Enough from flying Platform maps

Have a jump map that we don't have on our site? Let us know!

Moderator: Core Staff

O/S/T-M/O/B
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Enough from flying Platform maps

Post by O/S/T-M/O/B » April 8th, 2012, 5:25 pm

hi i am new here and i made a account cause i have enough from the flying platform maps.
So my Idea to make a Topic for Map Theme Ideas. Every Jumper can write there what map theme must be cool or funny and the mappers can read it and search for cool theme what good for his map. i hope here comes much Ideas in. and its cool when some good mapper saying how hard it is to make the Idea to a map Theme and if it possible. i hope you guys understand my bad english.

Goro92
CJ Spammer!
CJ Spammer!

Re: Enough from flying Platform maps

Post by Goro92 » April 8th, 2012, 6:13 pm

not the best english, but i understood what u want to say :P

i agree with you .. every week a new map appears and...floating plaforms! and 3 2 1 3 2 1 jumps ! yes a bit bored :D

yes my english is bad too

// edit:

i add this link (got from an old topic of cj) for themes' ideas http://www.worldofleveldesign.com/categ ... ations.php

Nekoneko
CJ Fan
CJ Fan

Post by Nekoneko » April 8th, 2012, 6:34 pm

Agree here too.
Most maps being released lack of so much creativity :/
The bounces are pretty much the same over and over again with higher bounces than before
It gets boring after time

Very good link there goro!
Enough for anyone to go start making a good themed map

YppaH
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by YppaH » April 8th, 2012, 8:58 pm

Totally agree with Cyg,

maybe i'll try to do my own map in about two months.
But for the others who wanna have a try on their own here is a nice link i found and often use for my own inspiration.
http://www.marvelbuilding.com/
Good luck everyone and i am looking forward to seeing new maps which have "soul" (thy Cyg ;) ) in it.

Greets
YppaH

Rezil
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Rezil » April 8th, 2012, 9:19 pm

Map quality reflects the maturity and willingness of the audience. I've written about it on this forum a few times, it didn't have much of an effect so I stopped trying.
Drofder2004: Drofder's rules for reviewing a map
[...]
#5 If your name is Rezil, minimum 5/5.
---
<LT>YosemiteSam[NL]:
I heard somewhere that the best way to start is juggling 2 balls with one hand, so you will get a feel for it.

Soviet
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Soviet » April 8th, 2012, 9:57 pm

"purest jumpers" is absurd. Jumping evolves over time; not that long ago we didn't even know about bouncing. The fact of the matter is fps switches offer another layer of complexity, difficulty, and open countless possibilities. The only valid argument against fps switches is the hardware requirements, and it's blatantly obvious that this has nothing to do with the normal arguments people are raising against the idea. If you want to make an argument for pure jumping, don't use the save mod or invincibility mod to do jump maps either. What happened to "it's not a glitch, it's a feature"?
ImageImageImage
"Zaitsev is a cunt." - Pedsdude

O/S/T-M/O/B
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by O/S/T-M/O/B » April 8th, 2012, 10:17 pm

no one sayed hard jumps are not good. i like hard jumps too but maps without theme hmm i dont like. ok only hard jumps in maps are boring i think a good mix from easy med and hard jumps is the best to have fun. and we wanna have fun or not (the new maps are like a job), but on flying platform maps i dont get soul sry bored after the first jump on so maps. sry bad english sayed all time i am to old to learn good english. boomheadshot :shock: <==

Xpayne
PC Team
PC Team

Post by Xpayne » April 8th, 2012, 10:36 pm

Totally agree! You can put your hard maps in ur ass and stick around the circle.

