The Witcher

Discussion for other PC and console games

Moderator: Core Staff

Soviet
Core Staff
Core Staff

The Witcher

Post by Soviet » January 7th, 2009, 12:00 am

I found this game that I got free with my video card a day before I went on vacation. In that day and the 3 free days after I got back that followed, I've already played this game for 44 hours (my longest previous gaming session was about 8 hours and the longest I've had on the Witcher is about 14 hours).

It's a singleplayer RPG similar to Oblivion (graphics aren't quite as nice) and in the beginning it is very clunky (although that could have been since I didn't patch it until after the prologue). After I got into it, however, I found all the little features and depth of the game to be magnificent. They take the game in a direction I've never seen and the complexity was perfect for me. I found the gameplay to be intuitive and original. The music is great and really helps the atmosphere. But two things really stood out to me, story and length. After 44 hours, I'm a little over halfway through the game, and after many short games before it, it really feels good to just keep playing without replaying. The story is easily the best I've seen in an RPG and honestly, the only video game story I can think of that I like more is Half Life's.

After putting it down in about 5 minutes the first time, I forced myself through the badness of the beginning into the best RPG I've ever played (I've also played WoW, Guild Wars, Dungeon Siege, and a few others). Obviously, the game isn't that new and I know many people out there are engrossed in WoW, but I figured I'd post this in case someone is bored and looking for somewhere to outlet their boredom without submitting themselves to rapid money loss.
ImageImageImage
"Zaitsev is a cunt." - Pedsdude

JDogg
Too cool for CoDJumper
Too cool for CoDJumper

Re: The Witcher

Post by JDogg » January 7th, 2009, 2:55 am

I watched a review of the game, looked ok, but not really my type of game, but I will check it out.

[SoE]_Zaitsev
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by [SoE]_Zaitsev » January 7th, 2009, 12:15 pm

I've seen it aswell. Wasn't impressed by it (And I don't buy games that quick either).
matt101harris wrote:big cock was the first thing that came to my head lol

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » January 8th, 2009, 1:06 am

You'd better be fucking right about this game! Gonna try it 2moro hopefully (and yes, ofcourse I am going to buy it).

Did you try the original Witcher or the Enhanced btw?
Virgin Media 20Mb Broadband:
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."
Borked internet since: 22-07-2010

Soviet
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Soviet » January 8th, 2009, 1:19 am

Enhanced. And understand I'm not saying GO OUT AND BUY THIS. I'm saying if you're bored give it a go. It may not fit some of your tastes. I find it amazing, but that's just me.
ImageImageImage

JDogg
Too cool for CoDJumper
Too cool for CoDJumper

Post by JDogg » January 8th, 2009, 1:40 am

Soviet wrote:Enhanced. And understand I'm not saying GO OUT AND BUY THIS. I'm saying if you're bored give it a go. It may not fit some of your tastes. I find it amazing, but that's just me.
Would it run ok on my piece of horse cock? Or is there a 360 version?.

Soviet
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Soviet » January 8th, 2009, 1:43 am

it's too good for console. I've run it on all highest with around 80fps constant

3ghz dual core
8800gt
2gb RAM
ImageImageImage

JDogg
Too cool for CoDJumper
Too cool for CoDJumper

Post by JDogg » January 8th, 2009, 1:56 am

3ghz P4
8400GS
1gb Ram

Code: Select all

ntel Pentium 4 2.4GHz or AMD Athlon 64 +2800

1 GB RAM for Microsoft® Windows® XP / 1536 MB for Microsoft® Windows® Vista

128 MB Video RAM or greater with DirectX9 Vertex Shader/ Pixel Shader 2.0 support (NVIDIA GeForce 6600 or ATI Radeon 9800 or better)

8.5 GB available hard drive space

DirectX 9.0c compliant soundcard, plus speakers or headphones

DVD-Rom
Yay :D.

Infinite
PC Team
PC Team

Post by Infinite » January 8th, 2009, 2:06 am

Soviet wrote:it's too good for console. I've run it on all highest with around 80fps constant

3ghz dual core
8800gt
2gb RAM
http://www.thewitcher.com/index.php

Look at the bottom xD.

I might try out this game, once i look at the gameplay on youtube.
"The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together."
"A still more glorious dawn awaits- not a sun rise, but a galaxy rise. A morning filled with four hundred billion suns: the rising of The Milky Way." - Carl Sagan

[15:19] _MattyTÒ£eFarmer_: infinate
[15:19] _MattyTÒ£eFarmer_: u r smarter than me

Soviet
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Soviet » January 8th, 2009, 4:49 am

Done, 48 hours. It comes down to this, if you can plunge yourself into, fight your way past the beginning and just immerse yourself in it, it is a fantastic experience. The ending was easily the best I have ever experienced in a game before (at least that I can remember). I'd have to say beyond everything else in the game though, the open-ended nature is what made it amazing for me. Every decision you make has repercussions on the world around you, eventually, you end up deciding the outcome of things as large as revolutions, wars, and the fate of the character. It's not even that it added replayability for me, it truly gave me a new experience in gaming and that is not something I can say often about a game. If you play games for the action, graphics, or just flat out gameplay, I'd be cautious. But if you truly admire the story of a game and what it brings, I'd definitely recommend it.
ImageImageImage

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » January 8th, 2009, 4:54 am

Soviet wrote:...I'm not saying GO OUT AND BUY THIS...
Well what do you suggest I do then!

Stop giving me mixed messages :'(
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."

Soviet
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Soviet » January 8th, 2009, 5:37 am

The reason I warn is the game is totally my style, so my opinion will unlikely be most people's. As I said in the last post, buy it for the story. The gameplay is good, no doubt, but then again, I got bored of WoW in a month.
ImageImageImage

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » January 8th, 2009, 11:58 am

Ok, not gonna buy it. Just watched gameplay clips and well, it looks ok, but its not my style.

Infinite
PC Team
PC Team

Post by Infinite » January 8th, 2009, 12:34 pm

Drofder2004 wrote:Ok, not gonna buy it. Just watched gameplay clips and well, it looks ok, but its not my style.
+1
"The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together."
"A still more glorious dawn awaits- not a sun rise, but a galaxy rise. A morning filled with four hundred billion suns: the rising of The Milky Way." - Carl Sagan

[15:19] _MattyTÒ£eFarmer_: infinate
[15:19] _MattyTÒ£eFarmer_: u r smarter than me

[SoE]_Zaitsev
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by [SoE]_Zaitsev » January 8th, 2009, 6:45 pm

Soviet wrote:The reason I warn is the game is totally my style, so my opinion will unlikely be most people's. As I said in the last post, buy it for the story. The gameplay is good, no doubt, but then again, I got bored of WoW in a month.
WoW has a fantastic archive of lore though. So you'll like questing a lot more if you're fmiliar (And interested) in the lore behind it all. Like I do.

But yeh, a short while after level 80, and you only have to raid or PvP, the game gets pretty boring. But that's with most games. Complete it once, it was cool, and now what ?

A good example is Oblivion, I completed it several times, but I still play it (Although not as much anymore because of new games). Some games for my GC/Wii are the same. I love F-zero and Pikmin as an example, but other games I finished once and I never played it another time.
matt101harris wrote:big cock was the first thing that came to my head lol