Far Cry 2

Discussion for other PC and console games

Moderator: Core Staff

JDogg
Too cool for CoDJumper
Too cool for CoDJumper

Re: Far Cry 2

Post by JDogg » October 25th, 2008, 7:08 am

Nightmare wrote:One thing I have noticed is that people talk way too fast in this game. They don't stop at the end of the sentence, so it's kind of hard to follow along.
Lol, is there subtitles? I'm getting the game now.

helium
CJ Spammer!
CJ Spammer!

Post by helium » October 25th, 2008, 9:43 am

Does anyone know how to lower your sensitivity somewhere else than in-game? Because it doesn't work for me :S

Anyway, I put everything on "Ultra high" and 8X anti aliasing, and I get a good stable 50-60 FPS. Really nice :) I'm gonna try to sort my mouse, then I'll make a review-ish post :P

[SoE]_Zaitsev
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by [SoE]_Zaitsev » October 25th, 2008, 11:19 am

I loved the first Far Cry, that game was sick. Loved the travelling, this sounds like a nice addition too just for the SP.

Also, in the first Far Cry, I think the very first island. I managed to climb to the very top of the island and there was a crashed helicopter in a crater there. Surprised me, in-game secret :D
matt101harris wrote:big cock was the first thing that came to my head lol

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » October 25th, 2008, 1:48 pm

helium wrote:Does anyone know how to lower your sensitivity somewhere else than in-game? Because it doesn't work for me :S

Anyway, I put everything on "Ultra high" and 8X anti aliasing, and I get a good stable 50-60 FPS. Really nice :) I'm gonna try to sort my mouse, then I'll make a review-ish post :P
I had bad mouse problems when the game started. I changed the resolution to my native (1280) and made sure smooth mouse was OFF, and all was fine from then.
Virgin Media 20Mb Broadband:
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."
Borked internet since: 22-07-2010

helium
CJ Spammer!
CJ Spammer!

Post by helium » October 25th, 2008, 3:05 pm

I got my mouse fixed and continued the game...

I loaded my last save, which was in a car, and the first thing I noticed was how bad the car physics were. I don't care though, since I have never been a fan of driving cars in games. I was very satisfied with the graphics though, especially the details.
When I had played the game for an hour or two I started to get very annoyed at how long it would take to get from one mission to the next, and how boring it would be to just run/drive with no action. But when the enemies finally pop up, they pop up at completely random places, and in big groups. Something that I noticed after being attacked while going to a new mission was that the enemy moved exactly the same every time, so it wasn't hard to know their next move etc. The AI wasn't smart. Not at all. They acted like I didn't exist, and the only difference in Easy and Hard mode is that the enemy has better aim. No improvements in how they move, or how they try new ways to take you down. I got pretty bored after an hour or two and downloaded some cheats that would give me diamonds so I could try out all the new weapons, but it didn't work so I just kind of quit the game.

Overall it's a very good looking game, and I love how you can run around wherever you want, but at the moment I don't feel like running through an actionless forest for 20 minutes. Right now I want action, right now I want COD4.

waywaaaard
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by waywaaaard » October 25th, 2008, 4:09 pm

didnt like the beginning so I stopped playing well after 1min
THAT HANDS WERE NOT TRACED!
visit my blog: Link
Soviet wrote:Yeah, watch out, Peds will hit you with his +5 D-Battleaxe of homosexuality :roll:

Soviet
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Soviet » October 25th, 2008, 4:14 pm

Lev!athan wrote:didnt like the beginning so I stopped playing well after 1min
so you quit a game because you didn't like the intro sequence? :|
ImageImageImage
"Zaitsev is a cunt." - Pedsdude

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » October 25th, 2008, 6:16 pm

Soviet wrote:
Lev!athan wrote:didnt like the beginning so I stopped playing well after 1min
so you quit a game because you didn't like the intro sequence? :|
it surprises me more he quit after the intro, because the intro, driving round amazing scenery was great.
Virgin Media 20Mb Broadband:
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."
Borked internet since: 22-07-2010

Nightmare
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Nightmare » October 25th, 2008, 6:45 pm

helium wrote:I got my mouse fixed and continued the game...

