] || [District] || [Downpour] || [Killhouse] || [Overgrown]
[Pipeline] || [Shipment & Wetwork] || [Showdown] || [Strike] || [Vacant]

alex-d
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by alex-d » January 3rd, 2007, 11:00 pm

sorry my english is not the best, i hope i unterstand what u mean
those moving platforms are really hard. Maybe slow them down and smooth them up a bit?
by smoothing them up u mean i should let them move parallel? if yes, i like it how it is, makes jumping a lil bit harder
I could see some clogging in servers at the beggening of the map (hard jump, small space).
should i replicate the beginning? i was already thinking about this, coz of too many selfish kiddies out there
Also, try adding a skybox with some worldspawn, gives a more profesional look to the map.
do u mean i should set some more spawnpoints?

Luke

Post by Luke » January 3rd, 2007, 11:06 pm

Not very original, mapping kinda typical for a beginner making a jump map. I did find it quite difficult, but i haven't jumped in weeks so i'm a bit rusty. The whole map is full bright which suggests no skybox/map isn't sealed, and means no proper lighting/shadows.

It's not bad at all for a first map, but some of the ideas are just overused, too many maps use them. eg: the moving platforms which seem to be in every other map since i made jm_motion :P

Try to think of more original ideas, avoid floating platforms and make a skybox next time.

edit: sorry forgot to refresh didn't see what you wrote:
do u mean i should set some more spawnpoints?
Adding worldspawn values aren't gonna make a difference in this map as it is completely indoors. The main thing is you make the map completely sealed, so it makes a cell. Then you will need to add lights, and this makes it more realistic and easier on the eye.
Last edited by Luke on January 3rd, 2007, 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Watch this before posting a question: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

Nightmare
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Nightmare » January 3rd, 2007, 11:16 pm

What I ment by slowing down and smoothing up the platforms was instead of

Code: Select all

platform1()
{
	platform = getent ("platform1","targetname");
	while(1)
	{
		platform moveY (-210,2,0,0);
		platform waittill ("movedone");
		platform moveY (210,2,0,0);
	}
}
do:

platform1()
{
	platform = getent ("platform1","targetname");
	while(1)
	{
		platform moveY (-210,3,1,1);
		platform moveY (210,3,1,1);
	}
}
Also, Do Not, ever ever ever use simple names as above. (platform1)
This causes conflicting with other maps which already use the same targetname. To be sure you will not conflict, make the targetname have the name of your map infront: jm_noobschoice_platform1
Errors and unwanted things happen when you get conflicting.
Btw, the above is from your script.

[Ambush] || [Backlot] || [Bloc] || [Bog] || [Broadcast] || [Chinatown] || [Countdown]
[Crash] || [Creek] || [Crossfire] || [District] || [Downpour] || [Killhouse] || [Overgrown]

alex-d
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by alex-d » January 3rd, 2007, 11:22 pm

i used the moving platforms only coz i like them, u need to time the jumps

i made a skybox and its sealed, but a wall is touching the skybox is this causing problems?

edit:
@nightmare: so u mean the platform should accelerate (1 second) and stop (1 second)
isnt this making the jump a lot easier?

thanks for the tip with the names, didnt know that conflicts with other maps are possible

Nightmare
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Nightmare » January 3rd, 2007, 11:41 pm

the script that I edited will make it have a smoother stop and a smoother start, it will not stop abrutply like it does right now.

alex-d
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by alex-d » January 4th, 2007, 12:00 am

i made the skybox a lil bigger now, and edited the script to:

platform4()
{
	platform = getent ("jm_noobschoice_platform4","targetname");
	while(1)
	{
		platform moveY (210,2,0.5,0.5);
		platform moveY (-210,2,0.5,0.5);
	}
}
looks better now, but its really making the jumps a lot easier, so i think ill set it back to -,2,0,0

now i only got to put lights into the map

i think ill leave the first room how it is, and make my next map better, so blockers cant block that easy

edit:
i added a light in the spawnroom, and didnt see any difference to the rooms without light, i set light [100] is that to much?

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » January 4th, 2007, 1:59 am

Luke wrote:Adding worldspawn values aren't gonna make a difference in this map as it is completely indoors. The main thing is you make the map completely sealed, so it makes a cell. Then you will need to add lights, and this makes it more realistic and easier on the eye.
World spawn effects indoors as well as out. A map can be made with no lights what so ever, if the worldspawn is correct, buildings will be lit up ;)
Virgin Media 20Mb Broadband:
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."
Borked internet since: 22-07-2010

Nightmare
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Nightmare » January 4th, 2007, 2:01 am

PWNED LUKE

lol, got alittle excited there :P

Luke

Post by Luke » January 4th, 2007, 2:14 am

I think it depends how the map is designed..if u were to put a skybox around the map in question, the enclosed rooms inside it would remain dark would they not?
And worldspawn is meant to be used in conjunction with sky textures, not wood and concrete, but yea they would still work.

/unprawned
/kill nightmare
/mute drofder

Nightmare
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Nightmare » January 4th, 2007, 2:45 am

/god

no even if the building was completely closed there would still be shadows and light, thats why you can never have a perfectly dark room unless you have a worldspawn with no light.

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » January 4th, 2007, 3:16 am

Very tricky subject, so to make it simple, worldspawn affects all the brushes on the map, it affects shadows and lights and lots more.

I am not sure about the "enclosed box" being lit up by worldspawn, cba to test, but in CoD2 at least, I am sure this is untrue...

Imagine a room with a very small window. The window will let in sunlight (or light from a source), that light will be enough to light the entire room. So basically, a room does not need a "light" only a worldspawn and a window ;)
Virgin Media 20Mb Broadband:
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."
Borked internet since: 22-07-2010