PJ|Chucky and his map!

Have a jump map that we don't have on our site? Let us know!

Moderator: Core Staff

x0ozero0x
PS3 Team
PS3 Team
PSN ID: x0ozero0x

Re: PJ|Chucky and his pro map! (troll)

Post by x0ozero0x » June 19th, 2012, 2:58 pm

This map is for old school mode? If it isn't i can't even do the first jump :roll: but here are my opinions/criticisms so far:
1. I'm not a huge fan of the lighting it all seems a bit patchy and just seems to be dotted around everywhere.
2. Some of the prefabs or whatever all seem a bit random. You have got mini buildings, tanks, helicopters and floating bomb sites all in one room which doesn't make much sense. Pick a theme and roll with it.
3. They don't bother me as such as long as the map is enjoyable to play but people will mention the amount of floating platforms :P

I think a theme is the main key to making a well designed map. I know you're new to mapping but you should eventually pick this up. Look at kie's maps for instance his early maps such as eb_bouncer1 doesn't really have a theme and just looks like one room after another. But then look at one of his newest maps Nevada and you can see he has put thought into what the map will look like and he carries that theme out throughout the entire map. I know this doesn't really apply to this map at the moment because it is only one room but use this as reference for your future maps. For example if you use the idea of an air strip then make sure that a map resembles an air strip and incorporate the jumps around that (yes I saw the top of this map). You could have bounces off jets, helicopters, a control tower. I'm not sure what else an air strip can have they're kinda flat :mrgreen:
One final thing make sure that the textures match the desired theme/blend throughout the map.

[SoE]_Zaitsev
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by [SoE]_Zaitsev » June 19th, 2012, 3:39 pm

If I were to release a map, I would want people to be like: ''WOW!''. You never get that with floating platform maps. They just don't look good. In this topic or in another, I stated that ib_glass looked good, for a platform map, because of its unique style.

I would think of a theme, probably something medieval for me, castle related and work it out by adding hard jumps and bounces, building up difficulty towards the end. If you can combine hard jumps and an awesome looking map, you please both kind of people. Those who love looking at a good looking map, and those who search for difficulty. Combine them both, or come up with a unique setting.

People who build normal maps, just for normal gameplay, also want to make it as nice looking as possible right? When I want to download a map, I look at the screenshot and think to myself: ''This actually looks nice, I go check it out!''

People who make nice looking and tactical maps, also get rewarded for their skill and dedication as seen by Valve and TF2.

And correct me if I am wrong, but didn't BF2 and BF3 also have custom maps in them converted to official maps?

Lastly, who else wouldn't get inspirated by looking at Dan The Mans maps? Wishing you were as good as him?
matt101harris wrote:big cock was the first thing that came to my head lol

Chucky.
CJ Fan
CJ Fan

Post by Chucky. » June 19th, 2012, 3:48 pm

x0ozero0x wrote:This map is for old school mode? If it isn't i can't even do the first jump :roll: but here are my opinions/criticisms so far:
1. I'm not a huge fan of the lighting it all seems a bit patchy and just seems to be dotted around everywhere.
2. Some of the prefabs or whatever all seem a bit random. You have got mini buildings, tanks, helicopters and floating bomb sites all in one room which doesn't make much sense. Pick a theme and roll with it.
3. They don't bother me as such as long as the map is enjoyable to play but people will mention the amount of floating platforms :P

I think a theme is the main key to making a well designed map. I know you're new to mapping but you should eventually pick this up. Look at kie's maps for instance his early maps such as eb_bouncer1 doesn't really have a theme and just looks like one room after another. But then look at one of his newest maps Nevada and you can see he has put thought into what the map will look like and he carries that theme out throughout the entire map. I know this doesn't really apply to this map at the moment because it is only one room but use this as reference for your future maps. For example if you use the idea of an air strip then make sure that a map resembles an air strip and incorporate the jumps around that (yes I saw the top of this map). You could have bounces off jets, helicopters, a control tower. I'm not sure what else an air strip can have they're kinda flat :mrgreen:
One final thing make sure that the textures match the desired theme/blend throughout the map.
Thank you for your input. I thought the same about the lighting myself but I thought it kind of looked cool. With it being in spots, it was kind of hard because if I turned the radious on the lights up, the blue was way too bright but dark if that makes any sence, the intensity didn't make much difference neither. So the lights had to be radious 800 and intensity 2 and I had too put the lights on each bounce/platform or it wouldn't light up. The random buildings and tanks, yeah I agree but the thing is I've just got the edge of installing seamless textures for my next map which will be a themed map. I can't be doing with making a theme and some how putting bounces/platforms around it to make it still look like a themed map and too make them blend in. Most of the models are tanks, actors & guns. Like portal for instance, the creator got the white things that shoot you in the map, I don't know how to script things like that yet and there isn't a single tutorial that will teach me something like that, well not that I know of anyways. mp_lighthouse, it has sharks, rain, moving helicopters and at the start it has a jet that blows up the first jump, I don't know how to do amazing stuff like that. I've learned from playing my favourite maps like to_the_moon & dark_v2. Both of those maps are successful & they both have floating platforms. Anyways, thanks again for your opinion I really appreciate it. I'll try and improve =)
I was going to warrant you a response until I read "deleted due to children" on all your old posts. I don't want to go full loop on the subject.

