"MultiMaps" Idea for a map.

Have questions about CoD4 mapping that aren't covered in the tutorials section? Post here!

Moderator: Core Staff

Copy-Cat
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

"MultiMaps" Idea for a map.

Post by Copy-Cat » February 7th, 2012, 12:17 am

Hopefully this is the right place for this kind of post.

I have had an idea for a new type of map for a while now and would like to get some feedback from you guys. I have talked to pedsdude and have since trashed the idea.

This map officially was going to be called mp_multimap_v1

The map was going to consist of about 8-10 maps already built by other mappers all combined into one. I have already gotten some positive and negative feedback in doing a test run of such a map. I believe this map would be a great addition to any cj server's map rotation, catering to all player levels of jumping from beginner to the most advanced of jumpers. One noob jumper could be playing mp_strafe_jumps or mp_bouncer_training and an advanced jumper could be playing mp_to_the_moon or mp_space on the same server, in the same game. There are numerous possiblities, one could be completing simple easy maps and teleporting to more difficult maps that would last for hours, and in my server's case minimizing the chances of a server crash during map rotation, and vote spamming, because noobs cannot do the first bounce on maps much less begin to finish the map.

The mp_multimap_v1 was going to include the following full maps.

mp_lawless_v2
mp_lawless_v3
mp_to_the_moon
mp_strafe_jumps
mp_peds_propel

and a few others I was undecided on. (10 maps total)

The Initial Plan.

My initial plan was to ask each of the mappers if they would like to contribute their .map file to this multi map. The .MAP file and it's entirety would be included in the multi map with no modifications on my end, other than adding the Origin_script for the portals. After talking to pedsdude and after a long period of contemplating my idea, I have since changed my mind on my approach to creating the map. The plan now has been to ask the mappers if I could port their map, and use it in the multi map, and accept anyone who wishes to contribute their .map in this multi map. That is where I left off after talking to pedsdude.

So far.

My scripting skills are weak so most of the scripted features in these maps was going to be omitted and somehow enhanced by filling them in with extra bounces and gaps as you will see in the video. Pedsdude was not too thrilled at me modifying his map, although 99% of the map was ported with a .5 unit accuracy. I can port any map, some may take longer than others, but in the case of mp_peds_propel it took 6 hours.

THIS MAP HAS NOT BEEN RELEASED TO THE PUBLIC DUE TO THE REPECT I HAVE TO MY FELLOW MAPPERS AND OTHER MAPPER'S WORK.

If your map is on the list above and don't wish to have your map included in this multi map, please let me know and I will stop, and remove all contents of your map. On the other hand if your map is on the list above and you want to give me your blessing, please let me know. If your map is not on the list above and/or you wish to contribute your .map file to this multi map please contact me via x-fire.

It may sound like I am going to continue without consent of the mappers, I assure you; I have no intentions in releasing to the public such a map under these conditions.

If anyone on the CodJumper team wants to test the test run of this map called "mp_amazing" kindly ask pedsdude for a copy, but by no means what so ever, and under any circumstances distribute this map, nor host it on a public server due to its unfinished and non concented state.

I was going to include a video here for you guys to see, but my computer is a POS.

I know there are alot of maps that were made by more then one person with the same theme in different "Rooms", but just remember who came up with the idea of combining different maps together. Còpy-Cát

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Re: "MultiMaps" Idea for a map.

Post by Drofder2004 » February 7th, 2012, 12:32 am

Concept is sound.

1. All parties/mappers must have given permission for use. Those who do not answer the request for permission should be taken as a "No" reply.

2. All parties/mappers should be given significant credit in the design (whether or not they provide the .map).

3. A lot of these maps contain very low quality mapping and as such will be terrible for FPS in sections, are you able to correctly 'detail brush' and portal this map? (I would suggest that you NOT use the original map file in its entirety for ths reason).

4. Will you be using all the same 'models' as in the original maps, as you may run into errors with the CJ Mod if too much is in use?
Virgin Media 20Mb Broadband:
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."
Borked internet since: 22-07-2010

Vartazian
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by Vartazian » February 7th, 2012, 12:39 am

hmm..

