Advanced Strafe Jump Tutorial

News will be posted here by the CoDJumper team

Moderator: Core Staff

Infinite
PC Team
PC Team

Re: Advanced Strafe Jump Tutorial

Post by Infinite » February 11th, 2010, 1:24 pm

KoBron83 wrote:So when exactly do you have to switch weapons while you are performing the strafe? Do you switch from main gun to pistol or vice versa?
I believe you press the button to switch right before you strafe, and as you are switching, you strafe jump.
"The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together."
"A still more glorious dawn awaits- not a sun rise, but a galaxy rise. A morning filled with four hundred billion suns: the rising of The Milky Way." - Carl Sagan

[15:19] _MattyTÒ£eFarmer_: infinate
[15:19] _MattyTÒ£eFarmer_: u r smarter than me

Pedsdude
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pedsdude » February 11th, 2010, 2:28 pm

KoBron83 wrote:So when exactly do you have to switch weapons while you are performing the strafe? Do you switch from main gun to pistol or vice versa?
http://codjumper.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11078

[SoE]_Zaitsev
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by [SoE]_Zaitsev » February 11th, 2010, 4:57 pm

Drofder2004 wrote:Honestly, I would need to see the results in action, so will let you finish testing.
As I have no control or insight into exactly how it is being tested, I really cannot comment on how fair the test honestly is.

My concern is (if I recall ancient testing correctly) that if you run a script checking your current weapon, there is no stage at which you are holding no weapon. The engine always records a weapon in possession (unless they are removed), when you are cooking a nade, you still hold a weapon, while changing, you still hold a weapon. The change in weapon is purely an animation, and animations are in no part connected to speed or movement.

Let us know when testing is concluded or if some other theory is devised because at the moment, there is nothing really to look at, I still haven't even seen an example of how this change of weapon is even considered to be used.
Cool post, really informative.

Helps us noobs understanding it a bit better :D
matt101harris wrote:big cock was the first thing that came to my head lol

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » February 11th, 2010, 11:13 pm

Infinite wrote: There might be a slight misunderstanding here. By "script" we mean a .cfg file which is executed by using "exec x.cfg" ingame and it normally uses the "seta" command ingame while you can bind a button to "vstr" the different lines.

For example:

Code: Select all

seta strafe1 "cl_yawspeed 100;+sprint;+forward;wait 15;+moveleft;+left;wait 30;cl_yawspeed 300;wait 35;+gostand;-gostand;vstr strafe2"
seta strafe2 "wait 20;cl_yawspeed 50;-left;wait 150;-forward;-sprint;-moveleft;cl_yawspeed 140"
bind x "vstr strafe1"
We aren't talking about something in a mod which would check different elements of the game.
I know the difference, when I mention script, I refer to ingame console and when I refer to mod, I am talking of a mod.
And if that is even remotely close to the script (in terms of writing) then my problem is the use of "wait". Wait commands are very, very inaccurate in consoles.
Virgin Media 20Mb Broadband:
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."
Borked internet since: 22-07-2010

Infinite
PC Team
PC Team

Post by Infinite » February 11th, 2010, 11:41 pm

Drofder2004 wrote:
Infinite wrote: There might be a slight misunderstanding here. By "script" we mean a .cfg file which is executed by using "exec x.cfg" ingame and it normally uses the "seta" command ingame while you can bind a button to "vstr" the different lines.

For example:

Code: Select all

seta strafe1 "cl_yawspeed 100;+sprint;+forward;wait 15;+moveleft;+left;wait 30;cl_yawspeed 300;wait 35;+gostand;-gostand;vstr strafe2"
seta strafe2 "wait 20;cl_yawspeed 50;-left;wait 150;-forward;-sprint;-moveleft;cl_yawspeed 140"
bind x "vstr strafe1"
We aren't talking about something in a mod which would check different elements of the game.
I know the difference, when I mention script, I refer to ingame console and when I refer to mod, I am talking of a mod.
And if that is even remotely close to the script (in terms of writing) then my problem is the use of "wait". Wait commands are very, very inaccurate in consoles.
wait commands are based off of fps, and if you constantly have 125 fps, it shouldn't be that inaccurate.
"The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together."
"A still more glorious dawn awaits- not a sun rise, but a galaxy rise. A morning filled with four hundred billion suns: the rising of The Milky Way." - Carl Sagan

Infinite
PC Team
PC Team

Post by Infinite » February 11th, 2010, 11:50 pm

KillerSam wrote:
Infinite wrote: wait commands are based off of fps, and if you constantly have 125 fps, it shouldn't be that inaccurate.
I thought it was servers fps / rate?
that's for mods, not scripts, irrc.

