Mirror's Edge Demo

Discussion for other PC and console games

Moderator: Core Staff

roxzor_of_sorts
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Mirror's Edge Demo

Post by roxzor_of_sorts » November 4th, 2008, 2:28 am

here's a YouTube playthrough of the demo -- you might want to go to the actual page so you can view the high quality version:
(maybe not the best player, but you can get the gist of things :wink: )

Part 1:

Part 2:

"I think Faith is an awesome character. I think the gameplay is fresh and original. Something next gen consoles need more of. I really like the color scheme too, its refreshing from the dull grey and brown off FPS shooters" -GrantonianDan from comments

lots of different routes and random fun things to do - a very creative game with great design and with some great freedoms for the player. it's so much fun (especially for all the CoDJumpers out there :mrgreen: ); it seems like a pretty lighthearted game, but it really draws you in and gets INTENSE.

p.s. i also had no idea you actually got to use guns until now!

EDIT:

Okay, well the actions of the character and your controlling of her is very smooth and fairly easy i suppose, although when it comes to more complex things like run-on-wall+turn around+jump+whatever, it takes a good amount of accuracy and skill. also, choosing the right route i guess may also play in with the whole skill level thing; a route may be easier but worse in the long run - or a harder, more complex route may be ultimately better (im not entirely sure about that though).

as for the moves, you can run and do a slide that could then be accompanied by a kick to the jewels :wink: , or you could run and drop kick a guy, or run up and punch him, etc. from different angles and such. disarming is also very interesting, since you have to wait until the exact moment the gun turns the color red when its being swung at you to grab it and take it for yourself. this in particular is done from the front of the person, and i believe there can be multiple actions that your character can do in the situation (i don't think which are controlled necessarily by the player). or other techniques with disarming from the back of a guard or something can be easier because of the stealthy attack.

as you can see in the demo video, you can slide down zip-lines of sorts, and slide down sloped surfaces, and slide across the ground to be tactical and aesthetic of course :)
you also need to sometimes do a safety, dive-roll or something of the like when you jump from really high up to avoid dying, which is cool and must again be timed right.

and the level barriers (as im sure you're all wondering about) are usually barbed wire on the top of the fences that will hurt you on touch (obviously) or a gigantic drop off the sides of the building down to the street below... which is also horribly fatal...

--- oh yeah, and also when i was browsing around the game options i came across the option to turn off the Runner Vision, which would make the game so much more awesome and challenging, since the objects you are recommended to use/jump on/off would not be red and so you'd have to figure out which way to go with no help.
Last edited by roxzor_of_sorts on November 4th, 2008, 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
<RoXZoR> It's not cheating... it's a tactical advantage.

roxzor_of_sorts
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Re: Mirror's Edge Demo

Post by roxzor_of_sorts » November 4th, 2008, 2:36 am

KillerSam wrote:
roxzor_of_sorts wrote: p.s. i also had no idea you actually got to use guns until now!
...the guns are implemented only as a secondary thing...
they are fun though :D
but in any case you still only get a couple bullets --- and i guess it is actually a LOT more fun drop-kicking people and stuff

Nightmare
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Nightmare » November 4th, 2008, 4:26 am

I'm tempted to rent an Xbox and try the demo out.
Only 7 more days! I think I will be able to survive. Hopefully.
Coding is Poetry. Mapping is Art.
"Cause im the sexiest mapper ever...except for nm, that sexy man" - Soviet

-=[CoDJumper.com Movies]=-
[Ambush] || [Backlot] || [Bloc] || [Bog] || [Broadcast] || [Chinatown] || [Countdown]
[Crash] || [Creek] || [Crossfire] || [District] || [Downpour] || [Killhouse] || [Overgrown]
[Pipeline] || [Shipment & Wetwork] || [Showdown] || [Strike] || [Vacant]

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » November 4th, 2008, 11:02 pm

I completed the demo in 3 minutes.

The gameplay is pretty much a "push-button-now" style of game, press button A to duck and B to jump and C to disarm. The demo was extremely linear, lets hope different for the game.

I am undecided, sadly I can see this game getting boring, quite fast, this is no portal puzzle solver.
Virgin Media 20Mb Broadband:
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."
Borked internet since: 22-07-2010

roxzor_of_sorts
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by roxzor_of_sorts » November 5th, 2008, 1:42 am

Drofder2004 wrote:I am undecided, sadly I can see this game getting boring, quite fast, this is no portal puzzle solver.
i dunno, i think it has potential. yknow it's a unique game, it's interesting and that's what'll make it enjoyable. watching the end-of-the-demo video i think the developers were able to come up with a lot of creative ideas on how to keep the game interesting, like level design and maybe objectives, throughout the entire thing. i hope it does have some length to it too though...

plus the awesome music really won me over :mrgreen:.... i gotta go pre-order

Shea
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by Shea » November 5th, 2008, 3:21 am

i was wondering about all the red bars everywhere, i see myself finding it more enjoyable with that off.
God, imagine if they released a level editor!