Mod Tools Confirmed for Black ops

General chat area for anything whatsoever

Moderator: Core Staff

TechPB
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Mod Tools Confirmed for Black ops

Post by TechPB » August 19th, 2010, 9:53 pm

We plan to open the game up for modding sometime post-launch. We do not know yet to what extent you will be able to mod the game. There are some purely technical issues related to engine and internal tool enhancements that do not easily fit the modtools paradigm. We have looked at it close enough to see that it is non-trivial and we will have to pick it up again post-launch. Right now we are completely focused on finishing the game.

And, dev console: confirmed.

-pcdev-
Looking forward to the mod tools, especially with the new engine, and hopefully an updated version of radiant :D

source: http://www.callofduty.com/board/viewtop ... 43fa11dba2

|Master|
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Re: Mod Tools Confirmed for Black ops

Post by |Master| » August 19th, 2010, 9:59 pm

TechPB wrote:

We plan to open the game up for modding sometime post-launch. We do not know yet to what extent you will be able to mod the game. There are some purely technical issues related to engine and internal tool enhancements that do not easily fit the modtools paradigm. We have looked at it close enough to see that it is non-trivial and we will have to pick it up again post-launch. Right now we are completely focused on finishing the game.

-pcdev-
Looking forward to the mod tools, especially with the new engine, and hopefully an updated version of radiant :D

Agreed! , lol'd :P
Administrators: God, The Devil
Members: The People
Guests: Babies!

Infinite
PC Team
PC Team

Post by Infinite » August 19th, 2010, 10:11 pm

TechPB wrote:

-pcdev-

At this point, this is just putting sour cream on a pile of shit. Taking mod tools out in MW2, and then planning (not promising) to look at adding mod tools sometime POST-LAUNCH in a future patch of the game. IW may have taken the ability to mod away, and you may argue that this is Treyarch, not IW, but in the end Activison makes quite a few of the major decisions and I wouldn't be surprised if IW had to push 99% of their choices through Activison in order to get them approved and put into the game. I wasn't going to buy Black Ops, but this reminds me of a similar event which happened to Blizzard not too long ago. For anyone who remembers the whole RealID shit where Blizzard said that they were going to make it mandatory to have everyone's RealID (Basically your first and last name which you signed up with) displayed on the forums only to turn around a few days later and saying "JK! We were just kidding." and have many people start worshiping at their feet for reversing Blizzard's own decision.

Either way, this news doesn't do anything for me. I wasn't going to buy the game before, and I certainly won't be buying it for a sliver of hope given through mod tools.
"The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together."
"A still more glorious dawn awaits- not a sun rise, but a galaxy rise. A morning filled with four hundred billion suns: the rising of The Milky Way." - Carl Sagan

[15:19] _MattyTÒ£eFarmer_: infinate
[15:19] _MattyTÒ£eFarmer_: u r smarter than me

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » August 19th, 2010, 10:12 pm

Depending on to what degree modtool they are talking about, I shall be purchasing this game.
Virgin Media 20Mb Broadband:
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."
Borked internet since: 22-07-2010

Infinite
PC Team
PC Team

Post by Infinite » August 19th, 2010, 10:17 pm

Drofder2004 wrote:Depending on to what degree modtool they are talking about, I shall be purchasing this game.
Sadly, it seems that the strategy I have just mentioned seems to work to a scarily effective level.
"The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together."
"A still more glorious dawn awaits- not a sun rise, but a galaxy rise. A morning filled with four hundred billion suns: the rising of The Milky Way." - Carl Sagan

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » August 19th, 2010, 10:23 pm

Infinite wrote:
Drofder2004 wrote:Depending on to what degree modtool they are talking about, I shall be purchasing this game.
Sadly, it seems that the strategy I have just mentioned seems to work to a scarily effective level.
Did you read what I post or just skip to the end...

I will not purcahse it on the possiblity of the release, I will be purchasing on the degree of the release...

If they say, here are some tools to skin the players, but that is all, I will not buy, if they say, here are some tools to which you can modify the game files, make your own maps and remove many of these features which we know you do not like, I will be buying it.

Its not scary for a developer to announce something that somebody like me (modder) would see as more than simply a "sliver of hope".

