Brothers in Arms: Hells Highway

Discussion for other PC and console games

Moderator: Core Staff

Soviet
Core Staff
Core Staff

Brothers in Arms: Hells Highway

Post by Soviet » October 9th, 2008, 5:58 am

I got it for the free Road to Hill 30 deal on steam. It turns out to be an absolutely fantastic game, and is far better than any of the previous Brothers in Arms. It combines squad based tactics with the shooting skill of Call of Duty. I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants an intense Call of Duty experience with much more realism (one shot and your squad members die) and more tactics. The graphics are quite good as well, and the enviroments are extremely immersive. Also, the difficulty is much more balanced in this one.

I think nm can back me up on this one.
ImageImageImage
"Zaitsev is a cunt." - Pedsdude

[SoE]_Zaitsev
Core Staff
Core Staff

Re: Brothers in Arms: Hells Highway

Post by [SoE]_Zaitsev » October 9th, 2008, 11:11 am

I'll stick to CoD series :)

It's probably a good game but it's a no-no for me.
matt101harris wrote:big cock was the first thing that came to my head lol

Nightmare
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Nightmare » October 9th, 2008, 12:34 pm

I was just about to make a post about it.
I finished it in about 7 hours, which is a good length considering I sped through most of it.
I will go back and do it again while paying attention to detail this time, but from what I have seen already, it is amazing.

The storyline is well done; they did a great job continuing and building off of BiA: Road to Hill 30.
The controls are very smooth and the troops react a lot faster than the original.
One thing that has been bothering me is how the squad will sometimes corner you, making it impossible to move unless you order them to move somewhere else.

The cover system is nice, although I wish you weren't forced to use it as much (if you simply crouch behind cover, you can still get hit), but it's fine how it is executed.

The best part of the game is the cinematic and extra details in the game.
If you pay close attention, you will notice Leggett’s ghost (A fallen soldier from the original game) in some spots, hear his voices, etc. Halfway through the game, I noticed that the game took a turn from the kraut happy shooting sequences to a dark hellish style, which adds great variety. I have to say, that hospital level is creepy, it had me on the edge of my seat.

On a final note, this game is a must play for anyone who wants to try something new.
It might be hard to get a hold of the command concept at first, but once you have that down its great fun to play. Also, I suggest trying out BiA: Road to Hill 30 first so you can understand the story.
Coding is Poetry. Mapping is Art.
"Cause im the sexiest mapper ever...except for nm, that sexy man" - Soviet

-=[CoDJumper.com Movies]=-
[Ambush] || [Backlot] || [Bloc] || [Bog] || [Broadcast] || [Chinatown] || [Countdown]
[Crash] || [Creek] || [Crossfire] || [District] || [Downpour] || [Killhouse] || [Overgrown]
[Pipeline] || [Shipment & Wetwork] || [Showdown] || [Strike] || [Vacant]

aicaramba
Past/Inactive Team Member

Post by aicaramba » October 9th, 2008, 2:56 pm

That game takes place near where i live.. (there even is a 'voetpad' dedicated to hells highway running through the street i live in)..
As far as Ive heard.. The cities have been made very nicely (like they wouldve looked), but the coutry sides are nothing what holland looks/used to look like (too green grass, weather is allways good, american style houses...).
Also.. some of the dutch speaking char's in the game have a russian accent instead of dutch. For a game wanting to make a realistic experience, thats not very good tbh.
Not to mention the shitty english/german translations theyve used: Theyre going to finish us/sie sollen uns fertig machen.
Which isnt really something that the elite troups 'fallschirmjager', who fought the battle of arnhem, would have said in the first place.

But I can imagine that brits and americans dont give a damn that this isnt really the 'authentic' holland.

But I think ill give this game a go and download it.
P.S.V. Kampioen!

helium
CJ Spammer!
CJ Spammer!

Post by helium » October 9th, 2008, 4:10 pm

The game is full of bugs, it has VERY stupid AI, and graphics are shit. Also the movement feels weird. But story is really good and deep.

PS: Something else that bothered me was that my shots didn't always register.

