PJ|Chucky and his map!

Have a jump map that we don't have on our site? Let us know!

Moderator: Core Staff

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Re: PJ|Chucky and his pro map! (troll)

Post by Drofder2004 » June 18th, 2012, 10:21 pm

Xenon wrote:my maps are good looking ???? :L .............. ive never made a platform map and they all got 4 star rateing :S lol im not dis'ing peoples maps ???!! im sayign lots of new mappers dont get a chance on here cuz of people sayign there maps are bad and so on ......
Everyone is given a chance, its how they wish to use their chance. If you load up CoDRadiant and release a full map after only 7 hours and expect to have shiny responses will get a sharp kick in the shin which will either push them to do better or make them run to safety. Those who stick around will improve and those who run were never intending to produce anything better anyway.

It has been a long time since we have seen a "what could be improved" map post isntead of a "look at my new map" post.
Get you map beta'd by people who have an eye for quality and some mapping experience and you may learn something and improve your map at the same time. If you dont want the criticism, don't start the topic - just add you maps to the list and make a new one.
Virgin Media 20Mb Broadband:
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."
Borked internet since: 22-07-2010

Rezil
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Rezil » June 18th, 2012, 10:29 pm

x0ozero0x wrote:It's not always bad, it's not like they are purposely slagging the map of with something like "it's sh*t" and then not leaving a reason. A lot of the time people post their opinions/criticisms they have on a map (similar to this case) and the mapper just takes it the wrong way or doesn't like it and an argument breaks out, thus this...When they post a thread in this forum they have to be willing to expect positive and negative feedback alike.
P.S. I enjoyed polar it was difficult as well as being quite aesthetically pleasing, good job.
This.

I always tried to give constructive criticism to new mappers but unfortunately most(not all) of them have their heads so far up their asses they pretty much either ignore it, tell me to go make something better(lol) or say that their NEXT map will take into account my advice and that it's only their first map and I should go easy on them. They don't seem to realize that I usually do go easy on them and simply give them some guidelines to help them improve. Things that they could do in 5 minutes if they took the time and properly learned how to map. But I've already started to sound like a broken record so I've mostly stopped trying alltogether.
Drofder2004: Drofder's rules for reviewing a map
[...]
#5 If your name is Rezil, minimum 5/5.
---
<LT>YosemiteSam[NL]:
I heard somewhere that the best way to start is juggling 2 balls with one hand, so you will get a feel for it.

Pedsdude
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pedsdude » June 18th, 2012, 10:36 pm

Rezil wrote:This.

I always tried to give constructive criticism to new mappers but unfortunately most(not all) of them have their heads so far up their asses they pretty much either ignore it, tell me to go make something better(lol) or say that their NEXT map will take into account my advice and that it's only their first map and I should go easy on them. They don't seem to realize that I usually do go easy on them and simply give them some guidelines to help them improve. Things that they could do in 5 minutes if they took the time and properly learned how to map. But I've already started to sound like a broken record so I've mostly stopped trying alltogether.
Indeed, I've found the best way to deal with it is to say "Why don't you try ... instead?" rather than "This isn't a good idea." type comments, because most mappers can't take constructive criticism without thinking you're being mean for the sake of being mean.

Rezil
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Rezil » June 18th, 2012, 10:37 pm

Maybe this actually won't get ignored this time around:
Rezil in 'new map mp_rooftop (COD4)' wrote:I suppose.

Ok, a few tips when making maps:

1. Plan ahead:

I'm sure your awesome idea of a map looks great in your head but the problem is most people(myself included) have difficulties in designing straight from your mind. Plan things out a bit first, write them on a piece of paper to reference later - you might forget your awesome idea later on so it's better to write it down.

2. Caulk:

Judging by the screenshots your map is not caulked at all. Caulk is a very important tool because using it will improve FPS and will lead to mor efficient mapping.
Caulk..

