Discussion for other PC and console games

Moderator: Core Staff

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Far Cry 2

Post by Drofder2004 » October 24th, 2008, 6:52 pm

Thoughts and Reviews.

I am just installing new GFX drivers before playing, and after readin the manual and looking at some clips, this game looks awesome. Full review soon.

Opinions!?
Virgin Media 20Mb Broadband:
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."
Borked internet since: 22-07-2010

helium
CJ Spammer!
CJ Spammer!

Re: Far Cry 2

Post by helium » October 24th, 2008, 8:32 pm

I've watched the reviews of some BETA testers and it doesn't look too bright :/ Most of them are pissed off over how incompetent the AI is, but from what I've seen, it looks very promising and fun :) At least setting people and grass on fire :)

[SoE]_Zaitsev
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by [SoE]_Zaitsev » October 24th, 2008, 9:44 pm

SP is supposed to be awesome.
matt101harris wrote:big cock was the first thing that came to my head lol

Soviet
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Soviet » October 24th, 2008, 11:04 pm

The game is pure genius imo. I've played about 10 hours on it and it is fantastic. The world is well thought out and large, the story is intriguing yet not so intensive that it runs the entire game, your arsenal and access to it is executed perfectly, vehicles are done perfectly, the immersion is fantastic, jamming on weapons really helps you get into the game (and makes you avoid picking up random weapons off dead guys), the foliage is beyond perfect in every way, and the lighting is the most amazing I have ever seen. Also, the campaign is magnificently long. As I said, I've played the game for about 10 hours, and so far I am only 20% through the game.

I run the game on all high (there are a few very highs I don't have enabled) and it never drops below 40fps.

Core 2 Duo @ 3.00ghz
2gb DDR2 800 RAM
Nvidia 8800gt OC

There are a few cons, but I love the immersion, atmosphere, and feeling so much I endure them. The time it takes to travel to locations is insane. There is no useful quick travel and many times you spend 10-15 minutes just getting to the objective. The AI is a bit buggy in places, but overall it is excellent considering that it is unscripted. Also, it sometimes takes a few too many bullets to kill people, which majorly detracts from the realism. However, if you use the right weapons, (I prefer machete, M79 grenade launcher, Dragunov sniper, and M249 Machine Gun) it all works out great.

Also, the various upgrades and improvements you can get in equipment and weapons, as well as the monetary system, provide a nice RPG element which really gets you addicted to the game without being overly dominating.

I haven't played the multiplayer yet, nor have I used the map editor.
ImageImageImage
"Zaitsev is a cunt." - Pedsdude

Nightmare
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Nightmare » October 24th, 2008, 11:04 pm

This game is amazing!
Beautifully built and has a great single player. Very long too, only 20% completed so far after 6 hours of playing.
I really love the touch of RPG style into this game. I'd say Crytek pulled this one off very very well.
Coding is Poetry. Mapping is Art.
"Cause im the sexiest mapper ever...except for nm, that sexy man" - Soviet

-=[CoDJumper.com Movies]=-
[Ambush] || [Backlot] || [Bloc] || [Bog] || [Broadcast] || [Chinatown] || [Countdown]
[Crash] || [Creek] || [Crossfire] || [District] || [Downpour] || [Killhouse] || [Overgrown]
[Pipeline] || [Shipment & Wetwork] || [Showdown] || [Strike] || [Vacant]

helium
CJ Spammer!
CJ Spammer!

Post by helium » October 24th, 2008, 11:30 pm

I'm pretty sure that Ubisoft developed this game, not Crytek.

Installing now btw..

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » October 24th, 2008, 11:33 pm

20% of game completed or 20% of Act 1 completed? (Or is there no difference)

I have not tried MP and I never expected it to be any good (infact, they only seem to add MP in games because there are so many 'game must have MP to be good' type people)

Anyway. I had graphics set to "High" (although I shall be going ultra on my next load up). I was expecting an amazing amount of graphical lag (even though I do have a 9800, the screenshots were unreal).

Trees, Forest, Water, Smoke, Fire, all of it is amazing.

The AI is not as clever as other games, but it is not scripted AI like CoD series, so it cannot be compared.

By big down points....

- Slow Travel. Although there is a 'quick travel' I have not found one to use yet (buses).
- AI take too many bullets to kill. Not as many as Crysis though :P
- Dying. If caught up during a jam, or being hit square in the face with a rocket launcher just after being saved, and not having any buddies to save you, means you have to go back to the last manual save. Usually, this is not close.

I have a week to play as much of this as possible before Fallout 3, then a week to play as much as that as possible before CoD5/WotLK. I'm not sure it can be done :P

---
SFX: 95
Graphics: 100
AI: 75
Difficulty: 75
Missions: 100

Total: 93%
---
helium wrote:I'm pretty sure that Ubisoft developed this game, not Crytek.
Correct. Ubisoft Developer, Dunia Engine.
Virgin Media 20Mb Broadband:
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."
Borked internet since: 22-07-2010

aicaramba
Past/Inactive Team Member
Past/Inactive Team Member

Post by aicaramba » October 24th, 2008, 11:40 pm

I heard something about car driving, that every time you drive a car, you get other cars on your tail, or get ambushed or something.. Which kinda lacks reality.. Was only a vague mention, so I wouldnt know.. Is it like this?
P.S.V. Kampioen!

Soviet
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Soviet » October 24th, 2008, 11:44 pm

Not true. The only reason you will get cars on your ass is if you are careless. There are certain guard posts throughout the game, all marked on your map. If you drive through them, they will follow. However, in most cases you can just go around. You might also run into a head on collisions every once in a while from someone driving the opposite direction. However, you just jump out and machete the guy in the face as he gets out of his car and you'll be fine.
ImageImageImage

JDogg
Too cool for CoDJumper
Too cool for CoDJumper

Post by JDogg » October 25th, 2008, 12:24 am

I was a huge fan of Far Cry 1 on the XBOX, but this game sounds way different, I think I'll give it a go if my computer can run it.

JDogg
Too cool for CoDJumper
Too cool for CoDJumper

Post by JDogg » October 25th, 2008, 12:32 am

KillerSam wrote:Far Cry 1 was good right up until the aliens got involved - at which point i stopped playing.
Just like the latest Indiana Jones movie, sigh.

Soviet
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Soviet » October 25th, 2008, 12:46 am

same way crysis was good (i thought) until aliens got involved. Interesting pattern.
ImageImageImage

Nightmare
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Nightmare » October 25th, 2008, 1:01 am

This is why they have removed aliens from this game. :P

[Ambush] || [Backlot] || [Bloc] || [Bog] || [Broadcast] || [Chinatown] || [Countdown]
[Crash] || [Creek] || [Crossfire] || [District] || [Downpour] || [Killhouse] || [Overgrown]

Soviet
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Soviet » October 25th, 2008, 1:10 am

Just wait, I bet it turns out the Jackal is from a race of aliens trying to undermine every continent before their strike on earth, and the Jackal is in charge of undermining Africa.
ImageImageImage

Nightmare
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Nightmare » October 25th, 2008, 3:58 am

One thing I have noticed is that people talk way too fast in this game. They don't stop at the end of the sentence, so it's kind of hard to follow along.