5/10 :P

OH BTW I LOVE WHEN IT DOES SLOWMOTION ON HS <3

Nightmare
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Nightmare » October 9th, 2008, 8:18 pm

helium wrote:The game is full of bugs, it has VERY stupid AI, and graphics are shit. Also the movement feels weird. But story is really good and deep.

Obvious idiot above me.

[Ambush] || [Backlot] || [Bloc] || [Bog] || [Broadcast] || [Chinatown] || [Countdown]
[Crash] || [Creek] || [Crossfire] || [District] || [Downpour] || [Killhouse] || [Overgrown]

helium
CJ Spammer!
CJ Spammer!

Post by helium » October 9th, 2008, 9:52 pm

Nightmare wrote:
helium wrote:The game is full of bugs, it has VERY stupid AI, and graphics are shit. Also the movement feels weird. But story is really good and deep.

Obvious idiot above me.
What makes you think that I am an idiot?

aicaramba

Post by aicaramba » October 9th, 2008, 9:56 pm

My guess: Cuz u dont like the game and because the reasons u dont like the game..
Now lets awate nightmare's response :P
P.S.V. Kampioen!

Soviet
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Soviet » October 9th, 2008, 10:30 pm

I have seen no bugs.

The AI is only stupid if you are stupid enough to not know how to command them (I have almost beaten the game and have ever only lost 2 guys. It was my fault.)

The graphics are incredible

The movement is far more realistic than Call of Duty, so it is different, but not weird.

And yes, the story is good.
ImageImageImage

Nightmare
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Nightmare » October 9th, 2008, 10:36 pm

Basically what Soviet said, from what you said, it sounds like you only played it for five minutes max.
I have seen no bugs either, other than the allies getting on the wrong side of cover, but I have only seen that happen twice.

Soviet
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Soviet » October 9th, 2008, 10:40 pm

Another thing I forgot. I started it up for the first time, and I glance down at my G15 LCD to see what is going on with my cpu (it took a while to get to the cutscenes) and the BiA: HH logo is sitting on there. So I was like wow, that's kinda cool...but useless. So I get ingame and I am playing along and I keep on having to pause my game to check objectives. I look down and BAM! The game has built in support for the G15 and shows missions and objectives (and how close you are to completing them) right there. Impressive detail imo.

edit: beat the game, and nm is definitely right about the creepiness of the hospital level. It is kind of like fear, except much better done. Yet, it still feels like it is part of a WW2 fps, which is very hard to do. The artistic design on that level was phenomenal, down to the smoky glass which causes fake movement and a detachment from reality, the odd ambiance which added to the tension, and the random small german patrols that increased the suspense while still keeping the game in reality. A work of art imo.
ImageImageImage

JDogg
Too cool for CoDJumper
Too cool for CoDJumper

Post by JDogg » October 10th, 2008, 6:06 am

The game looks good, I like the idea of controlling your team mates.

helium
CJ Spammer!
CJ Spammer!

Post by helium » October 10th, 2008, 7:37 am

The AI is stupid because they ignore you. I once rushed through the field when I was supposed to get "cover" and they completely ignored me. They just kept running straight forward and ignored me, even when I shot them.

About the movement, yes it is bad. It feels like you're playing a game from 2003.
Not to mention the controls. They're shit as well, but I thought I wouldn't whine about them since they are adjustable.

Something else that sucks is that on the videos, when they talk, their lips barely move, and when they scream it looks so fake because their lips move just as they were whispering.

Also, everything are so edge-ish. The barrels look like squares, and when you crouch and look straight down you can see through your own legs. You can walk through most objects, but only on the very edge of them.
Voiceactors are bad. Weapons are weak, and they use weak sounds. Weapons look like squares as well. The grenades are even worse. They sound as loud as a cat. On the first map I threw a grenade on two germans that were standing behind some barrels chatting (they didn't see me) and they didn't even hear or notice the grenade that blew up 2 ft away from them. Grrreat.

I don't personally hate the game. In fact, I was really excited when it was released, but it was a huge let down for me.

Maybe the game is good for PS3/Xbox then. But whoever says it's good for PC only says it to defend the game. You don't actually think it's that good.

Oh and could someone explain to me why it sprays mud on your screen when you get hit? Even when I am inside.

