Skinning Tutorial-Making a basic scope skin

Have a question about modding, modelling or skinning? Have a tutorial to post? Post here!

Moderator: Core Staff

Tehdisciple
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Skinning Tutorial-Making a basic scope skin

Post by Tehdisciple » November 20th, 2007, 2:24 am

Making a scope skin

In this short tutorial, I will teach you how to make a scope texture for Cod. Note*this is not what you see when you aim down the sight for snipers.Note*this will not look that realistic, because you are creating a custom scope unless you are very good graphics designer.

Programs required:

DDS Converter
Microsoft Paint (Or better)
Winrar

Let’s start by starting with the scope texture. For this I made a simple texture in paint, and photo shopped it with a Gaussian blur. Then I came back to paint and drew detail. Note*Save as .bmp if Microsoft paint. (better detail)
Once this is done, open up your main folder and open pak3.pk3 with winrar. Find the texture metal@springfield.dds and viewmodel@springfield.dds
Note*the view model texture is in pak4.pk3
Copy/extract these to either desktop or any folder you wish.
Time to use DDS converter. Open it up and browse to the .dds files you extracted. Look near bottom and find output format. Put to bmp or Jpeg (whichever you prefer.) Do the same to all three if you selected them.
Now go to the Jpeg/bmp files and open 1 with paint. You will notice that there are glass scopes. There should be 2 of them. Now, carefully select your scope and copy that into the jpg/bmp. Scale it down to the right size to fit over the scope. Note* the reason why there are 2 is because one for the front and one for the back. I am using another texture for the back.
Once all the scopes are skinned, save the Jpeg/Bmp files. Now go back to the DDS converter and convert the jpg/bmp to DDS.
Now go to your call of duty folder (C:\Program Files\Call of duty\) and create a folder called scopetest. Inside the folder, create a folder called skins. Drag your DDS files and put them in the skins folder. Right click and add to archive. Put it to zip and make the name Scopetest.pk3.
Time to test. Go into call of duty, click on mods, click on Scopetest and test it out!

If it didn’t work, check over it again. If you have questions, comments, suggestions for future tutorials, add me on xfire: m00n1. Tutorial made for: http://www.CoDJumper.com -for all of your codjumping needs
Xfire:m00n1
" i just crashed paint -.-" - Disciple

Luke
Past/Inactive Team Member
Past/Inactive Team Member

Post by Luke » November 20th, 2007, 1:10 pm

Nice tut, stickied. An in-game screenie would be cool too :wink:
Watch this before posting a question: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

Tehdisciple
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

thanks

Post by Tehdisciple » November 23rd, 2007, 2:49 am

thanks, i would of put an ingame screenie but i am getting the error pak/sum name mismatch.. i am trying to figure out the problem =/
Xfire:m00n1
" i just crashed paint -.-" - Disciple

[SoE]_Zaitsev
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by [SoE]_Zaitsev » November 23rd, 2007, 9:26 pm

Isn't that because of too many mods/custom maps in your main folder ? Try empty it.
matt101harris wrote:big cock was the first thing that came to my head lol

Pedsdude
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pedsdude » November 24th, 2007, 8:01 am

Yeah I told him that's what was causing it, but he's still having problems.

YaNo
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by YaNo » November 24th, 2007, 5:12 pm

It's becuase of a pk3 with a space in it.

DarthDuval
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Re: Skinning Tutorial-Making a basic scope skin

Post by DarthDuval » March 1st, 2008, 7:56 pm

can i also change the view when i scope the springfield, i mean, now its like this:

i thought first that the tut was going to explain how to chenge this, but it doesnt...
DarthDuval was here...