Just a quick general question

Have questions about CoD2 mapping that aren't covered in the tutorials section? Post here!

Moderator: Core Staff

red_gee
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Just a quick general question

Post by red_gee » July 9th, 2006, 9:37 pm

I am new to Radiant, and mapping in general, But I have mapped before, a little bit in doom and a bit in FarCry on console, which is liking having your hand led, there is way more options in radiant, and I kinda like it

Well my question, I am actually trying to reproduce a map from scratch, don't want to give too much away about the map itself.
It is obvious that you don't overlap brushes. But playing some custom maps I have noticed (on many occasions) that it appears as though light sometimes leaks through corners of walls. I presume this is because the mapper just butted to walls together, (ie, didn't take the time to clip the walls at a forty five degree angle and then slide them against each other).
Is this butting the cause for (what I will call) light leaks into rooms?

Ty in advance

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » July 9th, 2006, 9:57 pm

Yes. If walls are not made at 45 degree angles, light can leak through... but although I am known for telling people to use 45 degree angled walls as often as possible, in very detailed maps, this is not always possible (most of my pavlov port is made of striaght angled walls)
Virgin Media 20Mb Broadband:
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."
Borked internet since: 22-07-2010

aicaramba
Past/Inactive Team Member

Post by aicaramba » July 9th, 2006, 10:02 pm

If u look at basic tutorial for making a room at http://www.modsonline.com, they dont tell u do angle the corners..
P.S.V. Kampioen!

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » July 9th, 2006, 11:25 pm

aicaramba wrote:If u look at basic tutorial for making a room at http://www.modsonline.com, they dont tell u do angle the corners..
Hence basic.
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."

red_gee
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by red_gee » July 10th, 2006, 12:04 am

Okay that is what I figured
Now to the next obvious level of the question, when joining two walls (or floors/ceilings) on the same plane (no corner) should you then joing them along a forty five degree angle aswell?

The logical answer to me is yes

But maybe not because a corner is different I would think, you have just contact on the vertices (sp), which could be infinetely small, and with joing two walls on a plane, you have that whole brush edge, whether it be 1 to any number of game units, you still have measurable "contact"

Or is it just simply the "overlap" that "seals" the light?

Luke

Post by Luke » July 10th, 2006, 12:42 am

The main thing about joining things is that the connecting surfaces are caulked and touching each other.
so for corners, mitre joints are best where possible, as its the best way to make the unseen surfaces caulked and join the brushes. you don't have to do this for joining brushes that are inline with each other if thats what u mean..you just make sure the brushes touch each other, but dont overlap.

red_gee
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by red_gee » July 10th, 2006, 2:33 am

Okay good
That saves a lot of work on floors and ceilings and walls
And makes sense too, because when you clip out a door or a window you don't go back and "mitre" (<--good term Luke) the adjoining joints
I'm just doing my best to produce a professional quality map and/or prefabs. I just wanna get it right the first time (or as close to the first time as possible)
Thanks again

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » July 10th, 2006, 11:40 am

Yeh, with CoD2, I wouldn't worry much about the light leaking like in vCoD, the engine deals with it much better.

Take a look at the 2 example maps provided by IW and you will see how they map (and I can tell you, they use a lot of what I believe to be bad mapping techniques (such as overlaps))...