Chat area specifically for CoDJumper

Moderator: Core Staff

Hardcore
CJ Fan
CJ Fan

About the copyright...

Post by Hardcore » June 3rd, 2013, 11:57 pm

Hey mates

I wanna know where you are with the copyright issues on youtube. I'm one of those who still want to upload videos on your channel but I prefer put copyrighted song on my videos...
I heard it takes 3 months for a warning to leave.
So do you plane to review this rule?
. Image

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Re: About the copyright...

Post by Drofder2004 » June 4th, 2013, 2:58 am

To remove an infringement the Youtuber must:
- Wait 6 months.
- Attend "Copyright School".

If we receive 2 complaints within 6 months, the account could become closed. This is not a risk we are willing to take - especially since there are plenty of royalty free tracks on offer.

So, no. There will be no review of this situation.
Virgin Media 20Mb Broadband:
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."
Borked internet since: 22-07-2010

ultralala
CJ G0D!
CJ G0D!
Steam: ultralala

Post by ultralala » June 4th, 2013, 8:35 am

And the most important

cant watch it in germany with copyrighted music :S
I've been watching you
A lalalala long
A lalalala long long lee long long long

Hardcore
CJ Fan
CJ Fan

Post by Hardcore » June 4th, 2013, 2:54 pm

Drofder2004 wrote:To remove an infringement the Youtuber must:
- Wait 6 months.
- Attend "Copyright School".

If we receive 2 complaints within 6 months, the account could become closed. This is not a risk we are willing to take - especially since there are plenty of royalty free tracks on offer.

So, no. There will be no review of this situation.
Okey

So we'll talk again about it when your warning will be lost right? No matter the time it takes? :)
. Image

fre4kZ
CJ Fan
CJ Fan

Post by fre4kZ » June 4th, 2013, 4:38 pm

I believe that you (CoDJumper team) may think (correct me if i'm wrong, no offense) if you don't get a youtube copyright notice on the video, that means the video is copyright free, or atleast there is no harm in using it (with posting credits). I got a copyright strike on a video, where i posted credits, didn't get any copyright notice and the video was under 30 seconds (Which means it's in the timerange of the copyright act called "Fair Use").
You should consider using some mainstream copyrighted music, because if youtube recognizes the song and gives a copyright notice of 3rd party usage (then the video will show ads, which will earn money for the music company), that means the music company of the music don't bother with illegal usage, they just let other people use, so they get even more money. There are some exceptations, like "The Unguided" (i got a copyright strike from them, like you did aswell), who are cocky about youtube illegal usage and i believe they got a special guy for these youtube cases. The thing is that you can't be sure about the artist's behaviour, but most of the popular bands don't give a shit about these cases and they just let the distributor to make the actions on their own (which is the ad thing i told before), making it safe for others to use.

Summarising these sentences, i can just say that It's not copyright notice or blocked countries, what makes a song dangerous to use (dangerous as getting a copyright strike + vid delete + 6 months full of limitations), it's about how sensitive the artist or the distrubor is with the illegal usage.

A good way to check if it's dangerous (if you don't get a copyright notice, but you are still unsure about uploading the video) is that you just type the title of the music in youtube search bar and check if there are other people, who have the music uploaded. If there are many random guys with low number of subscribers for example, you can know that there is no action taken against illegal usage.

Hardcore
CJ Fan
CJ Fan

Post by Hardcore » June 4th, 2013, 6:26 pm

Sounds great but there is also something else :

I never had any strike on youtube about copyright but one of my video have no more sound due to the copyright... And it is an old video. It got erased not a long time ago. It proves that no matter what song you used, it seems possible that any time you can have a strike about it, even if your video is 2 years old.
. Image

x0ozero0x
PS3 Team
PS3 Team
PSN ID: x0ozero0x

Post by x0ozero0x » June 4th, 2013, 6:30 pm

I'm pretty sure most people here are aware of the copyright laws related to YouTube videos and how the ads work.
fre4kZ wrote:The thing is that you can't be sure about the artist's behaviour
Exactly, this is why they are still not going to run the risks of uploading content with copyrighted music. I think the CJ channel is to archive and provide a platform in which people from the community can upload their content. If the channel was closed because of this it would be a shame.
fre4kZ wrote:A good way to check if it's dangerous (if you don't get a copyright notice, but you are still unsure about uploading the video) is that you just type the title of the music in youtube search bar and check if there are other people, who have the music uploaded. If there are many random guys with low number of subscribers for example, you can know that there is no action taken against illegal usage.
Not always the case it would appear. The song you mentioned has been used before on previous videos; such as the original video that CoDJumper tried to upload created by Scott and a popular CSS movie. I think the time in which these videos were uploaded has a role in this as well, where copyright on YouTube was more lenient.