Caulk is an invisible texture when compiled. If you were to make a map of completely caulk it would be the smallest filesize ever, thats because when you compile, the compiler ignores it.

If the player cannot see the texture when walking around, then the texture should be caulk, this will save on loading time, make the fps higher, compile time will be shorter, filesize will be smaller.
3. God damn floating platforms:

Seriously, aren't you people tired of platforms floating in mid-air already? It's been said over and over again: Give it some characteristic, make it resemble something. I'm sure you haven't spent much time on this map, and it shows. Pretty much all of the good maps take a while to finish and if you don't have the time and effort to dedicate to a map you shouldn't be making one in the first place.

4. Brushes

Judging by the screenshots, the brushes are just placed randomly across floating (goddamn) platforms. While this is acceptable for an early draft, you shouldn't release this as a final product. To be blunt, the map looks ugly. It might be fun to play but when making maps the first thing people are going to notice are the visuals - make it look good.

Also, a few good sites to check out:

http://www.infinityward.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page - IW's CoD4 wiki
http://wiki.treyarch.com/wiki/Index - Treyarch's CoD5 wiki
http://modsonline.com/ - The CoD section(ALL of them, don't look only at the cod4 tuts because radiant is pretty much the same in all cods, save for a few improvements as cods progress)

I hope you read what I posted and will fix those issues in your map. Good luck with your project. :P
Drofder2004: Drofder's rules for reviewing a map
[...]
#5 If your name is Rezil, minimum 5/5.
---
<LT>YosemiteSam[NL]:
I heard somewhere that the best way to start is juggling 2 balls with one hand, so you will get a feel for it.

Xenon
CJ Newbie
CJ Newbie
Gamertag: Xenon iz Dubby

Post by Xenon » June 18th, 2012, 10:51 pm

its not me who makes maps in 7 hours :S ............................................................. hahahahaha where u pull that from ??? and yes i as ive said already i take critisism ............ :L vart is the most amazing person ever, hes helped me with everyone of my maps .. i listen to what he has to say and i change my maps for the better ??? soo wtf is this convo about :L:L drop it .....

F |Madness| U
CJ G0D!
CJ G0D!

Post by F |Madness| U » June 18th, 2012, 10:59 pm

Xenon wrote: hahahahaha where u pull that from ???
That is some of the most valuable information on this forum for a mapper, and you laugh at it. I don't map, but I know that any mapper, beginner or veteran, should read and understand those points.
-

Pedsdude
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pedsdude » June 18th, 2012, 11:05 pm

Xenon wrote:its not me who makes maps in 7 hours :S
Some of your remarks have been as equally retarded as pjchucky's, so I think most people in this topic and frequently considering you to be one in the same person.

Xenon
CJ Newbie
CJ Newbie

Post by Xenon » June 19th, 2012, 12:32 am

When people know my maps and there are wt on codjumper of my maps :S ...... i never said anything about 7 hours to make a map :L:L ??????

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » June 19th, 2012, 1:33 am

Xenon wrote:When people know my maps and there are wt on codjumper of my maps :S ...... i never said anything about 7 hours to make a map :L:L ??????
Xenon wrote:7 hours sounds about right to me :|
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=15032&start=27
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."

Xenon
CJ Newbie
CJ Newbie

Post by Xenon » June 19th, 2012, 2:54 am

yes talking about chuckys map derppp :L are you dumb ?? arnt you like 40 ???

