My CoD4 has suddenly stoppped working - SOLVED

Have a question you need to ask? Need help? Ask here!

Moderator: Core Staff

cianw1
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper
Gamertag: cianw1

My CoD4 has suddenly stoppped working - SOLVED

Post by cianw1 » February 19th, 2012, 4:31 pm

Ok so CoD4 has been working fine for months and months. Earlier today i was playing and as a server was changing maps it froze, so i opened task manager and it said CoD4 had stopped responding, so i force quit it.

Then i tried to re open CoD4 and it worked, but now as soon as i click the server browser i get the old 'iw3mp has stopped working' error. i cant open the server browser even with a mod loaded nor can i use devmap. I have also tried joining directly through xfire and that crashes after around 10 seconds ingame.

I have a realtek soundcard and i know there are some issues between this and CoD4 and i have the stereomix enabled. I have tried restarting my computer, updating realtek drivers and also re-installing CoD4. I have no idea now what to do and it is really annoying me as CoD4 is one of my favourite games to play.
Last edited by cianw1 on February 20th, 2012, 6:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Me: Well, i think the ONLY way to resolve this problem is...KS reseign from site admin and me to take his place, and then commence my plan for world domination...
KS : Done.

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Re: My CoD4 has suddenyl stoppped working - I cant play at a

Post by Drofder2004 » February 19th, 2012, 4:36 pm

Back up your config and then delete it.

I have had the problem a long time ago and is something (i think) to do with custom gametypes and the server browser.
Virgin Media 20Mb Broadband:
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."
Borked internet since: 22-07-2010

cianw1
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by cianw1 » February 19th, 2012, 9:50 pm

Drofder2004 wrote:Back up your config and then delete it.

I have had the problem a long time ago and is something (i think) to do with custom gametypes and the server browser.
I tried deleting my config and mpdata file and the problem still persists :(

Me: Well, i think the ONLY way to resolve this problem is...KS reseign from site admin and me to take his place, and then commence my plan for world domination...

Havana
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by Havana » February 19th, 2012, 11:21 pm

I don't know if this might work for you but it did for me. I also had the ".exe has stopped working" error.

Copy the "zone" folder from your disc and replace it with your current folder.
You may have to replace it several times because I had fastfile errors after I replaced the folder for the first time.
Second time I replaced the folder it ran like a charm without any errors and still does, weird huh?

beerxcarlos
CJ Newbie
CJ Newbie

Post by beerxcarlos » February 20th, 2012, 1:18 am

Really odd, been playing for past week no problem at all then this morning, exactly the same error let me in the game but between 1-5 mins 'iw3mp has stopped working' kicked me to desktop without warning.
I updated graphic card drivers and appeared to sort my problem out late this evening.
Hoping will still be working tommorow :S

Copy-Cat
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by Copy-Cat » February 20th, 2012, 5:20 am

This is going to sound silly but try this.... I think it will only work if you have a mod installed you can launch. I had several instances were this exact problem happened to me.

Load game
Click on "Mods" and launch with a mod like CodJumper (ya should know how to do this)
Then try clicking "Join Game"
If it works, then try joining a game that has a stock gametype like "Team Deathmatch"
now before you go and say "That is not the mod I have running, why am I going to join a TeamDeathmatch if I have Codjumper on?

Just join it and allow your game to reload. If you get in the game with no problems, you should be set.

Now quit and relaunch the game and click on "Join Game" if it doesn't crash then you have fixed it.

I hope this helps, it works for me.

Realy
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by Realy » February 20th, 2012, 6:35 am

delete your cfg and put default thead help me

cianw1
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by cianw1 » February 20th, 2012, 6:18 pm

Copy-Cat wrote:This is going to sound silly but try this.... I think it will only work if you have a mod installed you can launch. I had several instances were this exact problem happened to me.

Load game
Click on "Mods" and launch with a mod like CodJumper (ya should know how to do this)
Then try clicking "Join Game"
If it works, then try joining a game that has a stock gametype like "Team Deathmatch"
now before you go and say "That is not the mod I have running, why am I going to join a TeamDeathmatch if I have Codjumper on?

Just join it and allow your game to reload. If you get in the game with no problems, you should be set.

Now quit and relaunch the game and click on "Join Game" if it doesn't crash then you have fixed it.

I hope this helps, it works for me.

I have already tried that it worked at first but then the second time i tried it it didnt :cry:

*EDIT*-

So i thought what the hell and tried it again and this time it did work ^^ I then did as you said and closed the game and re launched and clicked join game straight away and it took me to server browser so as far as I can see it is fixed :) The only downside is for some reason my favourites have all been deleted :/
Last edited by cianw1 on February 20th, 2012, 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cianw1
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by cianw1 » February 20th, 2012, 6:23 pm

Havana wrote:I don't know if this might work for you but it did for me. I also had the ".exe has stopped working" error.

Copy the "zone" folder from your disc and replace it with your current folder.
You may have to replace it several times because I had fastfile errors after I replaced the folder for the first time.
Second time I replaced the folder it ran like a charm without any errors and still does, weird huh?
Not sure what you mean by this? what shall i replace my current 'zone' folder with?

Havana
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by Havana » February 20th, 2012, 6:59 pm

cianw1 wrote:Not sure what you mean by this? what shall i replace my current 'zone' folder with?
Open the "zone" folder from your disc, copy all files and paste/replace them in the "zone" folder on your hard disk.

cianw1
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by cianw1 » February 21st, 2012, 12:16 am

Havana wrote:
cianw1 wrote:Not sure what you mean by this? what shall i replace my current 'zone' folder with?
Open the "zone" folder from your disc, copy all files and paste/replace them in the "zone" folder on your hard disk.
I dont have a zone folder on my disc.