Competitive Call of Duty

General chat area for anything whatsoever

Moderator: Core Staff

dnjr
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Competitive Call of Duty

Post by dnjr » January 29th, 2011, 6:33 pm

If you dont read this, you're dead weight.

There have been loads of opinions about codbo being the next competitive thing, tried there myself, but seems like people really don't like the game anymore. The hype is really gone, I've lost my motivation to play it, haven't touched it for more than a month, even though I like some things about it.

best cod for us

This is what this thread is all about. I want to voice my opinion of "which CoD title would make the best competitive game in the whole series ", seeing as Treyarch or IW wont be releasing anything PC-HAPPY anytime soon, having their stuff juggled by Activision.

In my opinion, it is Cod2

Don't get me wrong, I love vcod. And I'd love to play it competitively again, it was such an amazing game, in such great times . Just hyper. But the situation that we're in right now, shows, that people have grown impatient, and they really don't like camping_warz, nor do they like health gauge, whichs says "depleted, no-refills today".

Now, here is some comparison stuff to other Cod series games, because in 5 secs we're gonna have 15 y/o distributing Noble prizes to cod4promod, and sending other cods down the drain.

Ok, so, the GOOD list about cod2 :

- headshots (YEP)

- ACTUAL walls (non-penetrable creates more interesting gameplay, more spectator friendly clutch-insane situations)

- machineguns with moderate fire (recoil is not really too hard to control, but you actually have to work for it + non-pen-walls help)

- rifles (they create amazing gameplay, they create movies, they are super flexible in dare devil's hands)

- reload-jump-shots ( i bet half cod4 folks dont even know what he heck this skill is)

- binocular-machinegun-first-bullet-trick (even if it's not game-changing, nor game-enhancing, it's actually a thing none other cod game has)

- great maps (having played cod4 - didn't like a single map, except, crash, perhaps, would love it re-mapped in cod2)

- no-sprint (that's actually a good thing. it calls out brains of players, of how to rush in more tactical manner, rather than sprint+jump+spray; also - things become a little more predictable in-match, giving better clutch abilities)

- entertaining bombsites (yes. they're actually interesting, comparing to same-looking-boxes in cod4, you can hide behind them, plant in different angles, use them as cover)

- has faction-dependent weapons (thats one of the main reasons, why gameplay is interesting. you ACTUALLY have to master at least 1 weapon per-faction, you can't keep choosing AK every single time)

- camping (yes, you actually are able to do it here-and-there from time to time, you dont have to keep moving chaoticly like some idiot, because somebody will spray you through a wall if you don't)

- it has full-working PAM , which is reasonably easy-to-develop project, which only slightly changes stock game (yes, cod2 competitive is only one step away from the original version, HOW COOL IS THAT)

- guns in cod2 have signature-sway , original to each gun (it actually makes every gun feel a little different, with different sensitivity. it's amazing, comparing to plastic-feeling cod4 guns)

- cod2 movies ...day and night, comparing to cod4 movies, which look EXACTLY the same EVERY single time

- <insert moar>

PROBLEMS considering cod2 :

- vertical clip glitch (honourable players usually dont use it)
- weapon/body sticking through walls (smart players avoid this problem, but still happens, should be fixed)
- autoclimb (it's actually not a bug. happens. avoid it. if it happens again - just have a laugh at it. gives charm to the game)
- punkbuster immune cheats (heard ESL or some other org. has some anti-cheat, that cannot be surpassed ? possible to use it ?)
- cod2 pubs are half empty, due to noobs moving to MW2, BO, or COD4. it's aproblem, but there is a way to fix it
- <insert moar>

NOW, HAVING READ ALL THAT, you'll say - it's a standstill, nobody wants anything to happen, and nobody will move a single finger for anything to happen, because it's useless.

I have a solution for all this, it's not an easy one, and it would be hard to make it happen. But this community is strong, once we went for WSVG, and we DID IT.

Here is the idea:

Petition - Pressure - Activision to re-release Cod2 in a manner that Quake Live has been released.
But how do you bribe Activision to do it ? Because sure as hell, they wouldnt like to pull away any potential 60$ invest0rz in MW3.