Vartazian
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by Vartazian » February 7th, 2012, 12:42 am

That is a crazy idea... and i'm not sure if i'm up to the idea of giving you my .map file when i have no idea who you are, or how you will treat it. Maybe when the project is further along, if other mappers have done this, then i may allow you to use mine. Not sure yet.

Sonic
PC Team
PC Team

Post by Sonic » February 7th, 2012, 12:55 am

I like the idea, but as Drofd said, pretty sure the FPS will be extremely low in some parts of the map.

Perhaps you should first check how this works out with like 4 maps or something, instead of 10.
You could always choose to add more maps later, if it works out well.

Copy-Cat
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by Copy-Cat » February 7th, 2012, 1:39 am

Sonic wrote:I like the idea, but as Drofd said, pretty sure the FPS will be extremely low in some parts of the map.

Perhaps you should first check how this works out with like 4 maps or something, instead of 10.
You could always choose to add more maps later, if it works out well.
With multiple skyboxes, the adjacent maps are completely invisible. I sent pedsdude a copy of the map thus far, if you want to test. I would love to see the results. I also sent him the .map file to view and test the accuracy of the porting.
Drofder2004 wrote:Concept is sound.

1. All parties/mappers must have given permission for use. Those who do not answer the request for permission should be taken as a "No" reply.

2. All parties/mappers should be given significant credit in the design (whether or not they provide the .map).

3. A lot of these maps contain very low quality mapping and as such will be terrible for FPS in sections, are you able to correctly 'detail brush' and portal this map? (I would suggest that you NOT use the original map file in its entirety for ths reason).

4. Will you be using all the same 'models' as in the original maps, as you may run into errors with the CJ Mod if too much is in use?
I agree 100%, remember that when I port the map, I have the brushes so they can be cleaned up and unseen textures can be assigned the caulk texture as they should be. Yes I am able to recreate all geometry and it seems to be airtight, as long as I don't manipulate the brushes anymore than I have to. I have sent the .map file to pedsdude, if you would like to take a look at it.

Copy-Cat
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by Copy-Cat » February 7th, 2012, 1:55 am

Vartazian wrote:That is a crazy idea... and i'm not sure if i'm up to the idea of giving you my .map file when i have no idea who you are, or how you will treat it. Maybe when the project is further along, if other mappers have done this, then i may allow you to use mine. Not sure yet.
I understand. I posted a very nice post about who I am and all of my details and contact information somewhere, I will have to look it up, but I know its in the forums somewhere. I am always available to talk on my community's TS 3.

Would you do me a favor? If I port a few bounces/rooms from your map, can you give me some input and confirmation on the accuracy of the port?

Rezil
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Rezil » February 7th, 2012, 3:09 am

I have had an idea for a new type of map for a while now and would like to get some feedback from you guys.
Not new, has been discussed a few times before.
The map was going to consist of about 8-10 maps already built by other mappers all combined into one.
No way are you going to correctly portal every part of this megamap to get the maximum possible FPS. Also, most of these maps are really poor in terms of mapping quality so porting would be a better option. And you have to take into account the engine brush limit, hopefully you don't reach it although there's still the matter of poor FPS performance.
My scripting skills are weak so most of the scripted features in these maps was going to be omitted and somehow enhanced by filling them in with extra bounces and gaps as you will see in the video. Pedsdude was not too thrilled at me modifying his map, although 99% of the map was ported with a .5 unit accuracy. I can port any map, some may take longer than others, but in the case of mp_peds_propel it took 6 hours.
So you're going to remake a map but leave out the scripting? The code is usually what makes the map unique! Get a coder to do that for you if you don't have enough experience. Or better yet, learn to do it yourself.
Nobody is going to be thrilled at you porting their maps because you're a relatively unknown presence in the CJ map community. Until you've proven yourself with a few projects of your own nobody is going to take you seriously or trust you with their source files.