I'll finish the game completely today (if I don't get too bored) and see if I change my mind which I highly doubt.

Most review sites give it a 5/10 in graphics and most of them also complain that it's full of bugs.

Nightmare
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Nightmare » October 10th, 2008, 7:55 pm

helium wrote:The AI is stupid because they ignore you. I once rushed through the field when I was supposed to get "cover" and they completely ignored me. They just kept running straight forward and ignored me, even when I shot them.

About the movement, yes it is bad. It feels like you're playing a game from 2003.
Not to mention the controls. They're shit as well, but I thought I wouldn't whine about them since they are adjustable.

Something else that sucks is that on the videos, when they talk, their lips barely move, and when they scream it looks so fake because their lips move just as they were whispering.

Also, everything are so edge-ish. The barrels look like squares, and when you crouch and look straight down you can see through your own legs. You can walk through most objects, but only on the very edge of them.
Voiceactors are bad. Weapons are weak, and they use weak sounds. Weapons look like squares as well. The grenades are even worse. They sound as loud as a cat. On the first map I threw a grenade on two germans that were standing behind some barrels chatting (they didn't see me) and they didn't even hear or notice the grenade that blew up 2 ft away from them. Grrreat.

I don't personally hate the game. In fact, I was really excited when it was released, but it was a huge let down for me.

Maybe the game is good for PS3/Xbox then. But whoever says it's good for PC only says it to defend the game. You don't actually think it's that good.

Oh and could someone explain to me why it sprays mud on your screen when you get hit? Even when I am inside.

I'll finish the game completely today (if I don't get too bored) and see if I change my mind which I highly doubt.

Most review sites give it a 5/10 in graphics and most of them also complain that it's full of bugs.
Biggest crap I have ever heard. If you are seeing squares for weapons, I suggest you upgrade your computer; a Commodore 64 won't cut it. I highly disagree with you on the voice acting, I find the voice acting to be spot on, and while the lips do not move as much as they should at times, they are well synced.
Weapons aren't weak, a well placed shot to the head can instantly kill and it takes on average two shots to kill at the body.

Also, I don't know where you are getting review sites saying it's 5/10; Look below
Eurogamer 70%
TeamXbox 81%
Official Xbox Magazine U.S. 90%
Official Xbox Magazine UK 80%
Computer and Video Games 79%
Video Gamer 80%
PC Gamer UK 85%
PSM3 70%
Game Reactor 70%
IGN 76%
X-Play 3/5
Gamespot 85%
XGReviews.com Magazine 8/10
GameTrailers 8.3/10
Gamer.no 8/10
Get your facts straight.

helium
CJ Spammer!
CJ Spammer!

Post by helium » October 10th, 2008, 8:40 pm

helium wrote:The AI is stupid because they ignore you. I once rushed through the field when I was supposed to get "cover" and they completely ignored me. They just kept running straight forward and ignored me, even when I shot them.

Most of those reviews only show overall score, and most of them are either fan-rated or for console, but look at the most popular one's and you'll see that they all say it's got bad graphics and full of bugs. As for the weapons being weak, I mean the sounds of them. And no, I don't need to upgrade my PC. I got a Q6600 @ 2.4 ghz and a Radeon 4870, and it runs the game perfectly smooth on high settings. The weapons do look bad. I'm so sorry, but you just need to accept it. The game itself looks bad as well, I don't know how you can't see it (try getting glasses?). And the lipsyncing is good, I never said it was bad. All I am saying is that they move the lips way too less than they're supposed to. Makes it look dead.

You're almost making a fool out of yourself when you try to defend the game by saying that it's got good graphics. I suggest you take a look at COD4/Crysis/Oblivion/Mass Effect/Gears of War/Half Life/Bioshock/Assassin's Creed/UT3/FEAR/Rainbow Six Vegas 2 etc.

Even COD2 looks better and has better gameplay than BIAHH.

I randomly went on one of those review sites that you mentioned above to see if you put right facts in, and the first and only one I checked you said it was %70, but it was %60.

Gamereactor.se: 6/10

+ The game has many missions, historicly correct
- Screwed up controls, full of bugs, ugly, weird environment

Get your facts right, son.