Suggestions...

Please give us your feedback and suggestions. Spotted an error on our site? Let us know how we can improve here!

Moderator: Core Staff

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Suggestions...

Post by Drofder2004 » October 23rd, 2005, 7:59 pm

Suggestions to improve site and etc.

#1.
When CJ team upload demos and post announcements of the demos, they should provide a link in the announcement. For example...

3 New Dawnville Demos:
link
link
link

(2 reasons for this. 1, if someone uploads more than 6 demos a time, they do not become available on the main site, meaning the people who want to watch the demo, must go looking for it. and 2.. stops the need for going backwards and forwards from main site to forum)

#2.
Change of the "phpbb faq" to a CJ FAQ. The FAQ is found above the frum (just below the banner).
If you go in that FAQ, you get loads of questions, yet I dont see 1 about how to search, or anything about people having to search.

#3.
CJ Team Active 'lights'. What I mean by this is some form of single page that will tell us who is accepting demos or not. Every new demo comes with the same question... who do I send to? followed by "check who is accepting demos on the CJ main site". Now, when I first sent in my demos, I had to search several links (roughly 10-15) just to find someone to send demos to. A simple active/inactive light system (red and green) would prove useful for first time users.

#4.
The index page (main page). This is probably already on Peds list, but if it isnt then here it is. When the CoD2 maps get added to the left hand side of the page just above all the cod maps, the pae is going to be stretched downwards. I think a tweak in the page is needed. I'm not sure how much hassle tis would be but, its only a suggestion. Anyways, this would be how I would lay it out..

Remove the 3 sections from the left (cod2/cod/uo demos) and replace them with the CJ team section. This would balance out both sides (tested it in word :P)

Thats all. Ofcourse, this is only a suggestion of how imo the site could be improved for the arrival of CoD2.

Also, another thing... People should not be allowed to start looking for jumps in the cod2 maps until the official release of the UK retail :P

--------
Edit...
More, but this time sorta towards the demo creator (but also CJ team)

Following rules...
http://pedsdesign.com/codjumper/rules.php
These rules are mainly for the records but should still be followed.
Rules---
1. Cheats, these only matter in the records.
2. Talking, this one should be scrapped, bad rule imo.
3. Advertisement, this is a must tbh, advertising is cheap, nobody is going to visit the sites in the demo :?
4. Record too long, common sense tbh.
5. Screenshot. I personally believe the CJ team should make the screenshot. We make the demos, you make the screenshot, plus there are programs out there that will automatically create the screenshot and add the CJ text to it. If need be, I will post a link.

Sending in demos...
Make the demo names appropriate to save time for the CJ Team. Example, I just watched a caretan demo with this filename "to_murphy_from_russian_player.dm_2". Now if I downloaded that, and kept hold of it, how would I know what is is? A bit of common sense in the name cant be 2 hard (<map>_<type>_<number>_<name>... e.g "carentan_nade_01_drofder.dm_2")

;)
Virgin Media 20Mb Broadband:
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."
Borked internet since: 22-07-2010

Neon
Too cool for CoDJumper
Too cool for CoDJumper

Post by Neon » October 23rd, 2005, 9:47 pm

all nice ideas, i actually bothered to read the whole post lol.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards...Checkmate."
"Seriously... .45k/sec it is a joke.. I could have just gone out and taken my own photos of children in this time."
"You have just become my fave youtuber!" - KillerSam in regards to myself. Win.

MuRpHy*
Past/Inactive Team Member
Past/Inactive Team Member

Post by MuRpHy* » October 24th, 2005, 3:37 am

lol me 2, very nice thoughts .

<LT>YosemiteSam[NL]
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by <LT>YosemiteSam[NL] » October 24th, 2005, 12:22 pm

Good thoughts. Agree with the most of em.

But I agree with that talking rule tbh. I watched alot of demo's which I put on the site and It realy gets annoying when someone is talking more then jumping. The rule is too hard though, just keep the talking to a minimal.

Pedsdude
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pedsdude » October 25th, 2005, 1:29 pm

Nice ideas Drofder, will try to implement them in due course.

#3 and #4 I've already thought about (will get round to doing #3 some time in the near future).

I wasn't really able to think of a good enough solution for #4. I would prefer to leave the demos on the left as that's where they have always been and people are used to them being there (it would feel weird trying to change). What I reckon I will do is move the links, maps, servers and site design over to the right, to try and balance it out. If it is not perfectly balanced out it doesn't really matter that much - after all, it hasn't been balanced for aaaaaages.

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » October 26th, 2005, 3:17 am

Thanks Peds, just thought a few things needed a tweak, glad you like the ideas (even more glad I wasnt the only 1 who thought it needed a tweak :P).
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."

Pedsdude
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pedsdude » October 26th, 2005, 10:23 am

;) Will add them when I get time m8

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » October 26th, 2005, 1:22 pm

Pedsdude wrote:;) Will add them when I get time m8
Obviusly ;) - I would never expect immediate action on so much change... :)

Pedsdude
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pedsdude » October 27th, 2005, 2:44 pm

Indeed, especially seeing that I'm getting paid by someone for a website I have almost finished ;)

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » October 27th, 2005, 9:29 pm

Pedsdude wrote:Indeed, especially seeing that I'm getting paid by someone for a website I have almost finished ;)
May we see? :P

Pedsdude
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pedsdude » November 10th, 2005, 6:36 pm

http://www.firedragonstudios.co.uk (£15) - they haven't added the new site yet, still have the old one
http://www.codvisions.co.uk (£15) - one person in the clan paid me £15 for the site, and someone else didn't like it, so they're getting another one done lol, but I still got paid :D

Anyway, about the suggestions...

#1 - Up to whoever adds demos
#2 - Will do soon!
#3 - Done!
#4 - Done!
#5 - Hmm, contoversial ;) We already have a program which adds text to the pic and resizes anyway.
#6 - Up to whoever adds demos, I try to encourage them to name them as the same name as the demo (i.e. Carentan14.dm_2 or whatever)

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » November 10th, 2005, 7:19 pm

Pedsdude wrote:www.firedragonstudios.co.uk (£15) - they haven't added the new site yet, still have the old one
http://www.codvisions.co.uk (£15) - one person in the clan paid me £15 for the site, and someone else didn't like it, so they're getting another one done lol, but I still got paid :D

Anyway, about the suggestions...

#1 - Up to whoever adds demos
#2 - Will do soon!
#3 - Done!
#4 - Done!
#5 - Hmm, contoversial ;) We already have a program which adds text to the pic and resizes anyway.
#6 - Up to whoever adds demos, I try to encourage them to name them as the same name as the demo (i.e. Carentan14.dm_2 or whatever)
#1 = more work, but not exactly hard work :P
#2 = Nice :)
#3/4 = WP :D
#5 = I suppose, but if you got to watch the demo surely it isnt hard to make a screenshot also, but obviously easier if they send them in... (Simple work around, anyone who doesnt send screenshot will have atheir demo delayed from being uploaded :P)
#6 = This was aimed at the demo makers not the CJ team. The CJ team shouldn't have to work out what the demo is, they should have a good idea to it by the demo name)

Pedsdude
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pedsdude » November 10th, 2005, 7:32 pm

Oh right, I thought you were talking about codjumper team actually uploading the file (although same rules still apply :P).

I will do #2 when I have finished downloading all 885 demo files and screenshots off the site :D