To know what is 'wrong' (not a word I would use) you can refer back to previous posts about what SHOULD be in a map.
I didn't mean too be offensive, I was just stating what I thought was a fact. I trolled one guy, the next minute I have like 4 staff members & about 8 normal members trolling me. The guy I trolled didn't give a reason why it sucked (for him personally), he just said it was bad. Why? He also didn't keep it in this thread, he went on too troll my map even more on another thread.
if someone relase map then we have the right to express their opinion and if you played pj_intelligence I am sure that you cant say map is good but this is my opinion because the map does not make sense end you dont need be mad and do not criticize site because each map what is post is on download list
90% of that didn't make any sence but you get the idea...I guess.... 0_o

Chucky.
CJ Fan
CJ Fan

Post by Chucky. » June 19th, 2012, 3:55 pm

[SoE]_Zaitsev wrote:If I were to release a map, I would want people to be like: ''WOW!''. You never get that with floating platform maps. They just don't look good. In this topic or in another, I stated that ib_glass looked good, for a platform map, because of its unique style.

I would think of a theme, probably something medieval for me, castle related and work it out by adding hard jumps and bounces, building up difficulty towards the end. If you can combine hard jumps and an awesome looking map, you please both kind of people. Those who love looking at a good looking map, and those who search for difficulty. Combine them both, or come up with a unique setting.

People who build normal maps, just for normal gameplay, also want to make it as nice looking as possible right? When I want to download a map, I look at the screenshot and think to myself: ''This actually looks nice, I go check it out!''

People who make nice looking and tactical maps, also get rewarded for their skill and dedication as seen by Valve and TF2.

And correct me if I am wrong, but didn't BF2 and BF3 also have custom maps in them converted to official maps?

Lastly, who else wouldn't get inspirated by looking at Dan The Mans maps? Wishing you were as good as him?
Thanks for your opinion, I'll gladly try & improve. Sonic by DanTheMan was awesome, I agree the design was amazing, though you can't strafe much on that map because on the edge of each platform theres like a ledge that stops sprint. But anyways, yeah it's a great design and he's other maps are great too though I don't wish I was as good as him, I wish to be myself and become better in my own way =)

x0ozero0x
PS3 Team
PS3 Team
PSN ID: x0ozero0x

Post by x0ozero0x » June 19th, 2012, 4:36 pm

pjchucky wrote:on the edge of each platform theres like a ledge that stops sprint.
Yeah the beveled edges, they annoy me so much :x I think they were used as a way to make platforms higher but also to still be able get on them, or to fit in with the theme; yeah probably that one :P

[SoE]_Zaitsev
Core Staff
Core Staff

Re: PJ|Chucky and his map!

Post by [SoE]_Zaitsev » June 19th, 2012, 5:39 pm

Changed the topic name, if we can keep it to this level of discussion then it's actually enjoyable.

Chucky.
CJ Fan
CJ Fan

Post by Chucky. » June 19th, 2012, 6:31 pm

x0ozero0x wrote:
pjchucky wrote:on the edge of each platform theres like a ledge that stops sprint.
Yeah the beveled edges, they annoy me so much :x I think they were used as a way to make platforms higher but also to still be able get on them, or to fit in with the theme; yeah probably that one :P
Yeah, lol. I can't strafe with the edges like that for some reason. Maybe I need too improve on my skill, IDK.
Changed the topic name, if we can keep it to this level of discussion then it's actually enjoyable.
Thank you.

Pedsdude
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pedsdude » June 19th, 2012, 6:37 pm

Seems everyone's kissed and made up :shock:

Chucky.
CJ Fan
CJ Fan

Post by Chucky. » June 19th, 2012, 8:11 pm

Pedsdude wrote:Seems everyone's kissed and made up :shock:
Not here too rage or troll at people I don't even know. Only want opinions so I can improve and maybe to get too know a few CJer's.

[SoE]_Zaitsev
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by [SoE]_Zaitsev » June 19th, 2012, 8:53 pm

People here always try to give advice btw :) So for questions, just ask them.

Chucky.
CJ Fan
CJ Fan

Post by Chucky. » June 19th, 2012, 11:25 pm

[SoE]_Zaitsev wrote:People here always try to give advice btw :) So for questions, just ask them.
Will do =)

Sohvax
CJ Fan
CJ Fan

Post by Sohvax » June 20th, 2012, 6:08 pm

pjchucky wrote:
[SoE]_Zaitsev wrote:If I were to release a map, I would want people to be like: ''WOW!''. You never get that with floating platform maps. They just don't look good. In this topic or in another, I stated that ib_glass looked good, for a platform map, because of its unique style.

Thanks for your opinion, I'll gladly try & improve. Sonic by DanTheMan was awesome, I agree the design was amazing, though you can't strafe much on that map because on the edge of each platform theres like a ledge that stops sprint. But anyways, yeah it's a great design and he's other maps are great too though I don't wish I was as good as him, I wish to be myself and become better in my own way =)
It's really good that you want to create your own style of mapping, i like that. If you need any help towards mapping check out http://modsonline.com/Tutorials-list-17.html for radiant tutorials,
http://www.zeroy.com/script/ for help with scripting
or i could help with some stuff, add Ssspawny ;)

Chucky.
CJ Fan
CJ Fan

Post by Chucky. » June 21st, 2012, 6:45 pm

Sohvax wrote:
pjchucky wrote:

It's really good that you want to create your own style of mapping, i like that. If you need any help towards mapping check out http://modsonline.com/Tutorials-list-17.html for radiant tutorials,
http://www.zeroy.com/script/ for help with scripting
or i could help with some stuff, add Ssspawny ;)
Thank you for the links, I've added you =)