I loaded my last save, which was in a car, and the first thing I noticed was how bad the car physics were. I don't care though, since I have never been a fan of driving cars in games. I was very satisfied with the graphics though, especially the details.
When I had played the game for an hour or two I started to get very annoyed at how long it would take to get from one mission to the next, and how boring it would be to just run/drive with no action. But when the enemies finally pop up, they pop up at completely random places, and in big groups. Something that I noticed after being attacked while going to a new mission was that the enemy moved exactly the same every time, so it wasn't hard to know their next move etc. The AI wasn't smart. Not at all. They acted like I didn't exist, and the only difference in Easy and Hard mode is that the enemy has better aim. No improvements in how they move, or how they try new ways to take you down. I got pretty bored after an hour or two and downloaded some cheats that would give me diamonds so I could try out all the new weapons, but it didn't work so I just kind of quit the game.

Overall it's a very good looking game, and I love how you can run around wherever you want, but at the moment I don't feel like running through an actionless forest for 20 minutes. Right now I want action, right now I want COD4.
Far Cry 2 is more of an adventure game than an action one. If you want non-stop fighting with no strategy but constant shooting, then stick with CoD4. For those of you who want to try out a different styles or approaches to a situation, be it stealth or aggressive, then Far Cry 2 is a great way to test it.
The fact that you downloaded cheats is kind of sad, those briefcases are literally scattered everywhere and you get a nice sum of diamonds from missions.
Coding is Poetry. Mapping is Art.
"Cause im the sexiest mapper ever...except for nm, that sexy man" - Soviet

-=[CoDJumper.com Movies]=-
[Ambush] || [Backlot] || [Bloc] || [Bog] || [Broadcast] || [Chinatown] || [Countdown]
[Crash] || [Creek] || [Crossfire] || [District] || [Downpour] || [Killhouse] || [Overgrown]
[Pipeline] || [Shipment & Wetwork] || [Showdown] || [Strike] || [Vacant]

helium
CJ Spammer!
CJ Spammer!

Post by helium » October 26th, 2008, 1:09 am

Nightmare wrote:
helium wrote:I got my mouse fixed and continued the game...

Far Cry 2 is more of an adventure game than an action one. If you want non-stop fighting with no strategy but constant shooting, then stick with CoD4. For those of you who want to try out a different styles or approaches to a situation, be it stealth or aggressive, then Far Cry 2 is a great way to test it.
The fact that you downloaded cheats is kind of sad, those briefcases are literally scattered everywhere and you get a nice sum of diamonds from missions.
By cheats I don't mean .exe files. Just cheat codes, so I wouldn't call it "sad". I was looking for a way to make the game interesting, but unfortunately it didn't.

Soviet
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Soviet » October 26th, 2008, 5:17 am

helium wrote:I loaded my last save, which was in a car, and the first thing I noticed was how bad the car physics were. I don't care though, since I have never been a fan of driving cars in games.
What is bad about the car physics? You hit a bump you roll down the other side and the car bounces due to the suspension. You stop accelerating it slows down due to friction and air resistance to a stop. You drive it into water it stops working. You shoot it with an rpg, it blows up. The physics were perfectly fine for a game which isn't centered around cars.
helium wrote:I was very satisfied with the graphics though, especially the details.
satisfied? When you say stuff like this it makes me question whether or not you're just a CoD fanboy. The graphics easily surpassed CoD4 in every way from lighting to shadows. Everything had higher resolution textures with better bump/specular/normal mapping. The lighting makes CoD4 look like absolute crap. The only place where it even comes close to being in the same league as CoD4 is the player models.
helium wrote:When I had played the game for an hour or two I started to get very annoyed at how long it would take to get from one mission to the next, and how boring it would be to just run/drive with no action.
Perfectly valid. I also found it a bit excessive. However, the no action is an outright lie.
helium wrote:But when the enemies finally pop up, they pop up at completely random places, and in big groups.
No, they pop up at guard posts. You know, the ones clearly marked on your map with the black person on the circular white icon. The numbers at each of those is by no means excessive, I've never encountered a guard post with more than 5, and if you're lazy you can typically just get on your jeep gun and take them out that way. That, and random cars on the road (which you would kind of expect considering it being a place where people live and move around and stuff).
helium wrote:Something that I noticed after being attacked while going to a new mission was that the enemy moved exactly the same every time, so it wasn't hard to know their next move etc. The AI wasn't smart. Not at all. They acted like I didn't exist, and the only difference in Easy and Hard mode is that the enemy has better aim. No improvements in how they move, or how they try new ways to take you down.
Of course. If you are passing guard posts in the same place, they will be standing in the same place because they are at a guard post, they have positions they are supposed to be. Therefore, they will react the same way. However, if you had entered a shantytown once or twice and taken on the guys moving even slightly different you would have realized they are quite dynamic. Sure, the ai isn't perfect, but it also isn't scripted. Take a look at your precious CoD4. The AI is extremely predictable and repetitive there too.
helium wrote:I got pretty bored after an hour or two and downloaded some cheats that would give me diamonds so I could try out all the new weapons, but it didn't work so I just kind of quit the game.
Obviously it isn't your type of game, it doesn't mean you have to write a review like you did with BIA finding flaws in it that don't even exist.
helium wrote:Overall it's a very good looking game, and I love how you can run around wherever you want, but at the moment I don't feel like running through an actionless forest for 20 minutes.
Then I would suggest hopping in a jeep or a boat and driving for 2-3 minutes to action.
helium wrote:Right now I want action, right now I want COD4.
Precisely something a fanboy would say. Tbh, don't play games like this. You obviously like shallow fps's w/ nonstop action. That is fine. But don't criticize a game just because it isn't your style.