As I have said before, I love the CoD engine, I would prefer to continue to work with this engine than to have to relearn a whole different one for a game I may enjoy the same or less as Black Ops...

And ALL modtools have been released POST LAUNCH.
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."

TechPB
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by TechPB » August 19th, 2010, 10:24 pm

At this point, this is just putting sour cream on a pile of shit. Taking mod tools out in MW2, and then planning (not promising) to look at adding mod tools sometime POST-LAUNCH in a future patch of the game. IW may have taken the ability to mod away, and you may argue that this is Treyarch, not IW, but in the end Activison makes quite a few of the major decisions and I wouldn't be surprised if IW had to push 99% of their choices through Activison in order to get them approved and put into the game. I wasn't going to buy Black Ops, but this reminds me of a similar event which happened to Blizzard not too long ago. For anyone who remembers the whole RealID shit where Blizzard said that they were going to make it mandatory to have everyone's RealID (Basically your first and last name which you signed up with) displayed on the forums only to turn around a few days later and saying "JK! We were just kidding." and have many people start worshiping at their feet for reversing Blizzard's own decision.

Either way, this news doesn't do anything for me. I wasn't going to buy the game before, and I certainly won't be buying it for a sliver of hope given through mod tools.
Not to be rude here or anything, but is your whole idea here to expect the worse and, in the hope that if you do you will never get hurt, but only pleasantly surprised?

and yes I'm not 100% sure it will be like the CoD 4 mod tools but i have some hope.

Infinite
PC Team
PC Team

Post by Infinite » August 19th, 2010, 10:47 pm

Drofder2004 wrote:And ALL modtools have been released POST LAUNCH.
Yes, I know that. However, they were all basically guaranteed until MW2, and not given a half-assed/small announcement that they were going to try to give you mod tools, and not only mod tools, but limit your ability to mod as well(at least, that's how I interpret it, there can obviously be various interpretations of the sentence I am referring , and I can understand that).

As for your other comments, yes I did read your full post and fully understood it. It's just quite interesting as to how you basically went from
TOTAL FUCKING SHIT.

I almost cried, but luckily I had the feeling it was gonna be shit, as all Treyarch ever do is piggy back the previous product and ruin it more.

RC Car? Seriously gtfo.
to
all due to one announcement. I know that you must like modding as you have made various CJ mods, and that would be ridiculous to make for others without any form of payment (in this case, payment being pleasure). To my knowledge, no one has been paid for helping the CJ team, but that's none of my business.

Back on topic: I shall retort to my original comment of putting sour cream on shit, and that's how I will view this announcement. If you want to look at it as more of a diamond or cake on this dog shit, feel free to do so, as I have no right to say what your opinion is, but I will stand at my current position on this game.

TechPB wrote:Not to be rude here or anything, but is your whole idea here to expect the worse and, in the hope that if you do you will never get hurt, but only pleasantly surprised?

and yes I'm not 100% sure it will be like the CoD 4 mod tools but i have some hope.
Perhaps unconsciously, that is my true motive. I believe that follows under a psycho dynamic perspective of myself in relation to this game, but I have very little interest in this game as I have seen the trailer that they have released, and it has very little appeal to me. Mod Tools couldn't really save WaW from being a fairly below-average game in comparison to it's predecessors, so I see no reason as to why they should be saving this game.

Infinite
PC Team
PC Team

Post by Infinite » August 19th, 2010, 10:56 pm

KillerSam wrote:It's like I said though infinite, even if the game is total shit - as long as the graphics, engine and stuff like that are good it really doesn't matter. The mod community will soon make it into a decent game, and we get a fresh CoDJumper mod out of it, making use of potentially new physics options, weapons and gameplay features.
Hopefully, you're right. Going back to what I just said, however, this game will probably be a repeat of WaW in terms of mod tools reviving the game.

Soviet
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Soviet » August 19th, 2010, 11:26 pm

I'll buy it once they're released.
ImageImageImage
"Zaitsev is a cunt." - Pedsdude

Hoogie
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Hoogie » August 19th, 2010, 11:56 pm

KillerSam wrote:It certainly makes the game more desirable to purchase. Even the game sucks we can at least have a CoDJumper mod and the opportunity to do new maps / abilities with it...something fresh.
Where did this bring us with WaW?

