[cod4] mp_portal WIP

Have a jump map that we don't have on our site? Let us know!

Moderator: Core Staff

CX gamer
CJ Fan
CJ Fan

[cod4] mp_portal WIP

Post by CX gamer » February 21st, 2010, 11:20 pm

Can I has WIP thread?

I'm making a map, and I'll need help for it, so instead of making separate topics for each little thing I ask, I thought I'd make one thread for it. I hope that's fine. :)

The idea for my map comes from portal, where the player is presented a series of rooms, each containing one challenge, at the end the player escapes the facility and wanders behind the scenes of the building, eventually facing a boss.
So my CoD4 port is going to test your strafing, bouncing, around-wall-jumping, sliding, crouch jumping, ...

Updates will come in the form of new posts, so double posts may occur...
Please tell me if you have suggestions to make them better. :)

Log of the first day;

Code: Select all

Total rooms: 3
Day: 1
Water: 5 liters
Food: 0.5 family packs chips, pizza mozzarella
Life: none
EDIT: @pedsdude: I'm in ur mapz, stealing ur themez

I'll put some early screen shots in the attachments;
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by CX gamer on February 21st, 2010, 11:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Soviet wrote:Technically all servers on MW2 are dedicated servers because they're all dedicated to sucking :wink:

CX gamer
CJ Fan
CJ Fan

Re: [cod4] mp_portal WIP

Post by CX gamer » February 21st, 2010, 11:27 pm

Posted some more screen shots...
Note that the bounce ALWAYS works when you land on it, I don't like it when you have to try a lot of times... I worked hard on that one. :)
However you'll see that the texture on the side of the high platform is inconsistent with the other walls at that same height. I'm still thinking about what the most elegant fix would be... Suggestions?

I'll add a log of my progress so we can have a nice graph in the end;

Total rooms: 5
Day: 2
Water: 9.5 liters
Chips: 2 family packs, 1 pizza mozzarella, fries with hamburger
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by CX gamer on February 21st, 2010, 11:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Soviet wrote:Technically all servers on MW2 are dedicated servers because they're all dedicated to sucking :wink:

CX gamer
CJ Fan
CJ Fan

Post by CX gamer » February 21st, 2010, 11:38 pm

Whoa thank you... :oops:
I'm going to sleep now. Jump you later ;)

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » February 21st, 2010, 11:57 pm

In future:
Please quickly resize your images to a more forum friendly size (800 width?)

Map:
Looking good, but can you please at least plumb in that toilet? :P
Virgin Media 20Mb Broadband:
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."
Borked internet since: 22-07-2010

_DanTheMan_
PC Team
PC Team

Post by _DanTheMan_ » February 22nd, 2010, 1:36 am

Crap! Someone's making a map with the same theme as me :P

Pnin
CJ Fan
CJ Fan

Post by Pnin » February 22nd, 2010, 11:00 am

Hm nice map. there is no kinda floating platforms and stuff like that, It's kinda a lil bit more realistic. I'd like to play it but I hope It's not too hard map, because I doubt in my cod4 skills.

What about drinks? lol :D

[SoE]_Zaitsev
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by [SoE]_Zaitsev » February 22nd, 2010, 12:17 pm

Looks good. Nice idea with the daily update too :P
matt101harris wrote:big cock was the first thing that came to my head lol

Pedsdude
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pedsdude » February 22nd, 2010, 4:07 pm

Looks nice, but make sure you line up the warning stripe textures correctly!

waywaaaard
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by waywaaaard » February 22nd, 2010, 4:33 pm

Hmm it seems those warning strips are very popular on cod4 jump maps. Though tbh I can't really see something of the map.
THAT HANDS WERE NOT TRACED!
visit my blog: Link
Soviet wrote:Yeah, watch out, Peds will hit you with his +5 D-Battleaxe of homosexuality :roll:

CX gamer
CJ Fan
CJ Fan

Post by CX gamer » February 22nd, 2010, 6:02 pm

Drofder2004 wrote:In future:
Please quickly resize your images to a more forum friendly size (800 width?)
Yes sorry about that, thought that PHPbb 2.0 would make a thumbnail automatic, but that's a PHPbb 3.0 feature... :oops:
I'll upload the images in a special folder for them next time and give you guys a link to it... :)
Drofder2004 wrote:Map:
Looking good, but can you please at least plumb in that toilet? :P
Thank you for that idea, it certainly adds a touch... :)
_DanTheMan_ wrote:Crap! Someone's making a map with the same theme as me :P
:shock: :shock: :shock:!... I'm honoured by your response. :D
I love your maps! But I keep failing your bounces XD
I spent ages trying to figure out the code for mp_spacestation, or trying to play pong in mp_trial. But I must admit, your maps are too hard for me, they're too hard for me >.< I'll need more practice. :) One day, I'll complete trial, one day...

