Tutorial - Lightray 3D: Making a basic weapon

Have a question about modding, modelling or skinning? Have a tutorial to post? Post here!

Moderator: Core Staff

Tehdisciple
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Tutorial - Lightray 3D: Making a basic weapon

Post by Tehdisciple » September 13th, 2007, 4:39 am

Hey, I have noticed there aren't much tutorials on modeling. So i thought i would post something pretty simple providing u have a basic knowledge of lightray 3d. I am here to teach you how to create a basic weapon.
56k beware.. pics
First, Find the picture you want, (I am using an mp44 you can use the same picture also)
Now, go to the veiwport tab on top left corner,go to veiwport properties,browse for the picture check off apply to all veiwports tab, And press OK.
Now go on the left side of the screen, and press flat-textured... (once the gun is a mesh you will be able to see the texture)
Time to start on the gun, so go to the create tab, bring down the drop down menu and select "Shapes", you will see circle, eclipse, line, and rectangle. Select Line. Now go to the grid, find the one that says "Front". Front is important so when/if you import to vcod it wont be sideways. Now trace the outline of your gun so it looks like this:
Note*Do not make the line around the trigger guard. Make it up and around it. Otherwise it will be covered and there will be no trigger. We will make the trigger guard+trigger later. Ok, so now select the line you drew, go to the modify tab, scroll down and find Extrude. IF you do not know what it looks like here it is:

okay, now go to where it says Extrude: 0.0 change that to 15.0 (good gun width)
Also where it says segments: 1 change that for 3 now (More segments = more detail)
now press extrude. A window will come up and ask if you want to delete the shape. click yes.
Now you have a mesh. It should look something like this. notice that on the front view, the mesh looks like its almost aligned with it. Try and do that your best
Now, its time to make the trigger guard +trigger. To make the trigger guard, trace round the guard using the line again, but then retrace it thicker, its hard to explain... but here is a pic:
The first trace is in red, second in green, to show what i did.
The reason i had you go back instead of connecting it there because it would cover the area where the trigger is. So now for the trigger,
Make a line in the shape of a trigger around the textured area of it. so it will look like this
pretty self explanatory.
Ok, now its time to make these into meshes
So now highlight the trigger guard and trigger, go to materials tab, scroll down and hit extrude. Make the extrude: 3 and segments 3. The trigger+guard is smaller then the gun. Now, click on the move tool and move both the guard and trigger into middle of gun(hold ctrl to select multiple meshes) Try not to forget that =)

Ok now for the sights. ( i will not go into much detail because this is a basic weapon. But if you do wish to know how to make more of a sight. Contact me on xfire.
Ok, now go and draw a line around where the first part of the sight is.
here is what it looks like:
Now make it into a mesh... But extrude 5.0 dont make it 3 thats a little bit too small.
Do the same steps for sight on lower sight, try and be pretty acurrate on the height.
Now select the main part of your gun. go to modify tab, scroll down and click attach. now click on all of the parts that aren't on the gun. So now you have 1 big mesh. now while in modify tab, click on vertex. Now little blue things will be on your gun. Those are verticies (duh) go to the barrel and make it somewhat rounded.So now the finished gun should look like this:
note* Ignore the part of my barrel, i usually create it separate. so i messed up on that part =D
And thats it! A basic weapon for call of duty.
I will expand this tutorial and show how to texture it.. but for now thats it.
Any questions, comments, suggestions, or if you want model i made, add me on xfire,
m00n1
Xfire:m00n1
" i just crashed paint -.-" - Disciple

Deadly
CJ Fan
CJ Fan

Post by Deadly » September 18th, 2007, 9:00 pm

nice tut :D codjumper needs more modeling tuts. keep up the good work. and oh yeah OWNT!

mox123456
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe
Gamertag: mox123456

Re: Tutorial - Lightray 3D: Making a basic weapon

Post by mox123456 » November 6th, 2008, 11:16 pm

Hey, Disiple amazing Tutorial :) thanks lot. Can you please make tut on how to Xporte the weapon in to call of duty :)
i wove pedsdude and nightmare :D

JDogg
Too cool for CoDJumper
Too cool for CoDJumper

Re: Tutorial - Lightray 3D: Making a basic weapon

Post by JDogg » November 7th, 2008, 7:07 am

KillerSam wrote:
mox123456 wrote:Hey, Disiple amazing Tutorial :) thanks lot. Can you please make tut on how to Xporte the weapon in to call of duty :)
Check the date of the post ;)
Rofl.
mox123456 wrote:Hey, Disiple amazing Tutorial :) thanks lot. Can you please make tut on how to Xporte the weapon in to call of duty :)
Add him to xfire and ask him there mate.