General chat area for anything whatsoever

Moderator: Core Staff

cianw1
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper
Gamertag: cianw1

My new site

Post by cianw1 » July 6th, 2012, 10:56 pm

Hi i set up a blog type review site with a forum yesterday and i was wondering could you all take a look and give me any constructive criticism and any advice. Its lacking content at the moment but i hopefully want to get alot of reviews etc on there witht he help of a few of my friends.

Me: Well, i think the ONLY way to resolve this problem is...KS reseign from site admin and me to take his place, and then commence my plan for world domination...
KS : Done.

Rezil
Core Staff
Core Staff

Re: My new site

Post by Rezil » July 6th, 2012, 11:02 pm

It's lacking a link too. :)
Drofder2004: Drofder's rules for reviewing a map
[...]
#5 If your name is Rezil, minimum 5/5.
---
<LT>YosemiteSam[NL]:
I heard somewhere that the best way to start is juggling 2 balls with one hand, so you will get a feel for it.

cianw1
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by cianw1 » July 7th, 2012, 12:26 am

hahahah forgot about that sorry here it is: http://cianevans.co.uk/ xD

Me: Well, i think the ONLY way to resolve this problem is...KS reseign from site admin and me to take his place, and then commence my plan for world domination...

[SoE]_Zaitsev
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by [SoE]_Zaitsev » July 7th, 2012, 11:22 am

I noticed a spelling error.

This is the correct way btw:

miscellaneous

:D

Gotta admit though, that word is pretty hard.
matt101harris wrote:big cock was the first thing that came to my head lol

rB|Liam*
CJ Fan
CJ Fan

Post by rB|Liam* » July 7th, 2012, 12:01 pm

It has bloons tower defence. Legend.

Pedsdude
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pedsdude » July 7th, 2012, 2:36 pm

In the dropdown menus, I would try and get rid of the blank space between each link (i.e. when you move down vertically, there's a gap between each one where you're not selecting the one above or below.)

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » July 7th, 2012, 3:38 pm

- The left and right arrows need to be anchored to the 'video' section. When viewing on a widescreen monitor the arrows are far from the content. (Easiest way would probably be to put them inside the div and push them out using CSS - not sure how your JS would like this)

- When the rectangle lights change or clicked (when video changes) the video image loads before the button does. They need to be either instant or the content needs a fade in to counter it. Your JS needs a little tweak (maybe function order) to make the animation/transition smoother.

- The middle content (image) is not centered within its DIV (and the page). (#homeSlideshow img {margin: 0 auto;})
[or use wider images]

- There is a empty '<h3>' tag on the Calender. Either use it or remove it (bringing the calender in line with the other content)

- Store height 4000px O_o

- The nav has some really weird CSS, with a combination of % and px widths, causing sub-menus to be displayed with over 100% width.
I did the following:
#mainNav ul ul li {margin: 0 !important;}
#mainNav ul ul li a {padding: 0 0 10px 10px;}
Virgin Media 20Mb Broadband:
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."
Borked internet since: 22-07-2010

cianw1
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by cianw1 » July 7th, 2012, 4:18 pm

Ty for the replys, some of the stuff i can change but others i cant/not sure how atm because its created with blog software (wordpress) which i have not had that much time to use with (i know html site's are probably better because you can edit them more but i didnt have a choice in this as i had to build it during work experience)

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » July 7th, 2012, 5:45 pm

I figured it was automated by the simply over the top and heavy 'inline' styling.

You should still be able to edit it, as long as you have access to your ftp files.
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."

cianw1
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by cianw1 » July 7th, 2012, 6:38 pm

I cant figure out why, if you click on forum, at the top it says 'Hardware Discussions' i cant seem to find a way to change it. Is there a way i can manually change the html of the website? (as apposed to using wordpress)

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » July 7th, 2012, 7:48 pm

If you own the hosting, then just access the files manually through FTP, if you do not own the hosting, then you have to make do with what you have.