Also, I'd just like to clarify I'm not attacking you personally or anything. I just believe you're being biased and illogical in your review, and stuff like that really irritates me.
ImageImageImage
"Zaitsev is a cunt." - Pedsdude

Nightmare
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Nightmare » October 26th, 2008, 8:01 am

Such a fantastic engine!
I have finished the game and the story is so well done.
Top 5 favorite games for sure!

I've been messing with the level editor, I managed to make this nice looking scene.
I even cropped it for a suitable desktop background if any of you guys want it.

Coding is Poetry. Mapping is Art.
"Cause im the sexiest mapper ever...except for nm, that sexy man" - Soviet

-=[CoDJumper.com Movies]=-
[Ambush] || [Backlot] || [Bloc] || [Bog] || [Broadcast] || [Chinatown] || [Countdown]
[Crash] || [Creek] || [Crossfire] || [District] || [Downpour] || [Killhouse] || [Overgrown]
[Pipeline] || [Shipment & Wetwork] || [Showdown] || [Strike] || [Vacant]

JDogg
Too cool for CoDJumper
Too cool for CoDJumper

Post by JDogg » October 26th, 2008, 10:48 am

That pic is great NM, I'm installing the game now.

helium
CJ Spammer!
CJ Spammer!

Post by helium » October 26th, 2008, 11:18 am

Soviet wrote:
helium wrote:I loaded my last save, which was in a car, and the first thing I noticed was how bad the car physics were. I don't care though, since I have never been a fan of driving cars in games.
What is bad about the car physics? You hit a bump you roll down the other side and the car bounces due to the suspension. You stop accelerating it slows down due to friction and air resistance to a stop. You drive it into water it stops working. You shoot it with an rpg, it blows up. The physics were perfectly fine for a game which isn't centered around cars.

I mean the way the car turns, accelerates and stops. If you have ever drove (spelling?) a car before, you would know exactly what I mean. But since you're 15, I doubt it. I may be wrong though!

helium wrote:I was very satisfied with the graphics though, especially the details.
satisfied? When you say stuff like this it makes me question whether or not you're just a CoD fanboy. The graphics easily surpassed CoD4 in every way from lighting to shadows. Everything had higher resolution textures with better bump/specular/normal mapping. The lighting makes CoD4 look like absolute crap. The only place where it even comes close to being in the same league as CoD4 is the player models.

By satisfied, I mean I like it A LOT. But now you're exaggrating. We both know that this game doesn't make COD4 look like crap. It does look better than COD4, I agree. But, it does NOT make it look like crap.
helium wrote:When I had played the game for an hour or two I sta
rted to get very annoyed at how long it would take to get from one mission to the next, and how boring it would be to just run/drive with no action.
Perfectly valid. I also found it a bit excessive. However, the no action is an outright lie.

