mp_svt_factory

Have a jump map that we don't have on our site? Let us know!

Moderator: Core Staff

Soviet
Core Staff
Core Staff

mp_svt_factory

Post by Soviet » May 3rd, 2010, 5:44 am

In the works on and off for about a year and a half, mp_svt_factory is a dedication to the idea that a jump map can look just as detailed and realistic as any other stock map. With hours of dedication put into each and every room, it is still nowhere even near finished. I promised myself I wouldn't post any media before the release, but at this rate I need motivation and I've announced the project to a number of people on the server.

The fundamental philosophy of the gameplay of mp_svt_factory is that nothing is off limits. If I've mapped it, I want you to get to it. I may not have put in a way to get there, but I know someone will eventually find a way. What does this mean? Yes, there will be shortcuts. I want there to be shortcuts. In having played a large amount of time on the server recently, I've found something very noticeable. Only the beginners play the actual map, the rest try insanely difficult shortcuts, essentially glitching the map. It makes sense, that's what we are, glitchers. As such, I believe a jump map should cater to these jumpers.

The other main idea of this jump map is to embody everything that other jump maps have done right. Whether it be the ridiculous bounces of mp_ib_glass, the insurmountable difficulty of mp_spacestation, or the infamous final jump of mp_skipper, my goal is to provide an exciting experience to the best of the best while still giving the beginners a chance to jump without becoming overly frustrated. To follow this idea is my first media release, much less content than anyone could possibly want, but hey, my idea is to be a giant tease. I've started a detailed analysis of the most influential jumps out there, modifying them based on common server consensus to create the optimal jumps. That's not to say there will be any shortage of original jumps, though, as I've worked long and hard to come up with some truly unique jump types.

ImageImage

I plan to, after finishing the next few rooms, release the first public beta. From that point I plan to expand, fix, and implement a number of secrets. This could take anywhere from a few weeks to months, depending on how hectic my schedule is. I'm wrapping up my last year of high school and preparing to go to college, so I'm not sure what my free time will look like.

It's my goal to update this regularly, my next topic of discussion will be how I started designing each individual jump to cater to a server full of people.
ImageImageImage
"Zaitsev is a cunt." - Pedsdude

Mooselflies
CJ Spammer!
CJ Spammer!
PSN ID: mooselflies

Re: mp_svt_factory

Post by Mooselflies » May 3rd, 2010, 11:04 am

it looks like you've put a lot of time and dedication into making your map.. hearing that makes me want to enjoy playing your map gl on making it

Infinite
PC Team
PC Team

Post by Infinite » May 3rd, 2010, 12:56 pm

Soviet wrote:long and hard
That's what she said :lol:.

Ironically, you talked about finishing High School, and I'm at high school atm, so I can't see the screenshots. From that long paragraph, I am excited to see such a map come out, and will be waiting :P.
"The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together."
"A still more glorious dawn awaits- not a sun rise, but a galaxy rise. A morning filled with four hundred billion suns: the rising of The Milky Way." - Carl Sagan

[15:19] _MattyTÒ£eFarmer_: infinate
[15:19] _MattyTÒ£eFarmer_: u r smarter than me

Rezil
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Rezil » May 3rd, 2010, 1:15 pm

Good luck with the project, you have a HUGE ammount of work ahead of you. The thing with jumping is, it's essencially a hidden feature of the map, it's not SUPPOSED to happen and it's not what the developers meant for you to do. It's the same thing in Half-Life 2 and throwing cans and bottles into peoples faces: it's fun because the game is trying to portray you as this epic hero and you go against that. Now in a stock map you have the same principal: you are in a set path/traversable area and you defy that by jumping 'out-of-map'. It doesn't become fun anymore when the purpose is for you to get out of map, the fun lies in glitching the map itself.
Furthermore, the stock maps were made by a number of people and you're just 1 person - now I'm not saying it can't be done because it did happen before, but it's immensly more difficult and timeconsuming having to map, script, add effects, plan the design, exterminate bugs etc. all by yourself.
The fundamental philosophy of the gameplay of mp_svt_factory is that nothing is off limits.
Be VERY careful with that. I know jump maps tend to strive for a sandbox-type experience, but I find that a well crafted linear path that takes you from point A to point B can be much more enjoyable to play than an open area with no established start and finish. If a map is more polished, has more detailed geometry and innovates with scripting than another map, then IMO that map is better, even if it is linear.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck with your project and hope you finish it.
Drofder2004: Drofder's rules for reviewing a map
[...]
#5 If your name is Rezil, minimum 5/5.
---
<LT>YosemiteSam[NL]:
I heard somewhere that the best way to start is juggling 2 balls with one hand, so you will get a feel for it.

