DayZ ?! (Arma 2 + Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead)

Discussion for other PC and console games

Moderator: Core Staff

Sonic
PC Team
PC Team

DayZ ?! (Arma 2 + Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead)

Post by Sonic » July 14th, 2012, 4:13 pm

Loads of commotion about the DayZ mod lately :).

For those who don't know what DayZ is, it's a hardcore zombie survival mod based on Arma 2.
There is no winner, it's pure survival and collecting your supplies from abandoned cities. Also, it's not just the zombies you have to avoid, also the actual players intend to kill you to loot your own supplies :D.

Perhaps not the game for everyone since it's very slow gameplay, loads of sneaking etc.
I just got it yesterday and I'm liking it alot so far. For those who consider buying it, do it 8).

Btw, -20% off now on steam for the whole combined operations pack!

x0ozero0x
PS3 Team
PS3 Team
PSN ID: x0ozero0x

Re: DayZ ?! (Arma 2 + Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead)

Post by x0ozero0x » July 14th, 2012, 8:13 pm

Well it looks like one of those games that would only be fun playing with at least one close friend (similar to Dead Island). Going around solo would get rather boring especially if you just die constantly. It does look a tad buggy (again similar to Dead Island :P ) but you have to give it some leeway I guess since it is just a mod. Not sure ARMAs worth getting just for this, especially since idk anyone else who owns it.

Sonic
PC Team
PC Team

Post by Sonic » July 14th, 2012, 9:26 pm

x0ozero0x wrote:Well it looks like one of those games that would only be fun playing with at least one close friend (similar to Dead Island). Going around solo would get rather boring especially if you just die constantly. It does look a tad buggy (again similar to Dead Island :P ) but you have to give it some leeway I guess since it is just a mod. Not sure ARMAs worth getting just for this, especially since idk anyone else who owns it.
It's really not as buggy as it looks, ofcourse there are SOME bugs but that's because it's an alpha test :).
They've already confirmed that they're trying to make a proper version of this mod and I wouldn't be surprised if they released an actual game based upon all this since the concept is too good to just be a mod.

As for the popularity of this mod, there are currently 1361 servers and 26790 players online at this very moment.
And that for just a mod based on Arma 2 lol :D.

Pedsdude
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pedsdude » July 14th, 2012, 11:02 pm

As I mentioned in the Steam sales topic, it definitely looks appealing to me, and as others have said, £20 is quite steep, so I probably wouldn't pay it unless I had confirmation from a few close friends that they would also buy it so we can stick together etc.

Sonic
PC Team
PC Team

Post by Sonic » July 14th, 2012, 11:39 pm

Yeah it's definitely more fun and playable if you have some friends or a team to roll with indeed.
Although close friends are the more preferred :P.

I bought it with the risk that some of my xfire friends would have it but I got the members of my promod team intrested to buy it so we've ended up with 4 people :D.

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » July 14th, 2012, 11:42 pm

Watched at least a few hours of streamed gameplay. It looked jumpy, glitchy, slow pased and boring.

Zombies would morph around and jump all over the place rubberband style, the hud system is clunky and the general user base is full of 'kill everything' gamers. A survival game where the majority of players are 'kill hunting' is just a game of hide and seek.

The engine is the worst engine on the current gen market.
Virgin Media 20Mb Broadband:
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."
Borked internet since: 22-07-2010

Soviet
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Soviet » July 15th, 2012, 4:01 am

I mostly agree with Droffy. I think people have just gotten a little too obsessed with zombies. So now anything with zombies is instantly amazing. The concept is great, but the execution is definitely lacking so far. That said, I'll get it if it goes 75% off.
ImageImageImage
"Zaitsev is a cunt." - Pedsdude

Infinite
PC Team
PC Team

Post by Infinite » July 15th, 2012, 9:43 am

I've played this game for about two weeks now, and it's definitely an interesting concept. This is probably the most realistic zombie game I've played, and I quite enjoy it. You have to worry about a lot in the game, and it can become more of a horror game if you ever join a night server without night vision (which is one of the rarest items in the game). Rubberbanding is rare, hud is fairly clunky, players are definitely more of a threat than zombies, and zombies are very glitchy (they go through walls, go from running after to you down to a slow walk when they get inside a building, etc). Most of the game is running to the north in order to get the best loot (at Stary Sobor/NW Airfield) and being paranoid as fuck.

