[cod4] mp_portal WIP

Have a jump map that we don't have on our site? Let us know!

Moderator: Core Staff

Rezil
Core Staff
Core Staff

Re: [cod4] mp_portal WIP

Post by Rezil » February 24th, 2010, 5:23 pm

In the grey blocks mode(lightmap mode), select the two brushes and middle-click on either of the faces(depends on which lightmap grid you want). That will fix the lighting so it looks the same on both sides of the brush.
Drofder2004: Drofder's rules for reviewing a map
[...]
#5 If your name is Rezil, minimum 5/5.
---
<LT>YosemiteSam[NL]:
I heard somewhere that the best way to start is juggling 2 balls with one hand, so you will get a feel for it.

CX gamer
CJ Fan
CJ Fan

Post by CX gamer » February 24th, 2010, 6:10 pm

There must be something elementary I'm forgetting o.O
This is how my screen looks after I selected all brushes that need to be the same colour (maximum whiteness), I middle click, but noting seems to happen... I also tried that ctrl + I, but nothing changed... :?
After I did this, I saved, compiled and played, same problem... :?

EDIT: May it be because I don't have a grid yet?!...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Soviet wrote:Technically all servers on MW2 are dedicated servers because they're all dedicated to sucking :wink:

CX gamer
CJ Fan
CJ Fan

Post by CX gamer » February 24th, 2010, 11:49 pm

Forget about lighting, today a lot got gone. :)
I finished the frag jump room, I placed glass windows so that it wouldn't hit the player below.
Also I did some experimenting with sloped ladders and mantles, I found that if a ladder is sloped like a bounce, when you start climbing, you'll keep climbing automaticly, I'll use this in the end for a nice credits scroll 8)
Sloped mantles didn't have anything interesting to say...

Also I only drank one liter of water, because mom just cleaned the dishes when I was getting my water, so it was still warm and I had to wait a long while for it to cool...

Code: Select all

Total rooms: 7
Day: 5
Water: 14.5 liters
Food: 2 family packs, 1 pizza mozzarella, fries with hamburger, cereals from my little brother, a bag of twix
Life: none
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Soviet wrote:Technically all servers on MW2 are dedicated servers because they're all dedicated to sucking :wink:

[SoE]_Zaitsev
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by [SoE]_Zaitsev » February 25th, 2010, 1:23 am

Start eating healthy dude.
matt101harris wrote:big cock was the first thing that came to my head lol

waywaaaard
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by waywaaaard » February 25th, 2010, 10:50 am

CX gamer wrote: I found that if a ladder is sloped like a bounce, when you start climbing, you'll keep climbing automaticly, I'll use this in the end for a nice credits scroll.

Well make a ladder rotate it about 5 degrees to the back. Now use 250 or 333fps look straight forward while climbing and you will accelerate really fast. Used a few times in cod2 maps.
THAT HANDS WERE NOT TRACED!
visit my blog: Link
Soviet wrote:Yeah, watch out, Peds will hit you with his +5 D-Battleaxe of homosexuality :roll:

CX gamer
CJ Fan
CJ Fan

Post by CX gamer » February 25th, 2010, 5:24 pm

[SoE]_Zaitsev wrote:Start eating healthy dude.
The cooking of my mum isn't included, but that's healthy... Don't worry, I won't die to leave a half-made map... :P
Lev!athan wrote:
CX gamer wrote: I found that if a ladder is sloped like a bounce, when you start climbing, you'll keep climbing automaticly, I'll use this in the end for a nice credits scroll.

Well make a ladder rotate it about 5 degrees to the back. Now use 250 or 333fps look straight forward while climbing and you will accelerate really fast. Used a few times in cod2 maps.
Yes that's also what I noticed, but I just stopped pressing forward from when I hot the ladder, tested it on 125 fps...

