Project: Mirrors Edge

Have a jump map that we don't have on our site? Let us know!

Moderator: Core Staff

BatterY
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Project: Mirrors Edge

Post by BatterY » February 11th, 2010, 4:57 pm

Title says it all.
So im designing a map based on mirrors edge parkour-like theme.

So it should have:
- Red objects to tell directions
- Outside & inside parts
- Based on jumping at really high heights, from roof to roof
- All this on a city-like map, eventually gaining height and approaching the finish - the highest skyscraper in map

I'm making this one for CoD1.
Map will become a bit boring with only jumps.. so i would like someone to help / do scripting for the map.

If anyone want to join this project, feel free to comment.

Starting mapping... NOW

Project Team
Pedsdude - Testing

Progress SS':

I knew some bugs would appear :roll: first of all the floor isn't solid xD second, i need to fix some jumps that were TOO easy. But so far, i've done pretty good beginning in only about 2 hours. Well, founding bugs just makes the map better :)
Last edited by BatterY on February 11th, 2010, 9:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Pedsdude
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Project: Mirrors Edge

Post by Pedsdude » February 11th, 2010, 5:36 pm

It's a shame (personally!) you're doing this for CoD1. I've been interested in making a Mirrors' Edge style map, but I don't think it will be achievable without A LOT of work to get it to look anything like the game.

Good luck, though, and if you need a beta tester then I'm available (although I haven't jumped in CoD1 for quite some time).

WorldDomoNation
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by WorldDomoNation » February 11th, 2010, 9:23 pm

That's funny you mention that, I was thinking about making a Mirror's Edge map for CS:S!

If you should need any design help or ideas, I would be happy to help. I haven't tried my hand at CoD1 mapping, but i can surely help decide how things should look, designing, creating the basic structure, and all around brainstorming.

I'll also gladly test the beta version(s) 8)

EDIT: I somehow missed those pictures (I have no idea how?!), but it appears you've already started the map.
that's a nice pic and all, but out of all the pictures you could have taken why'd you take a picture of a plant? :P
-Soviet
Because plants have some really small details. If a plant comes out nice in a photo, you have yourself a good camera ;)
-Drofder 2004
Yes, but if boobs come out really well in a photo you have a picture of boobs :wink:
-Soviet
Discussing Marshall's new camera lol^

Quit Humping And Start Jumping!

Innkeeper
CJ Spammer!
CJ Spammer!

Post by Innkeeper » February 11th, 2010, 10:58 pm

I think mirrors edge feel could best be got from cod4 because of bouncing, and how freeing/big those jumps can be.

Rezil
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Rezil » February 12th, 2010, 12:10 am

Keep in mind that a game like Mirror's Edge has over 100 people working on it which makes it easier to create big enviroments. Also, I'm sure every jump mapper has had an idea like that(myself included).
In my case I just realised that the entire project was just way to big(you have to map A LOT - pay attention to unplayable areas in Mirror's Edge and you'll see why making a realistic jumping enviroment is hard to pull off).

Second, Mirror's Edge has specific gameplay mechanics like wallrunning and wallclimbing whereas cod only has strafe jumping and nade jumping. I'm not saying this to discourage you, I just believe you're way over your head on this one. Perhaps make some small but very detailed maps before moving on to huge mapping projects? In my experience making a map look realistic and jumpable/fun at the same time is very hard to pull off and in most cases, you will achieve either a very good looking map or a fun jump map. Or neither.

Anyway, good luck with the project, I hope you finish it and prove me wrong. :)
Drofder2004: Drofder's rules for reviewing a map
[...]
#5 If your name is Rezil, minimum 5/5.
---
<LT>YosemiteSam[NL]:
I heard somewhere that the best way to start is juggling 2 balls with one hand, so you will get a feel for it.

WorldDomoNation
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by WorldDomoNation » February 12th, 2010, 2:31 am

I think I'm going to really work on a Mirror's Edge map for CS:S. It seems like it has a lot of elements that would fit perfectly with the theme.

Bhop
Surfing
Long Jump
etc.

If you have any experience with CS:S mapping and would like to help, let me know :D

I'm not that advanced of a CS:S mapper, so help would be appreciated. I'm sure I'll be working on this one for a while.
that's a nice pic and all, but out of all the pictures you could have taken why'd you take a picture of a plant? :P
-Soviet
Because plants have some really small details. If a plant comes out nice in a photo, you have yourself a good camera ;)
-Drofder 2004
Yes, but if boobs come out really well in a photo you have a picture of boobs :wink:
-Soviet
Discussing Marshall's new camera lol^

Quit Humping And Start Jumping!

Soviet
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Soviet » February 12th, 2010, 3:01 am

WorldDomoNation wrote:I think I'm going to really work on a Mirror's Edge map for CS:S. It seems like it has a lot of elements that would fit perfectly with the theme.

Bhop
Surfing
Long Jump
etc.

If you have any experience with CS:S mapping and would like to help, let me know :D

I'm not that advanced of a CS:S mapper, so help would be appreciated. I'm sure I'll be working on this one for a while.
Might want to check this out

http://forums.blackmesasource.com/showthread.php?t=2727
ImageImageImage
"Zaitsev is a cunt." - Pedsdude

BatterY
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by BatterY » February 12th, 2010, 3:06 pm

Yeah, I confess that the map has advanced a bit to the wrong side, also, i got this idea from innkeepers sig :lol:
Ill Re-Texture it and try to keep in mind what this map is based on.
And what comes to the huge size of map, this will be short. total about 15 or less buildings.

Rukariox
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by Rukariox » February 12th, 2010, 11:49 pm

If you wan't i can help you with testing.
btw is going to be the difficulty of the map?

BatterY
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by BatterY » February 13th, 2010, 10:42 am

Okayy... this morning i tested the map and had no problems at all :) jumps were easy/medium/hard
so i would call this one a Medium difficulty map. Well..., gotta get back to mapping.
its not done by itself! ALSO i would happy if someone would re-install his/her(you never know) radiant,
because im deciding to make it BIGGER. Volunteers will be listed in the main post and recieve the .map-file.
IF YOU HAVE ANY MODERN TEXTURES, POST THEM. They would be a BIG help.