One of my first experiences with the game was going north when I found a barn. I heard from a friend that barns have some of the lower tier guns (shotguns and hunting rifles), so I went to check it out. As I went up to it I saw a guy prone with an AKM next to me and he yelled out "FRIENDLY?" over the mic. At this point I didn't have a gun, only a hatchet, so I didn't say anything until we both got into the barn and I picked up a shotgun. He asked if I got any loot and before I could answer he shot me in the back and brought me down to half of my life as I ran outside. He followed but couldn't find me, probably thinking I passed out or ran away, so he ran back into the barn to see what other loot there was. I could see him and loaded my shotgun, turned the corner, and shot him in the face. The whole experience was exhilarating and I had an adrenaline rush after the shooting began. At that point, I knew I'd play this game for a while, at least until the game comes out of alpha and beta.

That's my personal experience with the game and playing solo. When I first started playing players were a lot more friendly, but now it seems that as it's picking up more players quickly, it's becoming a more hostile environment. If anyone does pick up this game I'd expect about 80% of players to shoot you on site if they have a gun, and 95% of them to be hostile. Some people say "Friendly" then shoot you as you let your guard down. When I first started it was probably closer to 50% to be hostile, but I guess as the population increases, trust decreases or the general intelligence of players decreases as "anonymity" increases. Most groups I ever encounter are hostile and a close group of friends, never a group of random people who met while playing DayZ.

I'd say that if you can find a group of close friends (3+), then go ahead and try it out. I would suggest getting basic things (enfields, revolvers/m1911s, at least 1 food/water for each person, an ALICE pack for everyone), then go find car parts and find a car to fit all of you in it, then blast THIS or something similar in direct communication.

Some videos of hilarious and fun things that can happen in this game:

WARNING: LOUD

"The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together."
"A still more glorious dawn awaits- not a sun rise, but a galaxy rise. A morning filled with four hundred billion suns: the rising of The Milky Way." - Carl Sagan

[15:19] _MattyTÒ£eFarmer_: infinate
[15:19] _MattyTÒ£eFarmer_: u r smarter than me

Pedsdude
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pedsdude » July 15th, 2012, 3:19 pm

KillerSam wrote:Purchased it :wink:

Sonic
PC Team
PC Team

Post by Sonic » July 16th, 2012, 7:08 am

HAHAHAHAHHAA

Pedsdude
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pedsdude » July 16th, 2012, 10:56 pm

LOL.

I have to say, from the ~6 hours I've been playing the game, I've enjoyed it so far, despite not actually having achieved much (I've barely managed to scrape together any supplies/weapons).

Sonic
PC Team
PC Team

Post by Sonic » July 17th, 2012, 6:29 pm

Pedsdude wrote:LOL.

I have to say, from the ~6 hours I've been playing the game, I've enjoyed it so far, despite not actually having achieved much (I've barely managed to scrape together any supplies/weapons).
HOW can you say that after your most luckiest kill in the whole world!? lmao

Pedsdude
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pedsdude » July 17th, 2012, 6:46 pm

Sonic wrote:HOW can you say that after your most luckiest kill in the whole world!? lmao
I didn't get the kill, he had lagged out!

Sonic
PC Team
PC Team

Post by Sonic » July 17th, 2012, 7:49 pm

Pedsdude wrote:
Sonic wrote:HOW can you say that after your most luckiest kill in the whole world!? lmao
Oh lol, do you still have all his shit or did you loose it yet ?
And what about the car? :P

Pedsdude
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pedsdude » July 17th, 2012, 8:35 pm

Sonic wrote:
Pedsdude wrote:
Oh lol, do you still have all his shit or did you loose it yet ?
And what about the car? :P
Crashed it by marginally clipping a TINY pile of rubble in the road and died. Went back, almost got all the stuff but was then attacked by about 20 zombies. Eventually made it back there undetected and the gear had gone. Was fun while it lasted!