CX gamer
CJ Fan
CJ Fan

Post by CX gamer » February 25th, 2010, 11:55 pm

Okay, the previous RPG room was a 'level up' room, this is where the harder rooms will start.
This is the point where 'noobs' will have trouble with, so their jumping will slow down. Therefore I'll make the next rooms bigger, so players don't get in the way of each other, and so they'll be less likely not to be alone in the room that they'll be in for a short while.
There is a strafe, yes that's right, a strafe, not a strafe jump. :)
The original idea for this room wasn't good enough for my demands, so there isn't much new. Progress is slow, but I like to test my room to 100% before making it very graphical.
Also, dad brought apple juice from the store, so that's replacing water for the while... :)
And I'm stopping recording the things I ate, since it's pointless because it can't make a nice graph any way... :P

Day: 6
Apple juice: 1.5 liters
If you even have anything that remotely resembles an opinion, I'd be happy to hear it... :)

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » February 26th, 2010, 12:30 am

It needs Drofder mapping approval also, feel free to send your map file when you're finished :P

btw: looking good.
Virgin Media 20Mb Broadband:
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."
Borked internet since: 22-07-2010

waywaaaard
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by waywaaaard » February 26th, 2010, 12:58 am

KillerSam wrote:It looks good but will need good testing for shortcuts e.t.c imo. Keep going 8)
clip FTW. Doesn't matter if the clip brush is 5000 units heigh just do it! We're WaW mappers we can bring it on.
THAT HANDS WERE NOT TRACED!
visit my blog: Link
Soviet wrote:Yeah, watch out, Peds will hit you with his +5 D-Battleaxe of homosexuality :roll:

CX gamer
CJ Fan
CJ Fan

Post by CX gamer » February 26th, 2010, 4:38 pm

KillerSam wrote:It looks good but will need good testing for shortcuts e.t.c imo. Keep going 8)
Yes that's one of the things I'm extensively testing. I'm not the best strafer, so a beta version will be released to let the pro's have a go at them before it's finally released... :)
And indeed, in the picture you've seen, there is a very hard RPG strafe shortcut, but I hadn't fixed it yet when I posted it... :)
Drofder2004 wrote:It needs Drofder mapping approval also, feel free to send your map file when you're finished :P

btw: looking good.
Thanks... :)
Lev!athan wrote:
clip FTW. Doesn't matter if the clip brush is 5000 units heigh just do it! We're WaW mappers we can bring it on.
I'm trying to avoid clips, I'm using glass walls for the most part.

Another thing that came into my mind; This game is a portal port, there will be a super secret little room after the player uses an elevator to get 'out of bounds'. The one who can guess correctly first what that room will be, gets the access code to the normally secret room, with buttons to make fun stuff happen. Or that's my idea... :)

Thank you for the replies, and looking forward to the next ones... :)

CX gamer
CJ Fan
CJ Fan

Post by CX gamer » February 27th, 2010, 12:26 am

Haha, that would be a bit obvious, wouldn't it? ;)
No, the thing we're searching is unique for 'portal prelude'... :P

Update time now :)

Much work was done today, had another original graphical idea; the pipe you see in the screen shot. However, the room isn't finished yet. The platforms are still floating >.<
But most of the graphical theme is done. Inside the pipe you bounce into, you can see the slide room down below. I think it'd be nice to see something moving, again to aid social interaction in online play. :)
I didn't drink much apple juice today, since the bottle was empty, and I cba to get another.
Didn't count this room yet, it's over 60% done, but there is still much work to do.

Day: 7
Apple juice: 3 liters
EDIT: Yes, no lighting yet. :(

CX gamer
CJ Fan
CJ Fan

Post by CX gamer » February 27th, 2010, 12:51 am

Haha, not quite. The thing I want to add somewhere in my map, is something that could be reached by going out of bounds in portal prelude. :)

Hoogie
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Hoogie » February 27th, 2010, 6:37 pm

Looking good :D
-=[[CoDJumper.com Movies]]=-
[[Ambush]] || [[Backlot]] || [[Bloc]] || [[Bog]] || [[Broadcast]] || [[Chinatown]] || [[Countdown]]
[[Crash]] || [[Creek]] || [[Crossfire]] || [[District]] || [[Downpour]] || [[Killhouse]] || [[Overgrown]]
[[Pipeline]] || [[Shipment & Wetwork]] || [[Showdown]] || [[Strike]] || [[Vacant]]

A woman can fake an orgasm, but a man can fake an entire relationship

R4d0xZz
CJ Fan
CJ Fan

Post by R4d0xZz » February 27th, 2010, 7:40 pm

ahh i know !

a little outside area?
in portal is a "glitch" where you can go outside...

you can see trees and a street there ^^
Image|Image
Image|Image
Image|Image

[SoE]_Zaitsev
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by [SoE]_Zaitsev » February 27th, 2010, 7:45 pm

Like jump outside of the map ? :P
matt101harris wrote:big cock was the first thing that came to my head lol