You bribe them like this:
- re-releasing an already developed game with minor changes (fixin several problems, and adding some new stuff)
- activision would clear their name amongst some old fans, also, they'd get money from people, who have sworn not to buy another call of duty game in their lifetime, after MW2, or COD4 for that matter
- release the game cheap, 5.99 or 9.99 on Steam, or even a cheap hard-copy (that would give them plenty of money + leave customers money to buy MW3 or whatever)
- in my opinion, it would connect them to their old fans, it would be A GOOD THING TO DO

What do you ask of them, if they AGREE to do it ?

- fix vertical clip glitch (IW fixed it in cod4 in 1.2 or somewhat patch, copy-paste code ?)
- fix see-through-walls weapons/bodies
- add new-anticheat, or do something about useless PB, which is SO, atm, causing people lags and sleepin on cheatz0rs
- add theater mode from BO, if possible ? and add CODTV to that ?
- make map contest for community, people will love it, and add 2-3 maps from it to the original game
- if they're serious about it, they could even improve graphics a tiny bit (cod2 dx9 is a bit bugged), though, it's not needed

A bit of tl;dr, now.
Why would we want an all new re-release of cod2 ? Why not just go and play it as it is right now.
It's quite simple. It would create a hype. Players from MW2, BO, who are tired of perks and other shit flying in the air, would give a good old ME_AND_THE_FUCKING_GUN_AND_NOTHIN_ELSE a try, and they would probably like it. In other words, now that we know, WHAT WE WANT from a game, having tried cod4, codwaw, codmw2, codbo, to touch something oldfashioned, less chaotic and flimsy, would make a positive impact on the community. Besides, whenever you talk to older cod fans, they always speak about cod2 with a positive regard. EVERYBODY liked it.

In my opinion, it's the last chance to gather the community to one game.

What else do we need for this to happen ?

- a website for cod community only. old vcod, cod2 demos, movies. a tutorial section, a forum section (much alike with gotfrag forums - simple, effective, almost irc style stuff.sorry to say this, but tek9 forums suck, it's just endless chaos and trolling. before cod4, cod community was much more friendly, as in...ACTUALLY FRIENDLY.

- few representatives, who could represent PC community to Activision or IW for that matter. Not sure who we need - folks from bash and slash have skillz, perhaps people, who are close to Activision/IW them IRL, or could simply meet and talk them into-it, would do. This is important

- LANS. If this game ever happens...Would it be hard to push the game to some LANS in EU/USA instead of Cod4 ? Possible.

WANT TO HELP ?:

- if you're a website guru, or could provide space for a website, contact me
- if you're really good with photoshop, contact me
- if you're a movie maker, and you would REALLY love to help, contact me
- if you're an overall know name in community, or you run a community website for your country etc., contact me
- if you're good with an axe or knives for that matter, and would like to "take it out" on cod hackers, contact me
- if you've got ideas, contacts, and other stuff - contact me
- if you're positive about cod2 - keep bumping this topic for as long as it needs to, and tell ur friends

xf: dnjr

Our current plan is:

1) Start looking for proper people, who could talk to Activision (native English-Speakers), and people, make and calculate a plan, which could be presented to Activision
2) Build one-page website, state our proposition, and main supporters
2) Let the website go around, show that we're serious
3) Build-in simplistic, yet effective forums into the website
4) When we find proper people for the job, continue with the plan, by starting the petition off
5) Keep the hype going, with the help of our veterans (some old-school comp. gamers with well known names have already made contact, which is great)
6) As soon as petition is launched, we'd like people, who support us, start playing cod2 more than cod4, to rack up stats on different tracking websites
7) Create a news + movie + demo + picture of the day (vcod/cod2) section on the website, converting the website to an oldschool cod fan lounge, where people can hang out, without 12y/o trollin
8] After 1-2 weeks of stat raping, present Activision with our full, well coordinated assault, involving numbers, statements, stats, petition and all the serious faces, to show that we mean business.

Even if most of stuff fails, my hope is to create a place, where cod'ers could gather, where cod titles, that ruined the series, could be forgotten, and people would just come together. EVEN if the Activision deal would fail, this would provide a firm ground to step off to any decision we take. And I can promise you, the first thread on those forums will be USA vs EU.

Rezil
Core Staff
Core Staff

Re: Competitive Call of Duty

Post by Rezil » January 29th, 2011, 6:47 pm

wat
Drofder2004: Drofder's rules for reviewing a map
[...]
#5 If your name is Rezil, minimum 5/5.
---
<LT>YosemiteSam[NL]:
I heard somewhere that the best way to start is juggling 2 balls with one hand, so you will get a feel for it.

[SoE]_Zaitsev
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by [SoE]_Zaitsev » January 29th, 2011, 6:49 pm

I thought it was some weirdo bot spam posting this everywhere but I don't think it is.

Nice idea and all, but do you honestly believe Activision will give a fuck ? A couple of million copies of MW3 or whatever CoD will come later vs a few thousand copies sold of a re-skinned CoD2 ?
matt101harris wrote:big cock was the first thing that came to my head lol

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » January 29th, 2011, 7:01 pm

I read a lot of it, but then read "start a petition" and I sorta chuckled a little inside.

Not going to happen, stop wasting your time.

PC gaming has changed, whether you like it or not, we are long passed the era of slow paced WW2 games, we have are currently just about to end the era of modern warfare style games and will soon move into futuritic or alien stuff.
You cannot and will not bribe a multibillion dollar company into releasing a game that will make them zero profits.
Virgin Media 20Mb Broadband:
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."
Borked internet since: 22-07-2010

dnjr
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by dnjr » January 29th, 2011, 8:28 pm

You see guys, you're negative. Don't be.

If you're saying that Activision is a multi-million dollar company, who doesnt care a bout several thousand people on the most unpopular platform, WHAT I have to say to that is - they care about positive publicity. They care about Call of Duty name flashing around, instead of counter strike or anything for that matter. Cod2 itself could become an advertising campaign for the game, if you're familiar with advertising methods, you'll understand.

If you're saying, "petition" makes you laugh...Well then, sir, when you have to prove to Activision of potential buyers, who would buy the game, WHAT KIND of other tool would you use to prove it, other than petition ?

Hoogie
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Hoogie » January 29th, 2011, 9:12 pm

Call of Duty is known enough as it is and they won't do it even if you collect 1.000.000 people that sign your petition.

Good luck tough.
-=[[CoDJumper.com Movies]]=-
[[Ambush]] || [[Backlot]] || [[Bloc]] || [[Bog]] || [[Broadcast]] || [[Chinatown]] || [[Countdown]]
[[Crash]] || [[Creek]] || [[Crossfire]] || [[District]] || [[Downpour]] || [[Killhouse]] || [[Overgrown]]
[[Pipeline]] || [[Shipment & Wetwork]] || [[Showdown]] || [[Strike]] || [[Vacant]]

A woman can fake an orgasm, but a man can fake an entire relationship

dnjr
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by dnjr » January 29th, 2011, 9:20 pm

KillerSam wrote:
dnjr wrote: If you're saying, "petition" makes you laugh...Well then, sir, when you have to prove to Activision of potential buyers, who would buy the game, WHAT KIND of other tool would you use to prove it, other than petition ?
Market trends. If Activision feel it is in their best interests to make this game - they will get it made and release it. The fact is they are investing in games that they know will sell tens of millions of copies at full price. Companies like activision will be spending many many hundreds of thousands, if not millions of pounds researching what customers will and will not buy. You almost certainly can't change their view without changing where you spend your money.
That's very insightful and true.

Therefore, here's my opinion about it...

People have taken their share of Cod Modern Bullsh*t series.
cod4, cod5, cod6, now even cod7 is the same marathon with perks and all the necessary bling, which gives nothing. People KNOW what they want from a game now, at least the majority of oldschool fans.

So, when you're saying "You almost certainly can't change their view without changing where you spend your money.", I'm saying - petition + stat racking would be quite solid in proving something.

Besides, look at the facts - it's an already developed game. It has everything, all it needs is 3-5 people team, to work on a patch. And that patch doesnt need designers, sound artists, nothing like that - all it needs is some technical stuff sorted out.

____

"Call of Duty is known enough as it is and they won't do it even if you collect 1.000.000 people that sign your petition."

You see, here's the trick - if Activision is investing 100'000 or 1.000'000 of dollars into advertising, then HOW COULD less than 10'000 $ hurt, if the name of the game would get carried around like a baby prince ? The idea is self explanatory, and if presented well, I think it has potential to work.

Soviet
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Soviet » January 29th, 2011, 10:42 pm

Hoogie wrote:Call of Duty is known enough as it is and they won't do it even if you collect 1.000.000 people that sign your petition.

Good luck tough.
ImageImageImage
"Zaitsev is a cunt." - Pedsdude

Husker
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by Husker » January 29th, 2011, 11:52 pm

First, your not the only one who thought of that... secound, I hope it does work,but, Activision is known for ignoring PC community,but, as you might notice Treyarch did fix quickscoping in Black Ops so there's hope...even tho you must get this like #1 commented topic on tek9 :?
My Youtube---->http://www.youtube.com/user/BSGhusker
Add me as a friend on Xfire---->username: Husker3011

PeЧĐuĐe@CoDJumper.com: hairdresser in my house
PeЧĐuĐe@CoDJumper.com: she comes round to cut my mum's hair
HuÅŸker@DeadMouse: your mum's "hair" xD
PeЧĐuĐe@CoDJumper.com: oh dear.

PeЧĐuĐe@CoDJumper.com: I'm making a joint map with KS
HuÅŸker@DeadMouse: joint?
PeЧĐuĐe@CoDJumper.com: fine, weed map

Soviet
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Soviet » January 29th, 2011, 11:58 pm

To be quite honest, you must be absolutely delusional if you honestly think customer feedback will have even the most remote impact on Activision's future decisions regarding CoD.
ImageImageImage

Hoogie
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Hoogie » January 30th, 2011, 12:02 am

Husker wrote:but, as you might notice Treyarch did fix quickscoping in Black Ops so there's hope
Did anyone from the PC community actually wanted them to fix that?
-=[[CoDJumper.com Movies]]=-
[[Ambush]] || [[Backlot]] || [[Bloc]] || [[Bog]] || [[Broadcast]] || [[Chinatown]] || [[Countdown]]
[[Crash]] || [[Creek]] || [[Crossfire]] || [[District]] || [[Downpour]] || [[Killhouse]] || [[Overgrown]]
[[Pipeline]] || [[Shipment & Wetwork]] || [[Showdown]] || [[Strike]] || [[Vacant]]

A woman can fake an orgasm, but a man can fake an entire relationship

Pedsdude
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pedsdude » January 30th, 2011, 12:07 am

What people seem to have failed to mention in this topic thus far (or at least from what I skim read, and I'm pretty sure I skim read accurately), is that games these days are focussed on console versions. This then links in with what other people have mentioned - what we want as a PC community is irrelevant to them. They'll make products where they can make the most money (i.e. console versions, i.e. MW2 and BO), and PC will just be a side thought. That's the way most things are going.

[SoE]_Zaitsev
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by [SoE]_Zaitsev » January 30th, 2011, 12:07 am

Nobody wanted them to patch bouncing either :P But like it or not, bouncing is a massive glitch in the game, but great for us!

But hey, quickscoping is not natural. I remember Treyarch saying that they want sniping to be realistic, and quick scoping is not realistic. Can still do jump shots though :D
matt101harris wrote:big cock was the first thing that came to my head lol

dnjr
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by dnjr » January 30th, 2011, 12:42 am

Husker wrote:even tho you must get this like #1 commented topic on tek9 :?
that's why I brought you along, babe :mrgreen:

Soviet
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Soviet » January 30th, 2011, 1:05 am

I would strongly disagree that games these days are console focused. Maybe your new CoDs which are just money making spam products are, but as a whole PC gaming is becoming more and more powerful. Indie games are taking hold, games like Starcraft 2 are vastly expanding both the PC gamer audience and the competitive gaming scene. Communities like Steam are beginning to easily rival Xbox Live. Even things like Facebook and Minecraft are having profoundly positive effects on the PC gaming scene. Activision is simply an archaic company that will follow the same path EA took a few years back pretty soon, and for that I am happy.
ImageImageImage