Soviet_Stronghold

Have a jump map that we don't have on our site? Let us know!

Moderator: Core Staff

Luke
Past/Inactive Team Member

Post by Luke » November 5th, 2006, 8:57 pm

It takes me 25 minutes to compile on fast with lighting on :shock: good news is that it compiles, bad news is it needs a lot of work.. There's over 100 duplicate plane errors, which i don't fancy taking on :P

Soviet
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Soviet » November 6th, 2006, 1:55 am

not my fault im a shitty mapper, droffy taught me :P
ImageImageImage
"Zaitsev is a cunt." - Pedsdude

teebag
CJ Spammer!
CJ Spammer!

Post by teebag » November 6th, 2006, 7:58 am

thats makes me a wannab noob because I have more then 200 in my last jumpmap.
That's why my brother's computer doesn't need anti-virus software; 450MHz P3 doesn't meet virus's system requirements.

Luke

Post by Luke » November 6th, 2006, 2:19 pm

This error means you have two faces on a brush that are in the same plane, meaning one brush has a single face composed of 2 faces. You will need to find, delete and recreate the brush (this error could be left alone without any major problem for MP maps).

When you were editing a brushes vertices, at some point you dragged the vertices in such a way that the two planes opposite each other were in the same place. While this error isn't necessarily a vital problem in the compile process, it can cause some weird visual side effects as you basically have a double-sided texture. It is generally best to avoid this, but it is technically okay to leave it as it is.
So since there's so many of them and it doesn't seem to cause any noticable problems, remaking all those brushes just isn't worth it. But you might want to pay attention to errors like that during each compile in future maps, and fix them as they appear.

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » November 6th, 2006, 11:44 pm

The error is caused by the "copy and pasting", but doesn't always happen.
Virgin Media 20Mb Broadband:
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."
Borked internet since: 22-07-2010

Soviet
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Soviet » November 6th, 2006, 11:45 pm

Drofder2004 wrote:The error is caused by the "copy and pasting", but doesn't always happen.
ooo, i think i know what caused that then!

the whole bottom of a huge room (in the thousands of units for dimensions) is covered in spikes which i copied and pasted
ImageImageImage
"Zaitsev is a cunt." - Pedsdude

Luke

Post by Luke » November 7th, 2006, 12:34 am

Hmm. well i checked a few of the brushes it was giving an error on, and they were all weird shapes, they were the broken roof parts.
Personally i've never had this error from copy and pasting..you can't really avoid copy and pasting, or it could make a map take a lot longer than necessary to make..for example if you made some fancy pillar that needs to be repeated, maybe it took an hour to make 1 and you need 10 of them :P
But it's best to make obects you plan to use a lot "Prefabs" so you can't really go wrong when moving and rotating things then.