I'm still thinking about wether i should get it or not.
-=[[CoDJumper.com Movies]]=-
[[Ambush]] || [[Backlot]] || [[Bloc]] || [[Bog]] || [[Broadcast]] || [[Chinatown]] || [[Countdown]]
[[Crash]] || [[Creek]] || [[Crossfire]] || [[District]] || [[Downpour]] || [[Killhouse]] || [[Overgrown]]
[[Pipeline]] || [[Shipment & Wetwork]] || [[Showdown]] || [[Strike]] || [[Vacant]]

A woman can fake an orgasm, but a man can fake an entire relationship

[SoE]_Zaitsev
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by [SoE]_Zaitsev » August 20th, 2010, 12:19 am

Infinite wrote:
KillerSam wrote:It's like I said though infinite, even if the game is total shit - as long as the graphics, engine and stuff like that are good it really doesn't matter. The mod community will soon make it into a decent game, and we get a fresh CoDJumper mod out of it, making use of potentially new physics options, weapons and gameplay features.
Hopefully, you're right. Going back to what I just said, however, this game will probably be a repeat of WaW in terms of mod tools reviving the game.
WaW MP sucked. But jumping was INCREDIBLE till they fixed bouncing. Just look at the sick movies Pres made.

Also, regarding Blizzard, they didn't 'joke' about it... There were so many complaints it was insane. It was even worse when a server is down during maintenance a few hours longer when a bunch of nerds cry because their precious server is down for 2 extra hours.
matt101harris wrote:big cock was the first thing that came to my head lol

Infinite
PC Team
PC Team

Post by Infinite » August 20th, 2010, 9:51 pm

[SoE]_Zaitsev wrote:
Infinite wrote:
WaW MP sucked. But jumping was INCREDIBLE till they fixed bouncing. Just look at the sick movies Pres made.

Also, regarding Blizzard, they didn't 'joke' about it... There were so many complaints it was insane. It was even worse when a server is down during maintenance a few hours longer when a bunch of nerds cry because their precious server is down for 2 extra hours.
Perhaps you missed the thread regarding the RealID changes on the WoW forums, which went from 1 page to a few hundred within an hour. A mod even posted his real information on the forum to show that it was perfectly safe (of course, he was then spammed by thousands of anonymous people on his facebook, home phone, cell phone, and various other personal information which he posted). Having a maintenance scheduled to last for 9 hours, and then turn out to be a 48 hour maintenance is quite a big deal, and that's the largest maintenance I have probably ever seen during my period of playing WoW. That kind of mistake only happened once or twice, but the complaining done wasn't even near a quarter as much as with the RealID announcement. They never joked about it, but it's quite obvious what I meant.

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » August 20th, 2010, 10:28 pm

Infinite wrote:
Drofder2004 wrote:TOTAL FUCKING SHIT.

I almost cried, but luckily I had the feeling it was gonna be shit, as all Treyarch ever do is piggy back the previous product and ruin it more.

RC Car? Seriously gtfo.
Drofder2004 wrote:if they say, here are some tools to which you can modify the game files, make your own maps and remove many of these features which we know you do not like, I will be buying it.
Hmm, are you sure you read it all, or were you just skim reading for points you could quote?

Infinite
PC Team
PC Team

Post by Infinite » August 21st, 2010, 12:27 am

Drofder2004 wrote:
Infinite wrote:
Drofder2004 wrote:TOTAL FUCKING SHIT.

RC Car? Seriously gtfo.
Drofder2004 wrote:if they say, here are some tools to which you can modify the game files, make your own maps and remove many of these features which we know you do not like, I will be buying it.
Hmm, are you sure you read it all, or were you just skim reading for points you could quote?

I only quoted the last part to make a specific comment on that, I directly responded to the rest of what you said afterwards, including that. Perhaps you need to read more carefully, as I have addressed this issue, being the whole "with mods we can make the game better!" ordeal, TWICE before.
Mod Tools couldn't really save WaW from being a fairly below-average game in comparison to it's predecessors, so I see no reason as to why they should be saving this game.
Going back to what I just said, however, this game will probably be a repeat of WaW in terms of mod tools reviving the game.
Not to mention Hoogie's comment:
Where did this bring us with WaW?

I'm still thinking about wether i should get it or not.
I know I'm sounding hostile, but I feel very strong about my opinion.