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » February 11th, 2010, 11:58 pm

Infinite wrote:wait commands are based off of fps, and if you constantly have 125 fps, it shouldn't be that inaccurate.
Like I said though, without the real script using both gunswitch and non gunswitch, it would be silly for me to comment on the accuracy of the code, but we are changing a variable that is controlled by a variable with no control.

We can limit our fps, but our fps may change, the smallest amount of movement can affect the fps. If we are using variables that rely on a factor that we cannot fully control we have potentially bad results.

To me, I would just like a good jumper to jump on a gap range and give their opinion on it. Nobody seems ready to simply give it a go, yet we are making these large scripted experiments that will eventually end up with us using our own hands to test it.

If I was any good at jumping, I would test it myself.
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."

Lancast
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by Lancast » February 13th, 2010, 10:57 pm

I did test it a bit on codjumper_training on 310 and further ranges. I didn't use any scripts but just 125fps and my skill, I kept switching from rpg to m9 but it really doesn't seem to be different, I don't seem to get any speed boost, I seem to jump at exactly same distance with exactly same speed. But if it gives you just a little speed boost, I won't be able to notice it, so some kinda of scripter is needed.

Lancast
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by Lancast » February 14th, 2010, 4:13 am

Was talking with the 'scripter' guy earlier and despite what infinite said he said, he said:

Infinite
PC Team
PC Team

Post by Infinite » February 14th, 2010, 4:43 am

Lancast wrote:Was talking with the 'scripter' guy earlier and despite what infinite said he said, he said:
I posted what we both thought at first. I never said that it worked or didn't work, but I did say that it appeared to work from a small experiment he did. I don't remember him telling me that it didn't work, but when he showed me the chatlog, I found out why xD.

"[18:38] _DanTheMan_: i changed the ground and trigger so the ground is 19 units below with a 1 unit trigger above it, and from using this new environment, i conclude that there is no change at all with weapon changes and strafing simultaneously"

That's exactly what he said and he said it randomly to me, so I probably just ignored it ><.

Anyways, the best increase we had was 3 units, which is a 1% increase. That's basically nothing, especially when jumping in a regular server to do regular jumps.

KoBron83
CJ Newbie
CJ Newbie

Post by KoBron83 » February 14th, 2010, 5:20 am

Damn man now I gotta tell those people that it actually doesn't work lol. I've heard that knifing after you jump makes you go a bit further. I've also heard that crouching right at the end of your jump will give you a better chance to make it since it brings your legs up. Is any of that true?

Infinite
PC Team
PC Team

Post by Infinite » February 14th, 2010, 5:36 am

KoBron83 wrote:Damn man now I gotta tell those people that it actually doesn't work lol. I've heard that knifing after you jump makes you go a bit further. I've also heard that crouching right at the end of your jump will give you a better chance to make it since it brings your legs up. Is any of that true?
Don't think any of that is true.

Soviet
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Soviet » February 14th, 2010, 10:01 am

The crouching definitely isn't. CoD is designed so that when you crouch the rest of your body moves down, not vice versa like Source based games.
ImageImageImage
"Zaitsev is a cunt." - Pedsdude

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » February 14th, 2010, 2:11 pm

Finally, 17 days after the start of this thread we have come to the conclusion:
100% is the highest percentage of speed that can be achieved. >.>

I hope you enjoyed the testing but I think simple logic solved this one a long time ago :P

Infinite
PC Team
PC Team

Post by Infinite » February 14th, 2010, 3:45 pm

Drofder2004 wrote:Finally, 17 days after the start of this thread we have come to the conclusion:
100% is the highest percentage of speed that can be achieved. >.>

I hope you enjoyed the testing but I think simple logic solved this one a long time ago :P
Exactly.