Dungeon Keeper

Discussion for other PC and console games

Moderator: Core Staff

[SoE]_Zaitsev
Core Staff
Core Staff

Dungeon Keeper

Post by [SoE]_Zaitsev » January 13th, 2010, 5:01 pm

Recently installed this game again. Some classics never get old.

Anyone who played it before ?

I've always wished that some day another Dungeon Keeper would come for the PC but I don't think Bullfrog exists anymore.

Watch this intro movie btw, lol:

matt101harris wrote:big cock was the first thing that came to my head lol

Azabael
CJ G0D!
CJ G0D!

Re: Dungeon Keeper

Post by Azabael » January 13th, 2010, 5:38 pm

Never heard of the game before. But after watching that intro, it still isn't entirely clear what the game is about.
Could you explain it?

[SoE]_Zaitsev
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by [SoE]_Zaitsev » January 13th, 2010, 7:53 pm

It's a really unique game. During all those years I haven't really come across another game just like this.

You basicly make your base underground. Imps dig out through dirt so that once the earth has been digged you can build your areas on it like your lair where your monsters regain health, a chicken room where your monsters can eat once they hungry. There are also rooms like a Treasury room, a Training room so that your monsters can level to 10 max, a Library to learn new areas and spells, a Workshop to learn traps and doors.

There's also more rooms you can build like a Prison or a Torture Chamber, later on you get a Mausoleum. You can use those rooms to get monsters like skeletons, ghosts and vampires.

To keep your gold coming you need to dig out gold veins and let the Imps carry them back to your Storage room since every now and then the monsters need to be payed by gold and training for example costs gold too.

The role of the game is to set up your base and simply put beat the other enemy (Imps can capture enemy rooms). You beat the other enemy by beating the Land Lord (The Knight in the movie) or by destroying the other team's Dungeon Heart.

You can attract loads of creatures like various insects, demons, goblins, lizards, wizards, mistresses etcetc. You can also capture enemies and let them either starve to death (Skeletons), torture them to death (Ghosts) or torture them long enough and they might join you. Or you carry the corpses to your Mausoleum and they might become Vampires.

Certain monsters also don't like eachother so they fight eachother, you need to watch for that (Spider vs Fly or Mistress vs Demon).

Just download it since I think it's almost impossible to get this game nowadays (1996 or so iirc). I've finished the SP countless of times over the years. Doesn't get old quickly. This game is really nicely made. Missions get really harder over-time and you can also find some secret missions now and then with a unique playstyle.

Azabael
CJ G0D!
CJ G0D!

Post by Azabael » January 13th, 2010, 8:23 pm

Okay, thanks for the explanation. Perhaps someday when I'm bored I'll give it a try!

aicaramba
Past/Inactive Team Member

Post by aicaramba » January 22nd, 2010, 11:37 pm

There is a game which (from ive heard) is a blend between this and settlers. Apparantly its one of the best strategy games there is.
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/
I dont play it, but hearing from the ppl who do.. The games gameplay makes up waaaay good for lack of graphics and difficulty to start. The game is made purely for gameplay and completely ignores the graphics side of games.
Thought i'd mention it, dunno if anyone here is interested in games with graphics shitty as this.
P.S.V. Kampioen!

[SoE]_Zaitsev
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by [SoE]_Zaitsev » January 23rd, 2010, 1:09 am

The best strategy game out there is Starcraft :roll:

Anyway, that doesn't look interesting at all. Here's DK2 movie, sadly the last one in its series. Many fans are hoping that EA makes a part 3.

This intro is great.

Bad quality but meh.

Soviet
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Soviet » January 23rd, 2010, 1:13 am

[SoE]_Zaitsev wrote:The best strategy game out there is Starcraft :roll:
/agree

I've never heard of this, I might have to check it out.
ImageImageImage
"Zaitsev is a cunt." - Pedsdude

aicaramba

Post by aicaramba » January 23rd, 2010, 2:06 pm

[SoE]_Zaitsev wrote:
Anyway, that doesn't look interesting at all. Here's DK2 movie, sadly the last one in its series. Many fans are hoping that EA makes a part 3.
It doesnt look interesting at all.. I agree. Yet there are a lot of people playing the game and they all pretty much say its the best strategy game they played.. As I said, the game was made for gameplay, not for graphics.
P.S.V. Kampioen!

[SoE]_Zaitsev
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by [SoE]_Zaitsev » January 23rd, 2010, 4:10 pm

Fair point. But it does need to look interesting, as if to pull you in, and when I look at some of those screenshots it simply doesn't pull me in.

aicaramba

Post by aicaramba » January 23rd, 2010, 6:20 pm

Ye, i know what u mean.. Same reason im not playing it :P
P.S.V. Kampioen!