Pedsdude
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pedsdude » May 3rd, 2010, 2:42 pm

Having played a beta a long time ago, I eagerly await the next beta :)

Soviet
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Soviet » May 3rd, 2010, 3:35 pm

Rez|l wrote:Good luck with the project, you have a HUGE ammount of work ahead of you. The thing with jumping is, it's essencially a hidden feature of the map, it's not SUPPOSED to happen and it's not what the developers meant for you to do. It's the same thing in Half-Life 2 and throwing cans and bottles into peoples faces: it's fun because the game is trying to portray you as this epic hero and you go against that. Now in a stock map you have the same principal: you are in a set path/traversable area and you defy that by jumping 'out-of-map'. It doesn't become fun anymore when the purpose is for you to get out of map, the fun lies in glitching the map itself.
Furthermore, the stock maps were made by a number of people and you're just 1 person - now I'm not saying it can't be done because it did happen before, but it's immensly more difficult and timeconsuming having to map, script, add effects, plan the design, exterminate bugs etc. all by yourself.
The fundamental philosophy of the gameplay of mp_svt_factory is that nothing is off limits.
Be VERY careful with that. I know jump maps tend to strive for a sandbox-type experience, but I find that a well crafted linear path that takes you from point A to point B can be much more enjoyable to play than an open area with no established start and finish. If a map is more polished, has more detailed geometry and innovates with scripting than another map, then IMO that map is better, even if it is linear.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck with your project and hope you finish it.
The map itself is linear, I'm not completely crazy. There is a set path I've created through the course of the map. However, there are also a number of roofs, ledges, random rooms, and eventually there will be secrets that are scattered around the main jumps in seemingly impossible places. That's not to say that it's just a completely open map. Ive spent careful time and effort clipping the map to make sure people can only glitch it to the extent that I specify. I want people to get there, but that doesn't mean I'm going to help them. Essentially, I want to see somebody pull off a 333-250-125-250 load-mantle bounce into a freeze stack.

When I say nothing is off limits, I mean nothing that I've detailed completely is off limits.
ImageImageImage

freak720
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by freak720 » May 3rd, 2010, 4:52 pm

KillerSam wrote:Buy a ruler. That is all.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: veeery motivating post :P i'm really looking forward to play this map! dont give up :)

Soviet
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Soviet » May 4th, 2010, 1:40 am

Keeping it moving along, here's some actual concept art I did a while back. This will really help you get a feel for what my map is going to look and feel like. Also, don't give me shit about a ruler again, it's more fun to draw without one :P

ImageImageImage

Hoogie
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Hoogie » May 4th, 2010, 1:46 am

It will be a big challenge to make the map look as realistic as the stock maps and having a path in it. If the path is to obvious then you take the realistic theme away, but you don't want people get to confused of where to go either.

But it sounds great and can't wait for the beta version ;)
-=[[CoDJumper.com Movies]]=-
[[Ambush]] || [[Backlot]] || [[Bloc]] || [[Bog]] || [[Broadcast]] || [[Chinatown]] || [[Countdown]]
[[Crash]] || [[Creek]] || [[Crossfire]] || [[District]] || [[Downpour]] || [[Killhouse]] || [[Overgrown]]
[[Pipeline]] || [[Shipment & Wetwork]] || [[Showdown]] || [[Strike]] || [[Vacant]]

A woman can fake an orgasm, but a man can fake an entire relationship

Soviet
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Soviet » May 4th, 2010, 1:56 am

That's another aspect of game design that will be my next topic after I talk about making my jumps for servers of people. This project is a huge learning experience with me, and I want to pass any knowledge I can off to other map makers so that jump maps can continue to become better and better.
ImageImageImage

Soviet
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Soviet » May 4th, 2010, 3:21 am

*facepalm*

I just realized I put the same picture twice. Second picture changed.
ImageImageImage

Pedsdude
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pedsdude » May 4th, 2010, 3:22 am

Soviet wrote:*facepalm*

I just realized I put the same picture twice. Second picture changed.
That just had me confused for a good 2 mins, working out why they were both 4-1 :P

matt101harris
PC Team
PC Team

Post by matt101harris » May 4th, 2010, 11:40 am

lol i cant wait :D sov u got a beta i could possible try? As i see loads of people doing "walktrhoughs" i could do a realy detailed 1 of this map when it is properly realised lol. (like avidemo and all that shit) as a well worked map deserved a well worked video :D. Looking foaward to it :D. I definatly prefur the maps that are l ike random, a bit like climbing as it offers literaly everything and everything lol. So this should be amazing! :).
PeЧĐuĐe@CoDJumper.com: put your cock away, you sick man
Matty@CoDJumper.com: hahaha
PeЧĐuĐe@CoDJumper.com: (while i whip mine out)
Matty@CoDJumper.com: lol
PeЧĐuĐe@CoDJumper.com: just kidding
PeЧĐuĐe@CoDJumper.com: ... i don't have one :(

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » May 4th, 2010, 12:08 pm

Let me know if you need any help.

Concept art looks good, but I seriously would not have put that amount of detail, the detail will come as you map and think of ideas.

And seriously, when doing those little sums in boxes, being neat is actually proven to help you concentrate on it better. Thats why I only buy 5mm square paper, good for diagrams and writing neat.

(Pavlov was totally drawn to scale on a sheet of A4 paper, sadly due to a fucking cleaning frenzied woman I call "mum" decided while I was at school to "tidy" up my desk and fucking binned all of my work >.<)
Virgin Media 20Mb Broadband:
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."
Borked internet since: 22-07-2010

Rezil
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Rezil » May 4th, 2010, 12:32 pm

I'm waiting for Radiant screenshots, Soviet!
Drofder2004: Drofder's rules for reviewing a map
[...]
#5 If your name is Rezil, minimum 5/5.
---
<LT>YosemiteSam[NL]:
I heard somewhere that the best way to start is juggling 2 balls with one hand, so you will get a feel for it.