Cod 4 Strafe jump tips.

For jump related chat that is specific to the PC

Moderators: Core Staff, PC Team

Pandabeef
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Cod 4 Strafe jump tips.

Post by Pandabeef » March 20th, 2013, 9:04 pm

Hey, I'm quite new to strafe jumping so I would like some tips like, what are your controls when strafing (forward,left,right,back,strafe). Also I really dont understand the concept of the strafe button, if someone could explain that, it would be much appreciated.
Thx :D

megazor
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Re: Cod 4 Strafe jump tips.

Post by megazor » March 21st, 2013, 12:36 pm

Actually, you don't have to strafe to jump farther than normal. Strafing only makes it easier. In detail, with strafing you would jump looking at the landing position, and without strafing you would have to turn your mouse much more so that you can't see the landing position after you jumped; basically, you would be flying sidelong about the landing position.

x0ozero0x
PS3 Team
PS3 Team
PSN ID: x0ozero0x

Post by x0ozero0x » March 21st, 2013, 2:36 pm

megazor stop making things harder than they need to be...He's obviously new and telling him that you don't need to use a strafe key is just going to make it harder for him.
I would recommend that you watch some of the video tutorials on the CoDJumper channel/YouTube if you haven't done so already. You want your strafe to look like it does in the tutorials, if it doesn't you're doing something wrong. Most of the errors occur with the mouse movement. DON'T ABUSE YOUR MOUSE.
Link to the first tutorial in the playlist:

sprint (hold) - forward - strafe key - SMOOTH turn - jump. Essentially, but it's a lot easier to type than perform :P It just takes practice.
But to answer your question the strafe key just means walk left or right, don't think of it as a strafe button it isn't really the main concept of the strafe jump it just aids it.

Pandabeef
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by Pandabeef » March 21st, 2013, 3:07 pm

When i press the strafe key it doesnt let me turn with the mouse, while holding the strafe key the mouse either makes me go left or right but i cannot turn? Is that what it should do or am i doing something wrong?

x0ozero0x
PS3 Team
PS3 Team
PSN ID: x0ozero0x

Post by x0ozero0x » March 21st, 2013, 4:18 pm

What? You always have to turn, depending on which strafe key you use will depend on which way you need to turn. A means turn left, D means turn right. Watch the tutorial again it explains this.
Look where you are strafing to and make an intelligent decision on whether to use a left or right strafe. If it is just a gap like in mp_codjumper_training then either will do.

Pandabeef
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by Pandabeef » March 21st, 2013, 4:44 pm

But in the controls there is a button called strafe in the move section. Does that have something to do with strafe jumpin? Im sorry that im so dumb but i really want to understand the real technique for strafe jumping.

[SoE]_Zaitsev
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by [SoE]_Zaitsev » March 21st, 2013, 5:59 pm

I knew we would get that problem. Completely ignore the strafe button in the controls menu. In this case, the 'strafe' key is A and D.

Also, back in the days of CoD1 we learned strafe jumping the hard way, there were hardly any video tutorials (If there were any at all), might be outdated advice, but mine has always been to just play on a simple custom map, and keep at it, you'll beat jumps in time. Watching our video tutorial now is very good though :)
matt101harris wrote:big cock was the first thing that came to my head lol

Pandabeef
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by Pandabeef » March 21st, 2013, 6:09 pm

Thank you for the advice and I will take it, but 1 last question. The use of the strafe button, will this give you longer jumps. Is the strafe button neccesary for some jumps? Also when strafing im supposed to sprint forward and hold A or D, is it the same thing if I would hold the sprint, forward and A or D at the same time already in the beginning?

[SoE]_Zaitsev
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by [SoE]_Zaitsev » March 21st, 2013, 6:50 pm

If you want to strafe left, you obviously use A and W. Right, D and W.

Don't bother with the strafe button in options.
matt101harris wrote:big cock was the first thing that came to my head lol

Pandabeef
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by Pandabeef » March 21st, 2013, 8:25 pm

In the mp_codjumper_training i can jump to max 294 i think. Any ways to get further? Also I really rarely get that far without having to spend 5min. per jump.

megazor
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by megazor » March 22nd, 2013, 2:37 am

294 is pretty good for a beginner. 310+ is considered a pro league. With 125 fps, of course.
The best way to improve your gap and general jumping is watching how other guys jump. From the following page you can download records of best cod4 gap jumpers:

http://www.codjumper.com/gaprecords.php

Just watch them 1000 times, and try, try, try. This is how I (and believe, everyone here) learned it. If you spend really plenty of time on gap jumping, in the worst case you will manage to do 310. Which is very good.

As to your question about the use of strafe buttons, I would say, strafe jump is definitely not the best name for the way of jumping farther than normal in Quake, CoD and other games based on the Quake engine. This is because the key part of the strafe jump is mouse turning, not strafing. It is the turning that accelerates you and thus allows to jump farther. Strafing only makes it easier and adds like 5 extra units to the whole distance.