No it is not a lie. Maybe it was because I played on easy mode that the enemies refused to show up.
helium wrote:But when the enemies finally pop up, they pop up at completely random places, and in big groups.
No, they pop up at guard posts. You know, the ones clearly marked on your map with the black person on the circular white icon. The numbers at each of those is by no means excessive, I've never encountered a guard post with more than 5, and if you're lazy you can typically just get on your jeep gun and take them out that way. That, and random cars on the road (which you would kind of expect considering it being a place where people live and move around and stuff).

No, they do not pop up at guard posts. They pop up in jeeps, 2-3 seconds away from me, and right before they popped up, I clearly checked around for enemies, but didn't see/hear any, and clearly if they pop up in jeeps, I should have heard them before they just show up from nowhere.
helium wrote:Something that I noticed after being attacked while going to a new mission was that the enemy moved exactly the same every time, so it wasn't hard to know their next move etc. The AI wasn't smart. Not at all. They acted like I didn't exist, and the only difference in Easy and Hard mode is that the enemy has better aim. No improvements in how they move, or how they try new ways to take you down.
Of course. If you are passing guard posts in the same place, they will be standing in the same place because they are at a guard post, they have positions they are supposed to be. Therefore, they will react the same way. However, if you had entered a shantytown once or twice and taken on the guys moving even slightly different you would have realized they are quite dynamic. Sure, the ai isn't perfect, but it also isn't scripted. Take a look at your precious CoD4. The AI is extremely predictable and repetitive there too.

I don't mean their positions. I mean how they move. Read better next time. If you think that it's cool that the enemy moves and says exactly the same line on and on again, then that's up to you, but I like it with variation. On one of the missions my object was to kill some police officer, and he took the same route around the map every single time so I just waited for him. How stupid would you be if you get attacked by someone, escaped and then coming back on the same route over and over again?
helium wrote:I got pretty bored after an hour or two and downloaded some cheats that would give me diamonds so I could try out all the new weapons, but it didn't work so I just kind of quit the game.
Obviously it isn't your type of game, it doesn't mean you have to write a review like you did with BIA finding flaws in it that don't even exist.

I already stated that it's not my type of game, and no I didn't say that I found flaws that didn't exist in BIA.
helium wrote:Overall it's a very good looking game, and I love how you can run around wherever you want, but at the moment I don't feel like running through an actionless forest for 20 minutes.
Then I would suggest hopping in a jeep or a boat and driving for 2-3 minutes to action.

I meant driving/running through an actionless forest. The game takes about 30 minutes AT LEAST to get from one side to the other of the map with a car, and that's exactly what I had to do. No enemies, no houses, just road and forest. That sucked balls. Maybe it was because I played on easy mode, but if they think that the only difference you need to make between easy and hard is to reduce the amount of enemies and their aim, then they need to reconsider that.
helium wrote:Right now I want action, right now I want COD4.
Precisely something a fanboy would say. Tbh, don't play games like this. You obviously like shallow fps's w/ nonstop action. That is fine. But don't criticize a game just because it isn't your style.

A review is mostly about your own reflections. First you would say some of the story first, and then say your own reflections, but since someone already said something about the story, I skipped it. I clearly said what I thought about the game, and remember, it's my OPINIONS. Not facts.

Also, I'd just like to clarify I'm not attacking you personally or anything. I just believe you're being biased and illogical in your review, and stuff like that really irritates me.
I know that, and I know that you think that I'm just some unthankful brat that saws every single game that comes out, but before I started my review I stated that it's not my type of game. And if you really go through those car psysics and read everything that I typed now and check them out, you'll see that I am pretty correct on most of them. I wouldn't just say things out of nowhere. I know what I am talking about dude.

Nice image btw Nightmare.

[SoE]_Zaitsev
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by [SoE]_Zaitsev » October 26th, 2008, 1:37 pm

Yeh Soviet, shut it. Every time Helium sais something about a game you flame at him again. It's his opinion. He thinks it's ok, you think it's great, end of story.

Now shut it both, play the damn game since we all know IT IS A GOOD GAME wether you like playing ot or not.
matt101harris wrote:big cock was the first thing that came to my head lol