Moderator: Core Staff

WorldDomoNation
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Onlive

Post by WorldDomoNation » March 25th, 2009, 6:16 pm

Check out this awesome new game service thing,

http://www.onlive.com/

It was shown at GDC last night, and it looks crazy! I read something in an interview or some article about how they were developing something that would allow games like Crysis to be played on a crappy low-end computer, and I guess this is it! I already know that you guys are extremely skeptical, because thats just how this forum works but whatever :lol:

You can sign up for the beta on the site, so maybe sometime near the end of this year we can be using this!

Also, there's going to be controller support, on the little console thing, but I don't know how that's gunna work out. PC controls are MUCH better than console controls. I dunno, they might have controller dedicated servers... for noobs who like using controllers instead of mouse + keyboard :lol:
that's a nice pic and all, but out of all the pictures you could have taken why'd you take a picture of a plant? :P
-Soviet
Because plants have some really small details. If a plant comes out nice in a photo, you have yourself a good camera ;)
-Drofder 2004
Yes, but if boobs come out really well in a photo you have a picture of boobs :wink:
-Soviet
Discussing Marshall's new camera lol^

Quit Humping And Start Jumping!

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Re: Onlive

Post by Drofder2004 » March 25th, 2009, 8:14 pm

Not sceptical at all. In fact, I wonder why it hasn't been thought of before. From what I see, all it is, is streamed gaming. No different to a video. You send input commands to another computer that is running the game, the other computer sends back video signal.
Virgin Media 20Mb Broadband:
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."
Borked internet since: 22-07-2010

WorldDomoNation
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by WorldDomoNation » March 25th, 2009, 8:22 pm

One question I have is, what if you already have a game that you want to play with this service, will you have to buy it again?
that's a nice pic and all, but out of all the pictures you could have taken why'd you take a picture of a plant? :P
-Soviet
Because plants have some really small details. If a plant comes out nice in a photo, you have yourself a good camera ;)
-Drofder 2004
Yes, but if boobs come out really well in a photo you have a picture of boobs :wink:
-Soviet

Koekie
Past/Inactive Team Member
Past/Inactive Team Member

Post by Koekie » March 25th, 2009, 8:56 pm

Sounds great, wouldn't have to buy or upgrade your pc every few years :)

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » March 25th, 2009, 11:06 pm

Koekie wrote:Sounds great, wouldn't have to buy or upgrade your pc every few years :)
Could you imagine playing a SP game and instead of low fps you get connection lag? :P
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."

Pedsdude
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pedsdude » March 26th, 2009, 12:08 am

You need to be at least 18, based in the US and have a broadband-connected PC running Windows Vista®/XP®, or an Intel®-based Mac.
US bastards!

Nightmare
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Nightmare » March 26th, 2009, 1:05 am

Pedsdude wrote:
You need to be at least 18, based in the US and have a broadband-connected PC running Windows Vista®/XP®, or an Intel®-based Mac.
US bastards!
I wouldn't use this service anyway.
They've got plenty of ways to screw people over with this one.
Coding is Poetry. Mapping is Art.
"Cause im the sexiest mapper ever...except for nm, that sexy man" - Soviet

-=[CoDJumper.com Movies]=-
[Ambush] || [Backlot] || [Bloc] || [Bog] || [Broadcast] || [Chinatown] || [Countdown]
[Crash] || [Creek] || [Crossfire] || [District] || [Downpour] || [Killhouse] || [Overgrown]
[Pipeline] || [Shipment & Wetwork] || [Showdown] || [Strike] || [Vacant]

WorldDomoNation
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by WorldDomoNation » March 26th, 2009, 1:58 am

imo, I can't see why you wouldn't use this! You could sign up for the service and play games instantly! You'll also be able to play those games anywhere! Just think of steam, but without downloading and installing on every PC you use! In addition to that, it won't take up any HDD space! Just a tiny bit for the initiall install.

And. Regardiing lag, using clusters of servers in several states, there will be NO lag at all!

Succks for everyone not in the US though, which is most of this forum.
-Soviet
-Drofder 2004
-Soviet

Infinite
PC Team
PC Team

Post by Infinite » March 26th, 2009, 2:01 am

WorldDomoNation wrote:imo, I can't see why you wouldn't use this! You could sign up for the service and play games instantly! You'll also be able to play those games anywhere! Just think of steam, but without downloading and installing on every PC you use! In addition to that, it won't take up any HDD space! Just a tiny bit for the initiall install.

And. Regardiing lag, using clusters of servers in several states, there will be NO lag at all!

Succks for everyone not in the US though, which is most of this forum.

Europeans discriminate Americans for reasons which are very "retarded" to say the least. They will hate anything that's for the US only.
"The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together."
"A still more glorious dawn awaits- not a sun rise, but a galaxy rise. A morning filled with four hundred billion suns: the rising of The Milky Way." - Carl Sagan

[15:19] _MattyTÒ£eFarmer_: infinate
[15:19] _MattyTÒ£eFarmer_: u r smarter than me

BlueDamselfly
CJ G0D!
CJ G0D!

Post by BlueDamselfly » March 26th, 2009, 2:26 am

As usual, I'm of course confused about this but it looks cool kinda since my net sucks and I'd not have to download anything I guess?

But anyway even if its only in USA for now I believe it ll come in other countries like awesome Canada and europe or whatever soon like every other product does.

edit: oh no wait if I read right its only the beta which is in US? I guess I was retard, whatever.
Codjumper.com's Youtube! - For all your CoDJumping needs!
[18:43] The President: plus i'm downloading a map called <will obviously not quote that>
[18:43] The President: how gay is that
[18:43] Damselflies<3MyDog: almost as much as matty
[18:43] The President: nah not that much
[18:44] Damselflies<3MyDog: rofl

Pedsdude
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pedsdude » March 26th, 2009, 4:02 am

Surely if it's gonna be high quality video, that'd be effectively streaming very high quality video, which could lag considerably?

JDogg
Too cool for CoDJumper
Too cool for CoDJumper

Post by JDogg » March 26th, 2009, 7:52 am

Hmm, sounds like a good idea.

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » March 26th, 2009, 12:24 pm

WorldDomoNation wrote:And. Regardiing lag, using clusters of servers in several states, there will be NO lag at all!.
Of course there will. Stop reading the media hype. If I am running on a 56k modem. I will lag, no matter how many clusters there are in use. If I am running on a connection that has high traffic/noise on my line, I will lag. The only thing they can be sure that is lag free is their end. Their lines may be lag free, but your personal connection (different for almost everyone in the world) will be different. If I had a 300 metre long ethernet cable locally connecting me and my modem, that would cause lag.

Think logically, this isn't a LAN connection, anything on the internet can and will lag at some point.

This is not going to be a free service. You will have to PAY for the service AND the games. I would not be suprised if they introduced P2P (pay2play)

Pedsdude
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pedsdude » March 30th, 2009, 3:44 am

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » March 30th, 2009, 3:59 pm

I'm glad someone posted this, as this is been sorta bugging me for a while. How could this be possible on the scale that would be worthy?

It sorta clicked in my own head earlier, thinking that I could play games on my laptop by using a "remote pc" type conenction, but surely even the minor latency between the LAN computers would be too much for reaction speed to kick in.
It wont work, I would recommend people just spend £300 if they want most games to run at 60 FPS.