Beginner Looking for advice

Chat area specifically for CoDJumper

Moderator: Core Staff

n0rth
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Beginner Looking for advice

Post by n0rth » June 13th, 2010, 5:08 pm

Looking for a good map and/or locations to start learning to strafe jump and bounce etc... so far I can do 1 elevator on strike, and can get outside the map on backlot as well as the bounce off the car near mid house. Any suggestions/tips are welcome (ive also watched most of the codjumper movies). Just looking for things I can work on solo. Thanks in advance.
-=[CoDJumper.com Movies]=-
[Ambush] || [Backlot] || [Bloc] || [Bog] || [Broadcast] || [Chinatown] || [Countdown]
[Crash] || [Creek] || [Crossfire] || [District] || [Downpour] || [Killhouse] || [Overgrown]
[Pipeline] || [Shipment & Wetwork] || [Showdown] || [Strike] || [Vacant]

Pedsdude
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Beginner Looking for advice

Post by Pedsdude » June 13th, 2010, 5:32 pm

Strafe jumping: mp_codjumper_training
Bounce jumping: mp_bouncer_training (or maybe even practice the Pipeline bounce repeatedly)

matt101harris
PC Team
PC Team

Post by matt101harris » June 13th, 2010, 5:52 pm

youtube. My fav map to practise jumps is pipeline.
PeЧĐuĐe@CoDJumper.com: put your cock away, you sick man
Matty@CoDJumper.com: hahaha
PeЧĐuĐe@CoDJumper.com: (while i whip mine out)
Matty@CoDJumper.com: lol
PeЧĐuĐe@CoDJumper.com: just kidding
PeЧĐuĐe@CoDJumper.com: ... i don't have one :(

n0rth
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by n0rth » June 13th, 2010, 5:53 pm

I assume the pipeline bounce is the one off the truck window? And should I start with strafing or bouncing?
[Ambush] || [Backlot] || [Bloc] || [Bog] || [Broadcast] || [Chinatown] || [Countdown]
[Crash] || [Creek] || [Crossfire] || [District] || [Downpour] || [Killhouse] || [Overgrown]

Pedsdude
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pedsdude » June 13th, 2010, 6:04 pm

n0rth wrote:I assume the pipeline bounce is the one off the truck window? And should I start with strafing or bouncing?
Yep, this one:

Practice strafe jumping before bouncing, the better your strafe jump, the better your bounce.

n0rth
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by n0rth » June 13th, 2010, 6:13 pm

so is 250 a small enough strafe to learn on? or do I need something even smaller? I used to bounce etc... on halo2 before it went off XBL, so I'm trying to learn this on PC :p

matt101harris
PC Team
PC Team

Post by matt101harris » June 13th, 2010, 6:17 pm

250 is as small as u can go on strafe help maps , start at that 1, once u get it u will soon advance. If i remember when i go to my mums i can maybe give u a little help, if u have xfire add me matt101harris also if u have a mic, would be alot easier.

n0rth
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by n0rth » June 13th, 2010, 6:20 pm

thanks for all the help. I learn rather fast (got my first elevator after 10 minute explination + 10 minutes of testing) At what jump distance should I start trying more complicated things? I just downloaded and cleared all of the 260 jumps. Is that enough to try the pipeline bounce?

Pedsdude
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pedsdude » June 13th, 2010, 6:22 pm

n0rth wrote:thanks for all the help. I learn rather fast (got my first elevator after 10 minute explination + 10 minutes of testing) At what jump distance should I start trying more complicated things? I just downloaded and cleared all of the 260 jumps. Is that enough to try the pipeline bounce?
Start on the easiest jump on mp_codjumper_training and then just keep going and see how far you can get. Make sure that you have your FPS set to 125, using these commands:
/cg_drawfps 1
/com_maxfps 125
(type them into console, and then you should see what FPS you get in the corner of your screen).

As for the Pipeline bounce, I'm not sure exactly what distance is required for it. Just keep practicing strafe jumping for now, it'll help a lot later one when you're trying more difficult jumps than the Pipeline bounce (which is pretty easy).

n0rth
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by n0rth » June 13th, 2010, 6:26 pm

well I just cleared 270 on the codjumper_training map. Is that good for now or should I keep going? Also, I run a constant 250fps.

Pedsdude
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pedsdude » June 13th, 2010, 7:06 pm

Just keep going and see how far you can get, then have a go at bouncing.

matt101harris
PC Team
PC Team

Post by matt101harris » June 13th, 2010, 7:09 pm

Imo you shouldnt keep trying elevators, there a pointless glitch that dosent even count as jumping, no skill needed. Keep on with the strafing and bouncing. I think that youy should keep strafing untill u get stuck for more than 5 mins on 1 gap (for me when i first started i got stuck on 309 for a few days lol, i gave up came back after a week or so and made it to 315). So once u get stuck go and try some real maps, or some the well made custom maps (i havent played that many but my favourite are danthemans). Also try to work on your rpg jumping and rpg strafe jumping.

ConnoR
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper
Gamertag: conz0rz

Post by ConnoR » June 13th, 2010, 7:21 pm

matt101harris wrote:Imo you shouldnt keep trying elevators, there a pointless glitch that dosent even count as jumping, no skill needed. Keep on with the strafing and bouncing. I think that youy should keep strafing untill u get stuck for more than 5 mins on 1 gap (for me when i first started i got stuck on 309 for a few days lol, i gave up came back after a week or so and made it to 315). So once u get stuck go and try some real maps, or some the well made custom maps (i havent played that many but my favourite are danthemans). Also try to work on your rpg jumping and rpg strafe jumping.
But you should learn elevators though because they can get you up to bounce spots?

[SoE]_Zaitsev
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by [SoE]_Zaitsev » June 13th, 2010, 7:29 pm

He already knows Elevators so that's a good thing.

Play on some SJ servers. There should always be someone there who knows more than you. Going on a jumpserver is the best way to get better tbh.
matt101harris wrote:big cock was the first thing that came to my head lol

n0rth
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by n0rth » June 13th, 2010, 9:00 pm

What is an SJ server?