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » June 19th, 2012, 10:11 am

Xenon wrote:yes talking about chuckys map derppp :L are you dumb ?? arnt you like 40 ???
You're about as smart as a bag of sand. :)

[SoE]_Zaitsev
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by [SoE]_Zaitsev » June 19th, 2012, 10:54 am

hahaha, this cracks me up :lol:
matt101harris wrote:big cock was the first thing that came to my head lol

Sohvax
CJ Fan
CJ Fan

Post by Sohvax » June 19th, 2012, 11:55 am

Before you consider to officially release a map you've made, you should ask some people to test your map first, people that have a clue about mapping, and a few who don't.
Ask the mappers to make a list of flaws they find in the gameplay or design, or make the list yourself by what they say you should do differently.
You change, improve or fix the errors they found

If they say that the map looks boring or lame and not aesthetically pleasing, then make it aesthetically pleasing.. you can make any map look good and fun to play in, you just need to put time and effort into it.
On all of my maps i spent more time making the maps fun to play, rather than making difficult complex jumps with 6 fps switches in them, also because i'm too shit to do those advanced jumps with all the fps switching.
And even after months and months of time i put into the layout and the design of the map, KS usually still found some mapping flaws to bring up etc.. you know :p there will always be flaws in your map or things that could be done better.

Also, you have to keep in the back of your head about what the community likes in maps, because it is for the community you release your maps, not only for yourself.You want the community to enjoy your map.
I only make maps where there are no floating platforms visible from start to finish of the map, or i try to, but my personal favorite jump maps were platform maps on CoD1 like -> cj_cow, jm_krime, jm_zaitsev, leap-of-faith,...
Just try to think about the community and what they like before releasing a map, perhaps make a topic and post up some screenshots of your upcoming map to see the reactions..
Because if you keep releasing maps this fast, you'll rarely get good comments on it i think.

PS. Making a map fun to play in is not difficult, look at mp_mountainbase, it was back when i didn't know how to merge pieces of terrain together, i also sucked in mapping and still it turned out pretty pleasing to play in from what i've heard, all it took was effort and some ways to hide the flaws in my mapping.

Chucky.
CJ Fan
CJ Fan

Post by Chucky. » June 19th, 2012, 12:29 pm

I look at all the map releases, but I never critique them on the open forums, because people like yourself only want praise on how good things look, but are never willing to be told what would improve it.
I want people too tell me what I've done wrong in the map, but I don't want people just saying it sucked. I know I could of taken it on the head & ignored it all & I know I took it out of line. The dude who said "I bet everyone here is older than him (as in me)", yes your most probably right, yes I'm 21 years of age & yes, I most probably didn't handle this situation in the most mature possible way. Again, I took it bad and I apologize for that too everyone who "took it to heart" 0_o. Maybe next time the haters will actually tell me what's wrong with the freaking map instead of just saying it sucks.

1) I never said I was a pro, I just like pro maps (as in hard maps, not design).
2) Yes I'm 21 and I'm glad I'm 21, it still makes me an adult.
3) Thank you Xenon & Vartazian for your "honest opinions".
4)
I wouldn't even dare to release a map with these platforms, and I am not even a mapper.
How do you know you wouldn't if you're not a mapper? It was my first map, could you at least give me the rights & wrongs? I know the design sucks & the platforms suck, I've been told that (which is why my platforms are now starting too improve). Any other wrongs? Any goods at all? Have you actually played the map all the way trough?
5) I didn't know how too insert Models, fire, real looking water, teleports, proper bounces i.e flat, staight, big, small etc which I now know how too do all that.
6) It isn't about how long it takes, I personally agree with the likers, it's up too the mapper when he releases the map. My last map was called mp_pj_airstrip, I think it's a huge difference too my first one. Yes, I released it quick and if you don't like difficult maps then please don't try this map. It's extremely difficult in a lot of spots, no huge FPS switches, only 125 - 333 & 250 - 333. If you'd like too see how I've improved (if you think I've improved) then maybe you can test but if you do then can I have some honest opinion this time - no trolling, raging and insulting maybe?

Map download: http://projumperz.us/wp-content/uploads ... rstrip.rar
Screenshots: http://projumperz.us/?page_id=65

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » June 19th, 2012, 2:35 pm

I was going to warrant you a response until I read "deleted due to children" on all your old posts. I don't want to go full loop on the subject.

To know what is 'wrong' (not a word I would use) you can refer back to previous posts about what SHOULD be in a map.