Mapz?

Have questions about CoD/UO mapping that aren't covered in the tutorials section? Post here!

Moderator: Core Staff

Mapz...

Post by Guest » September 13th, 2006, 12:01 pm

k,, canu add already made buildings or jeeps or anything because on mods online they have buildings and crap you cand ownload? and how do u use it :?

creator
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by creator » September 13th, 2006, 2:14 pm

keep trying dont ask people to make it then u never learn it..
Cod 1 Mapper&Modder&Moddeler

Luke
Past/Inactive Team Member

Post by Luke » September 13th, 2006, 4:37 pm

wrong answer this is cod mapping.... j/k :P think its the same in cod radiant, but I don't use prefabs so i'm not sure :wink:
Watch this before posting a question: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » September 13th, 2006, 5:22 pm

Nope, not the same in both...

CoD1...
Click "Edit" then "Load Prefab". The locate your pfb file...
Or
Click "File" then "load" and find your .map file...

CoD2
Right-click 2D winow and select "Misc" then "prefab" and find the .map file (pfb files are not used in cod2)
Or
Click "File" then "Load" and select your .map file

(There is no difference between the 2 in CoD1, but in CoD2, using a prefab will not be editable unless you load the prefab [Right-Click 2D, select "Prefab" then "Enter Prefab"]. If you use the second method in CoD2, the individual brushes will be loaded into the editor)
Virgin Media 20Mb Broadband:
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."
Borked internet since: 22-07-2010

HavoC
CJ Fan
CJ Fan

Post by HavoC » September 13th, 2006, 8:51 pm

kk ive got it goin i can make stuff im learning how to compile now then i gotta make doors and crapand find out this stuff.. ty mates and anmor helpful hints throw em at me

Luke

Post by Luke » September 13th, 2006, 9:15 pm

HavoC wrote:kk ive got it goin i can make stuff im learning how to compile now then i gotta make doors and crapand find out this stuff.. ty mates and anmor helpful hints throw em at me
Use caulk, and learn how to mitre. Start off making all your brushes out of caulk, then texture only the sides that will be seen using control shift click to select the faces, then apply the texture to your caulked brushes.

Good practice of this is to make a skybox, see if you can make a "mitered" sky box, the box should be all caulk except for the 6 inside faces where you apply the sky texture.

Thats the professional way to make a skybox, and a good habbit to get into. A lazy csg hollowed box would also work, but not recommended. You may think well it works so what the hell, but thats the sort of attitude that will leave you with a badly made map.
Watch this before posting a question: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » September 14th, 2006, 12:02 am

Luke wrote:You may think well it works so what the hell, but thats the sort of attitude that will leave you with a badly made map.
and untold compile error
Virgin Media 20Mb Broadband:
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."
Borked internet since: 22-07-2010

HavoC
CJ Fan
CJ Fan

Post by HavoC » September 14th, 2006, 7:53 pm

ok ty but sry for all questions.. i have 1 mor then i set :D ok.. it wont let me use actors like britishofficcers and crap? ideas guyz? :shock:

Mapz...?

Post by Guest » September 15th, 2006, 2:58 am

ok..i was wondering are bsp files the same aspk3 files... ive compiled and got bsp file and ive tested my map but... if they are diff how do you make a pk3 file instead of bsp?

Soviet
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Soviet » September 15th, 2006, 3:07 am

a .pk3 file is what the map is packed into along with everything else that goes with your map...it is like a zip file in a way. To create and manipulate rar files you need winrar:

http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm
(top link on that page should be the right download for you)

After that, your files go into a .pk3 file that you create along with anything else. To create a .pk3 file go to file, new, winrar zip archive. Then right click on the file, and click rename. Then replace .zip at the end with .pk3. If this does not work or there is no .zip then you need to go to options/folder options in your folder browser. From there go to view and look through the list. Uncheck certain options such as ones that say "hide known file extensions" or maybe "hide hidden files and folders". You might get a warning, ignore it. From there you right click on your .pk3 file, go to open with, and choose winrar, browse if you need to. The files go into the following:

.bsp and .gsc: /maps/mp
loading screen: /levelshots
.arena files: /mp
custom textures: /textures (note this can vary depending the original directory your image file was in before putting it in the .pk3)

those are the directory paths within the file. If the folders dont exist, right click on the window and click create new folder, and name it what it needs to be named. To add new files, go to add file to archive, then browse to your file and add it. Note also, you might get a trial message or something, just click "continue trial" or whatever similar button there is.

Basically, .bsp files are the maps, .pk3 are the holding zip equivilants of all game files and are the final resting place for maps

hope that wasnt too confusing for you :wink:
ImageImageImage
"Zaitsev is a cunt." - Pedsdude

Mapz..?

Post by Guest » September 16th, 2006, 12:37 am

:twisted: ok soz mates i have another question lol.. i almost done with my first map and stuff.. but how do u make a downstairs like stairs going down or something ;\..i think im set after this :D im goin to try and turn to pk3 after i think

HavoC
CJ Fan
CJ Fan

Mapz..?

Post by HavoC » September 16th, 2006, 1:07 am

k,, i have tried to make a pk3 but few errors in directions :? i do not see new..? and i might of missed something else butt..?

Soviet
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Soviet » September 16th, 2006, 4:23 am

oh, right, its under file on the windows browser.

As for stairs, just make interconnected vertical and horizontal brushes
ImageImageImage
"Zaitsev is a cunt." - Pedsdude

Mapz..?

Post by Guest » September 16th, 2006, 12:50 pm

ojk ty m8,, would anyone no whymy cod folder just disapered :? i went into it and was about to comile my map.. then it just exited out and the cod folder is emptied :\ anyone no?

HavoC
CJ Fan
CJ Fan

Mapz..?

Post by HavoC » September 16th, 2006, 1:33 pm

if someone nos something bout this answer me asap plz because if no1 nos i have to buy new cod :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( .. i cant use cod radiant atm either