Those maps , where we need 3-2-3-1-2-3 etc....already bored or retared.Mostly new maps i cannot finish...
someone should make map as the older one , such as mp_lighthouse , prisonbreak etc....
I'll take care of checking whether the music is royalty-free or not

Let's save this post.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Soviet
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Soviet » April 8th, 2012, 10:40 pm

So the new maps are bad because you can't do them? That sounds more like lack of skill than objective perception.
ImageImageImage
"Zaitsev is a cunt." - Pedsdude

O/S/T-M/O/B
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by O/S/T-M/O/B » April 8th, 2012, 10:56 pm

hey guys that was not the sense from that topic sry. who is better who not who can this do who failed not everyone has time to play cod4 24/7. i was thinking about that topic to find some cool map THEMES but not only hard themes some easy one for mapping beginners like me. i think a cool easy style of mapping is the minecraft style. i get my map idea for mp_go_home from this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXxSz2fUMG0 easy to build it in cod4 compile tool and not much work. good for beginners so a easy style. BUT please guys give the map a style. 2 days for a theme is not much and the map is much much better.

x0ozero0x
PS3 Team
PS3 Team
PSN ID: x0ozero0x

Post by x0ozero0x » April 8th, 2012, 11:01 pm

Soviet wrote:So the new maps are bad because you can't do them?
Not necessarily, but with them being overly difficult it does get somewhat tiresome. There are still quite a few new players visiting the servers everyday and it's not really a good example of jumping for them when they are bombarded with the super difficult maps straight away; it's kind of a deterrent to them.
The main problem being discussed is the lack of creativity being shown in the maps that come out each week. A lot of the mappers now are just bodging together a bunch of bounces and publishing it which in turn just makes the whole experience rather dull since it's just a bunch of platforms and some slanted objects. I sometimes wonder if they actually test if the jumps are possible and are just placing objects and just expecting people to be able to figure out a way to do them.

Sonic
PC Team
PC Team

Post by Sonic » April 8th, 2012, 11:12 pm

x0ozero0x wrote: There are still quite a few new players visiting the servers everyday and it's not really a good example of jumping for them when they are bombarded with the super difficult maps straight away.
Not gonna add more, exactly my thoughts.

F |Madness| U
CJ G0D!
CJ G0D!

Post by F |Madness| U » April 8th, 2012, 11:23 pm

Personally I don't like the complicated fps switching jumps, purely because I prefer simplistic jumping. However I do totally agree with Soviet, it does offer another layer of complexity to jumping, and shouldn't be ignored as some people will enjoy it. I would ask that mappers create different paths on jump maps, not just different difficulties. Eg. the choice between either a hard 31231 bounce (or whatever it may be) or a `simple` bounce that requires a large strafe and an accurate bounce spot. Either of the options would lead the jumpers to the same place.

Also I would love to see more jump maps with exploration and perhaps storyline (similar to one of Rezil's recent maps I think?). One of my favourite things about jumping has been getting to new rooftops and balconies, on both stock maps and custom maps. And the freedom of being able to explore the new area around you. It would be great to have more of this incorporated into jump maps, where there is still a clear route to where you have to go to, but it's not as obvious as a pointing arrow or a obvious platform you need to get to. Differering fromt his slightly, could be a map with no real route as such but more objectives that you have to complete, and you have to simply find a way to get to the objective. In this case there could be multiple paths to the objective, differing from bouncing across roofsteps or strafing across lampposts. Sounds gay but the possibilities are endless and I would love to see mappers put in the effort (if you are reluctant to put in the effort imo you find mapping more of a chore than something you enjoy, in which case you probably shouldnt be mapping, although I understand loss of motivation and such).

Lol if you read this far, thats my input anyway.
-

RAGEQUiT
CJ Newbie
CJ Newbie

Post by RAGEQUiT » April 8th, 2012, 11:37 pm

O/S/T-M/O/B wrote: .... i think a cool easy style of mapping is the minecraft style. i get my map idea for mp_go_home from this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXxSz2fUMG0 easy to build it in cod4 compile tool and not much work ....
do not steal my idea ost :D
http://de.xfire.com/video/4b8b80/ , already got pickaxe, sword, rain, day- & nightcycle, chests & what not .
Believe me it´s hard to map in minecraft style :b

- r4d

[SoE]_Zaitsev
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by [SoE]_Zaitsev » April 8th, 2012, 11:44 pm

A combination of hard FPS switch bounces in a nice looking natural map is not impossible. I get the impression it is. I for one like FPS switches, but I dislike platform only maps.

Combine the 2 in a sweet natural looking map and you might create a map belonging to the best jump maps.
matt101harris wrote:big cock was the first thing that came to my head lol