Um, I'm sorry for stealing your theme. I thought I was stealing mp_peds_propel, or are you talking about mp_trial2?
I don't have a problem with having the same theme, it are different maps after all... :)
But if you insist, I'll edit my theme, it's still early in development anyway...
Pnin wrote:Hm nice map. there is no kinda floating platforms and stuff like that, It's kinda a lil bit more realistic. I'd like to play it but I hope It's not too hard map, because I doubt in my cod4 skills.

What about drinks? lol :D
Water... A lot of water... :P
Pedsdude wrote:Looks nice, but make sure you line up the warning stripe textures correctly!
Good point, I've noticed it too, but I have no idea currently on how to do that. My tutorial is very basic on textures...
Lev!athan wrote:Hmm it seems those warning strips are very popular on cod4 jump maps. Though tbh I can't really see something of the map.
What you see, is all of the map... ;)
It's still early, I know...

Pedsdude
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pedsdude » February 22nd, 2010, 7:27 pm

CX gamer wrote:
Pedsdude wrote:Looks nice, but make sure you line up the warning stripe textures correctly!
Good point, I've noticed it too, but I have no idea currently on how to do that. My tutorial is very basic on textures...
Select the face, press 'S' and then use the horizontal/vertical shifts to move them along and line up.

CX gamer
CJ Fan
CJ Fan

Post by CX gamer » February 22nd, 2010, 8:29 pm

Pedsdude wrote:
CX gamer wrote:
Select the face, press 'S' and then use the horizontal/vertical shifts to move them along and line up.
Thanks, that works :)
Most of my day was wasted because I needed to write a full-size report about a book I didn't read.

I'm fixing those now, and I started the next room, which is a slide. I haven't seen a single-side slide in any map yet, so I though I'd have a primer. :)
But note that in mp_lost_world, slides are doable in the final 'room'. But I don't think the mapper intended it. :)

EDIT: There is a small complication with the corner, I've tried rotating it, but the edge of the black looks too stretched (normally by the square root of 2 times).
However, when you're down below, you won't see the problem, and when you're up the platform you won't see it either. It's only a problem in the short time you're climbing though. I find it acceptable.

EDIT2: It went faster then I thought, I may be able to finish the slide room. :)

_DanTheMan_
PC Team
PC Team

Post by _DanTheMan_ » February 22nd, 2010, 10:06 pm

CX gamer wrote: Um, I'm sorry for stealing your theme. I thought I was stealing mp_peds_propel, or are you talking about mp_trial2?
I don't have a problem with having the same theme, it are different maps after all... :)
No, I mean I have also been making a map called mp_portal :P
No problem in having 2 of the same map styles I guess, I'll rename my map's name though

CX gamer
CJ Fan
CJ Fan

Post by CX gamer » February 22nd, 2010, 10:20 pm

Oh okay thank you... :)
I noticed the portal cubes in your sig >.<

EDIT: I can slide jump 536 units or horizontal length... :shock:
But I'm sure that's not the maximum you can reach... :)

CX gamer
CJ Fan
CJ Fan

Post by CX gamer » February 22nd, 2010, 11:44 pm

End of day 3;
  • Fixed border textures
  • Small tweaks
  • The plumber is now IN the toiler
  • Experimented with slide jumps, I'm able to cross HUGE distances. I placed the panel there to guide you toward the jump, since it's not obvious at first sight.

Total rooms: 5
Day: 3
Water: 11.5 liters
Chips: 2 family packs, 1 pizza mozzarella, fries with hamburger, cereals from my little brother
Here is the concept screen of the slide, don't mind the open gaps, of course they'll be filled up... :)
8.jpg