Raspberry Pi

General chat area for anything whatsoever

Moderator: Core Staff

waywaaaard
Core Staff
Core Staff

Re: Raspberry Pi

Post by waywaaaard » May 31st, 2012, 2:51 pm

Don't know much about, though wanted to use it with XMBC for some multimedia stuff. Still haven't orderd one. But I guess this will take some time to be delievered.

What do you want to do with it?
THAT HANDS WERE NOT TRACED!
visit my blog: Link
Soviet wrote:Yeah, watch out, Peds will hit you with his +5 D-Battleaxe of homosexuality :roll:

Rich
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by Rich » May 31st, 2012, 4:46 pm

I got mine last week, there is a virtual box image on the raspberrypi.org forum you can download to have a play with while you wait for yours to come. I currently have openelec (XBMC) on it as my car pc.

Hoogie
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Hoogie » May 31st, 2012, 7:16 pm

Never heard of this before but am i correct to understand that you can install XMBC on this and connect it to your TV instead of using a PC or Xbox?
-=[[CoDJumper.com Movies]]=-
[[Ambush]] || [[Backlot]] || [[Bloc]] || [[Bog]] || [[Broadcast]] || [[Chinatown]] || [[Countdown]]
[[Crash]] || [[Creek]] || [[Crossfire]] || [[District]] || [[Downpour]] || [[Killhouse]] || [[Overgrown]]
[[Pipeline]] || [[Shipment & Wetwork]] || [[Showdown]] || [[Strike]] || [[Vacant]]

A woman can fake an orgasm, but a man can fake an entire relationship

ultralala
CJ G0D!
CJ G0D!
Steam: ultralala

Post by ultralala » May 31st, 2012, 7:23 pm

Hoogie wrote:Never heard of this before but am i correct to understand that you can install XMBC on this and connect it to your TV instead of using a PC or Xbox?
You can install everything on it. Its like a complete PC. Well as you may see theres a limited performence but i saw a video running Quake3 perfectly^^
I've been watching you
A lalalala long
A lalalala long long lee long long long

Hoogie
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Hoogie » May 31st, 2012, 7:47 pm

Well ultralala messaged me on xfire and didn't really understand where i was going. So let me try to explain what i would use this for.

I have a current setup which is like this:
I have all my movies/tv shows/etc on my main PC. (which is on the 2nd floor of my house). I've set the maps to 'shared'. Then i connect my laptop downstairs to the TV which runs XMBC.

Now i need to take the laptop with me from time to time so it's a hassle to set it up every time. So the question is, would the Pi be able to replace my laptop in this?

If so, how would you put programs/codecs on it. Is it just a matter of hooking it up to your normal PC and transferring the programs or does it require any programming? And if so, how many and how complex.
[[Ambush]] || [[Backlot]] || [[Bloc]] || [[Bog]] || [[Broadcast]] || [[Chinatown]] || [[Countdown]]
[[Crash]] || [[Creek]] || [[Crossfire]] || [[District]] || [[Downpour]] || [[Killhouse]] || [[Overgrown]]
[[Pipeline]] || [[Shipment & Wetwork]] || [[Showdown]] || [[Strike]] || [[Vacant]]

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » May 31st, 2012, 8:41 pm

Work backwards from your idea.

So, what is your aim to achieve... You want to use it as an education tool, but what would you like it to teach?
Are you talking about teaching, primary school kids general standard school material or are you talking about teaching kids how to do something engineering direction?

If it is the general education route, you can easily work backwards:

- Get a school curriculum for the age groups you are aiming at.
- Look at a range of topics they cover not just "maths, english, etc", actual topics.
- Find learning material for that topic and see how technology could improve it.

So take an example that is quite easy. Early age handwriting.

Currently children use pen, paper and workbooks explaining how to write, you could adapt that into an animated workbook that kids can follow along with the animations to learn how to improve handwriting...

You could then further your program into the more technical side. You could then program a "teacher upload" style function where each kid could 'submit' their work into the teacher via bluetooth (or wifi, etc) and use touchscreen technology.

Modernise the Speak'n'Spell. :)
Virgin Media 20Mb Broadband:
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."
Borked internet since: 22-07-2010

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » May 31st, 2012, 9:01 pm

Oooh, I can't really see a way of creating a new 'scratch' without creating a 'scratch' copy.
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."

waywaaaard
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by waywaaaard » June 23rd, 2012, 7:18 pm

So did you do any useful stuff up to now?
Soviet wrote:Yeah, watch out, Peds will hit you with his +5 D-Battleaxe of homosexuality :roll:

Pedsdude
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pedsdude » June 24th, 2012, 12:52 am

What a spectacular waste of money.

Hoogie
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Hoogie » February 8th, 2013, 9:50 pm

Good job proving Peds wrong. Money well spent.

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » February 8th, 2013, 10:43 pm

KillerSam wrote:
Hoogie wrote:Good job proving Peds wrong. Money well spent.
Flashing lights = value for money right there.
Now by some wood, nails and varnish and case that shit up... could easily sell all of that setup for £5!

Pedsdude
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pedsdude » February 9th, 2013, 2:55 pm

Hoogie wrote:Good job proving Peds wrong. Money well spent.
Still appears to be a waste of money to me, so not proven wrong!

Hoogie
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Hoogie » February 9th, 2013, 5:45 pm

waywaaaard
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by waywaaaard » February 11th, 2013, 10:03 am

Well we had this term also to use the Pi in some projects with some cool results::
[*] Bus stops with sensors to make a sound, a few bus stops are connected and while you are waiting for the bus you can start a jam session
[*] An arbitary game field with multiple markers and a ball, so you can play anywhere you want

It has some potential :)

[SoE]_Zaitsev
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by [SoE]_Zaitsev » March 30th, 2013, 4:58 pm

Why do you like completely useless or completely frustrating, over the top complex stuff so much?
matt101harris wrote:big cock was the first thing that came to my head lol