fre4kZ
CJ Fan
CJ Fan

Post by fre4kZ » June 4th, 2013, 6:53 pm

x0ozero0x wrote:I'm pretty sure most people here are aware of the copyright laws related to YouTube videos and how the ads work.
fre4kZ wrote:The thing is that you can't be sure about the artist's behaviour
Exactly, this is why they are still not going to run the risks of uploading content with copyrighted music. I think the CJ channel is to archive and provide a platform in which people from the community can upload their content. If the channel was closed because of this it would be a shame.
fre4kZ wrote:A good way to check if it's dangerous (if you don't get a copyright notice, but you are still unsure about uploading the video) is that you just type the title of the music in youtube search bar and check if there are other people, who have the music uploaded. If there are many random guys with low number of subscribers for example, you can know that there is no action taken against illegal usage.
Not always the case it would appear. The song you mentioned has been used before on previous videos; such as the original video that CoDJumper tried to upload created by Scott and a popular CSS movie. I think the time in which these videos were uploaded has a role in this as well, where copyright on YouTube was more lenient.
The guy, clayman90 aka "rechhhy" is in a partnership with them. They let him use their songs, because he has many subscribers and it's a massive advertisment for them. Hmm the upload time thing you mentioned, that may be true, i have to read about it to check.

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » June 4th, 2013, 8:56 pm

fre4kZ wrote:I believe that you (CoDJumper team) may think (correct me if i'm wrong, no offense) if you don't get a youtube copyright notice on the video, that means the video is copyright free, or atleast there is no harm in using it (with posting credits). I got a copyright strike on a video, where i posted credits, didn't get any copyright notice and the video was under 30 seconds (Which means it's in the timerange of the copyright act called "Fair Use").
You should consider using some mainstream copyrighted music, because if youtube recognizes the song and gives a copyright notice of 3rd party usage (then the video will show ads, which will earn money for the music company), that means the music company of the music don't bother with illegal usage, they just let other people use, so they get even more money. There are some exceptations, like "The Unguided" (i got a copyright strike from them, like you did aswell), who are cocky about youtube illegal usage and i believe they got a special guy for these youtube cases. The thing is that you can't be sure about the artist's behaviour, but most of the popular bands don't give a shit about these cases and they just let the distributor to make the actions on their own (which is the ad thing i told before), making it safe for others to use.

Summarising these sentences, i can just say that It's not copyright notice or blocked countries, what makes a song dangerous to use (dangerous as getting a copyright strike + vid delete + 6 months full of limitations), it's about how sensitive the artist or the distrubor is with the illegal usage.

A good way to check if it's dangerous (if you don't get a copyright notice, but you are still unsure about uploading the video) is that you just type the title of the music in youtube search bar and check if there are other people, who have the music uploaded. If there are many random guys with low number of subscribers for example, you can know that there is no action taken against illegal usage.
1. Fair use is not as simple as "less than 30 seconds". It is based on what you have taken, why you have taken it, how much you have taken and to what negative value it has on its intended market. - The last one is the key, any artist can argue that even 30 seconds of their music could be costly to their revenue - and Youtube have no option but to accept that as true. You would need to take it to a US court to be considered.

2. If you use a copyrighted music in your video, artists can choose to place adverts for revenue - but they could also just remove your video. It is their control - not yours.

3. Finding a copyrighted song being used in a video is not a method I would say is a good way to avoid notices. These notices can be placed on any and all existing content - no matter the age. Using copyright-free music is the only way to avoid notice.
Virgin Media 20Mb Broadband:
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."
Borked internet since: 22-07-2010

Pedsdude
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pedsdude » June 5th, 2013, 10:39 pm

Drofder summed up the fact / my thoughts on the matter pretty nicely.

At the end of the day, it's the copyright owner's decision, and it's simply not something we want to take a risk on, given the important of our channel.