Moderator: Core Staff

red_gee
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Call of Duty 3

Post by red_gee » December 10th, 2006, 12:27 am

So I have had Call of Duty 3 for a couple days more than a month now
I haven't seen much talk about it on here since the preview thread
I've been playing it pretty steadily lately, at first it was a trade off between Call of Duty 3 and Gears of War
And Call of duty 3 flat out lost in the beginning, Well some things have changed.

Gears of War is a great game, to an extent. The single player/co-op is outstanding, and I cannot remember a time where I had more fun playing co-operatively in any other video game. The multiplayer is good as well, but it somewhat falls short. A lack of modes, and the fact that it is elimination game play with no respawns hurts it quite a bit. So I have curbed my urge to chainsaw, shot gun gib and nade tag for some more traditional Call of Duty gaming.

So what is Call of Duty 3? Well for anybody who hasn't tried it. It is Call of Duty UO2. I think that sums it up.
The core Call of Duty game play is there, with the added enhancement of sprinting, match specific rankings and more balanced classes.
Any gamer that wanted this game on the PC should be glad that they didn't get it. That's not to say it isn't a good game, but it has a lot of the components Call of Duty 2 should have gotten.
In all reality, like UO was, I think CoD3 should have been an expansion. Unfortunately they changed the graphical engine some what to utilize some texture shading, and lighting effects which I think detract from the overall look of the game, I liked how CoD2 looked, even beside tis game.
The only other main selling feature is that you can play up to 24 players online. Not a tremendous feat as far as PC shooting goes, but for console games without real servers it is a nice addition of players.
I like playing the game online, even with it's problems; I think it is clear that it was rushed. The characters have a strange white glow for no particular reason. Chevrons (indicating your team mates and their rank) regularly disappear, and considering team damage is on by default and there is now a punish system in effect, the results can be deadly.
Gun models don't seem as solid as before, they look like they just came out of the box, I like the weathered feel myself. Aiming got revamped, no ADS when your feat are not firmly planted on the ground, ADS is significantly slower that CoD2. ADS is a new learning curve in my opinion, but it still works well and I like it.
There was also the addition of vehicles, which are cool, but another rushed feature. Now there is tank jumping, you exit a tank to get yourself into a vantage point. You can also set other vehicles in certain positions to put yourself out of the maps borders.

Now I see this kind of has a negative tone, that wasn't what I was going for, sorry. Call of Duty 3 on the xbox 360 has the potential to be a good game (We will wait and see what a patch brings), on the PC it would have been a major disappointment, if it was released as a standalone product, as an expansion, with a bit more QA it would have been a great product.

So for anybody on the fence I hope this helps, but most of all, if you are the least bit curious, rent it, and decide from there, but do not go into this game expecting greatness, from MP or SP

steveuk
CJ G0D!
CJ G0D!

Post by steveuk » December 10th, 2006, 12:53 am

Not a bad Review.!!!

Ive seen the trailer and man it did look wicked, but many people say COD3 is made up as it is made to be as shown on the Trailers.

Gameplay can be unsterdy at times. Weapons are not as good( like they come of of the box- which you stated) Glows on the players.
I do like the features it shows Tank & Jeep driving, better fire power graphics are ment to be good, but can sometime be blocky.?

Maps meet to be better, i dont know i only seen 1 and i think tha was st-lo.???

I would like to see it on PC format, as either an expansion pack or as a new game.
If the creator does make it avalible to PCformat they should sort out any bugs and graphics issues first and price it at a resonable prce.

I Would like to see some Demo videos & Screen Shots of COD3 here on CodJumper soon of Jumps & Nade Jumps even battle vids.

QUESTION: Can ya run servers from the Xbox like ya can do on a PC COD2 .?

Here is a link for loads of COD3 VIDEOs i just found. http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=2650

Better still for CODJUMPER to start a NEW section of COD3

SteveUK. 8)

red_gee
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by red_gee » December 10th, 2006, 5:00 am

To answer your question about servers
Call of Duty 3 runs like a typical Xbox Live game, where one player is the host, and that player plays as well. However, unlike Call of Duty 2 for the Xbox 360, if the host quits, a different player becomes host, most of the time.
One silly thing is it had auto team balance, that doesn't seem to work, if you select auto assign it just randomly puts you on any team

As for CoDJumper starting a section, I think that doesn't need to happen, most of the "jumps" are glitch based, or require little to no skill. Also, you cannot record a demo (.dm_1) you would have to make an actual video

aicaramba
Past/Inactive Team Member

Post by aicaramba » December 10th, 2006, 11:52 am

Tbh.. All the features UO had (exept for vehicles) were the things that were missing in cod2..
P.S.V. Kampioen!

teebag
CJ Spammer!
CJ Spammer!

Post by teebag » December 10th, 2006, 12:16 pm

CoD3 is "new" version of UO.
That's why my brother's computer doesn't need anti-virus software; 450MHz P3 doesn't meet virus's system requirements.

All-Killer
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by All-Killer » December 10th, 2006, 12:41 pm

im waiting for the new cod for the pc. Im hoping that we can still jump in maps and using nade jumps. That typical cod because in other games youre blowing youreself to death ore nothing happends

Ownia

Post by Ownia » December 10th, 2006, 5:02 pm

I have been getting better feedback on GoW at work than on CoD 3

Btw. my post count remind you brits sumthin? :)

Inferiority of the voice inside made me turn my back on...

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » December 10th, 2006, 6:12 pm

Ownia wrote:I have been getting better feedback on GoW at work than on CoD 3

Btw. my post count remind you brits sumthin? :)
The battle of Hastings?

GoW multiplayer is great imo, strategic yet very fast. CoD3 multiplayer is good but lacks a lot, and imo the guns have been overdone.
The recoil of the MP40 is as much as the MP44, yet the MP40 is no where near as strong as the MP44.
The lack of other teams in MP is a pain in the arse, all of those countries and weapons in SP, and America v Germany in the MP :/
If you bash someone with a MG (the heavy support type) they dont die, you require 2 hits...
The sniper is pretty hard to control using an analog while still trying to fight the "natural swaying motion".

Still, not a bad game though, many good points to counter the bad.
Virgin Media 20Mb Broadband:
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."
Borked internet since: 22-07-2010

[SoE]_Zaitsev
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by [SoE]_Zaitsev » December 10th, 2006, 6:23 pm

The thing is, it's console. Consoles suck FPS wise. I'm glad that they didn't put CoD3 to the pc or it would be just like CoD2. I have to be honest but CoD2 gets more fun the more you play, I didn't liked it in the beginning nor do I liked CoD1 in teh beginning when I switched from MoH to CoD.

Anyway, you won't see any CoD3 movies on the website as far as I know

:roll:
matt101harris wrote:big cock was the first thing that came to my head lol