This is destined to fail for a few reasons, mainly the issue of FPS, brush limit, xmodel limit, the fact that you're not really bringing anything new, you're just recycling work from other people. Ports are fine in their own right, but why not port a jump map from a different CoD game? Instead, you just mash a bunch of maps together, making them worse by removing the scripting, and calling it 'a fresh new idea'. I'm not impressed.
With multiple skyboxes, the adjacent maps are completely invisible. I sent pedsdude a copy of the map thus far, if you want to test. I would love to see the results. I also sent him the .map file to view and test the accuracy of the porting.
To me, this shows your relative inexperience when it comes to mapping. You can't have more than 1 skybox per map, you should know that. Exactly how you're going to combine different maps with different skyboxes without magic voodoo is a mystery to me. :)

Focus on your own maps first, then try to tackle what you've set out to do currently(with the added benefit that you don't have a lot of work in front of you if you combine your own maps).
Drofder2004: Drofder's rules for reviewing a map
[...]
#5 If your name is Rezil, minimum 5/5.
---
<LT>YosemiteSam[NL]:
I heard somewhere that the best way to start is juggling 2 balls with one hand, so you will get a feel for it.

megazor
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by megazor » February 7th, 2012, 7:39 am

better make a freerun map, like stock cod4 maps, but larger.

Goro92
CJ Spammer!
CJ Spammer!

Post by Goro92 » February 7th, 2012, 10:00 am

Rezil wrote: To me, this shows your relative inexperience when it comes to mapping. You can't have more than 1 skybox per map, you should know that. Exactly how you're going to combine different maps with different skyboxes without magic voodoo is a mystery to me. :)

Copy-Cat
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by Copy-Cat » February 7th, 2012, 3:11 pm

I am not bothered by your comments. if that was your intentions. I know what I am capable of.

You've made some good points, I will let you know how it turns out.
Rezil wrote:Not new, has been discussed a few times before.
I'm not only discussing it , I am half way done :D with 4 maps in.

I suggest you try the double skybox trick for yourself, you wont be disappointed. I will contact the firends that helped me test the map, and see what (if any) FPS drops were experienced. I have estimated that when all 10 maps are together in this multi map, the brush count would not even come close to the brush count of a medium size stock map.

Rezil - Your too quick to judge,

Rezil
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Rezil » February 7th, 2012, 3:27 pm

It wasn't my intention for you to be bothered by my comments. Look, at the end of the day you're the one who's going to be putting time and effort into your project. It was my suggestion that you could've spent it creating something new and fresh instead of rehashing maps that we've already seen and played. I guess if that's what you've decided to put effort into, I have no intention of stopping you.
I suggest you try the double skybox trick for yourself, you wont be disappointed. I will contact the firends that helped me test the map, and see what (if any) FPS drops were experienced. I have estimated that when all 10 maps are together in this multi map, the brush count would not even come close to the brush count of a medium size stock map.
How exactly do you perform this 'trick'? As far as I know, more than one (1) skybox per map is not allowed, at least if you're following proper mapping technique.
According to this, the engine limit stayed at 32,768. Let's say an average map has about 5000 brushes in it(any decent map should have at least double), if you plan on adding 10 maps together you'll definitely hit the brush limit. Either scale down in ammount of maps included or as said before, use magic voodoo.

I'm not too quick to judge, I'm simply presenting you with the facts. I hope I'm proven wrong and you actually succeed in finishing this as it's an interesting concept in its own right.
[...]
---
<LT>YosemiteSam[NL]:
I heard somewhere that the best way to start is juggling 2 balls with one hand, so you will get a feel for it.

Vartazian
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by Vartazian » February 7th, 2012, 5:02 pm

Rezil wrote:
Let's say an average map has about 5000 brushes in it(any decent map should have at least double)
LOL 5000. Mp_to_the_moon has about 1600 and that is considered a very large map. I doubt the average map has more than 2000 brushes max. He won't even come close to the limit unless he adds all of dantheman's or other extremely well made maps, which most of them are not nearly as well made. And @copycat, could you send me the map? i want to test the project and how it looks if i am to possibly allow you to have mine.

Copy-Cat
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by Copy-Cat » February 7th, 2012, 5:10 pm

Hopefully this will give you a visual on how things are coming along.

Last edited by Copy-Cat on February 7th, 2012, 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rezil
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Rezil » February 7th, 2012, 5:11 pm

LOL 5000. Mp_to_the_moon has about 1600 and that is considered a very large map.
Then I guess I overestimate the quality of cod4 maps. My bad.
[...]
---
<LT>YosemiteSam[NL]: