Silver guns?!

Have a question about modding, modelling or skinning? Have a tutorial to post? Post here!

Moderator: Core Staff

Frazzer
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Silver guns?!

Post by Frazzer » July 9th, 2009, 1:46 pm

Well, I'm doing skins for guns for almost 2 months now but I still haven't figured out how to get guns shiny. Because I think we all know that handguns like the stock Colt look ugly with that weird metal and the Berretta looks like plastic which doesn't really make them look realistic.

So my idea was, change the Grip so it looks more realistic (already done), but I'm stuck on making it silver/shiny. No tutorials found on the web so maybe if anyone could help me I would really appreciate that.

-Fraz

Soviet
Core Staff
Core Staff

Re: Silver guns?!

Post by Soviet » July 9th, 2009, 5:08 pm

You need to mess around with the specular map. For ever gun texture there is one called specular or something similar. When you open it in photoshop you'll notice that it is black and white. The lighter the shade of gray the more that area of the skin will reflect in game, the darker, the less. So, make the areas closer to white where you want it to reflect and then save it and convert it like a normal skin file.
ImageImageImage
"Zaitsev is a cunt." - Pedsdude

Frazzer
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Re: Silver guns?!

Post by Frazzer » July 9th, 2009, 5:24 pm

Fuck man I love you! Thanks for the help. Didn't know that you can edit specular files. :P