Maybe kind of weird, IDK...

Chat area specifically for CoDJumper

Moderator: Core Staff

Chucky.
CJ Fan
CJ Fan

Maybe kind of weird, IDK...

Post by Chucky. » July 8th, 2012, 6:43 am

Forget I ever asked. There isn't any reasoning with the Admins.
Last edited by Chucky. on July 11th, 2012, 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Re: Maybe kind of weird, IDK...

Post by Drofder2004 » July 8th, 2012, 9:21 am

If you are unable to see why your maps are no where near as some of the maps on display then I don't think there is much improvement you can make.

I have not 'jumped' any of your maps (I dont jump at all), but I got the impression you were building for OS and not standard.
Maybe 5% of CJ jumpers bother to touch OS maps, only select groups/servers/individuals.
Ignore this point if I am wrong.

Quality of the jumps for the reason above is something I am unable to tell you about, make sure a good jumper (not a self-proclaimed pro, just 'good') tests your jumps. If they are easy for a good jumper, make them a little harder. If they are impossible make them a little easier.
When you have tweaked everything, get a better jumper to test and if the last sections of your map are too eas for them, make them harder (do not touch first section, the first section should be average difficulty to start spreading the better jumpers from the rest).

My advice for the quality of the look of the map would be to finish your map to the point of releasing it. When you are confident you have a working map that you are happy with, stop mapping. Wait at least one-day then reopen the map and this time look at each jump section as "how could this be improved", "what can I add to make this more in theme".

Other things:
- Flat surfaces with repeating textures draw the eye. Break up the surface with objects (e.g painting in a house, structural beams in a tall building, etc).
- Lights should be lights. Do not just add a light to a map, you need to add a light source. Buildings should have bulbs and tunnels could have 'fire' (or bulbs).
- Not every jump must be a broken platform. Use your theme to add jumping objects, such as barrels.
- If you are going to make a brush to bounce on, why not use an object? Place a fence diagonally, but remember something needs to hold the fence up, place a crate behind it, to make it look like the fence has fallen on to the crate.
- Incoporate different jump types, such as jumping around walls, bouncing through holes...

You need to make the map realistic within its own idea. Any map that takes place in normal concept, maybe a factory, school, street, etc should have the feel of what it is. Even if you look at 'Sonic' and 'Portal' by Dan, in Sonic you expect loops and speed and in Portal you expect a series of mechanical looking stuff and a fear of death if you fail (not to mention Portals)

It is the smaller insignificant touches to a map that make it a good map, not the difficuly of a jump.
Virgin Media 20Mb Broadband:
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."
Borked internet since: 22-07-2010

[SoE]_Zaitsev
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by [SoE]_Zaitsev » July 8th, 2012, 12:00 pm

Also, just my opinion. I don't hate on your maps. I also see (Judging by this topic) that you are willing to learn and see what is wrong. Most people lack that. Drofder's advice is one of the best you can get. I'm pretty sure if you spend more time (Yes, even more, and I said it) on your maps, everybody will get to like it eventually. And people do like your maps, not everybody hates them.

But switch to normal mode btw ;)
matt101harris wrote:big cock was the first thing that came to my head lol

Koj
CJ Newbie
CJ Newbie

Post by Koj » July 8th, 2012, 1:46 pm

KillerSam wrote:It's just a matter of planning and design coupled with time.
Try to imagine it as a real location. Anything that breaks from reality (e.g if you have a broken wall with ruble on the ground, make sure that the rubble is the correct amount to fill the damage).
As a rough guide I'd expect that each jump in a themed map will probably take around about an hour to make.

I can only agree both...

Im not the best mapper but 1 to 2 h to build a new bounce whit surroundings is ok maybe 3h

and jeh switch to normal mod.

Chucky.
CJ Fan
CJ Fan

Post by Chucky. » July 8th, 2012, 5:25 pm

Switched to normal mode, I wont make another OS map. I will get another good jumper to test my map and I'll spend more time on each bounce. Thanks...

Koj
CJ Newbie
CJ Newbie

Post by Koj » July 8th, 2012, 7:57 pm

pjchucky wrote:Switched to normal mode, I wont make another OS map. I will get another good jumper to test my map and I'll spend more time on each bounce. Thanks...

Personally I do not need the time to build the areal, but in order to design the way it fits into the overall picture.

S3x! Th1ng
CJ Newbie
CJ Newbie

Post by S3x! Th1ng » July 9th, 2012, 8:22 am

ok well you did not understand my words when talking about your last map map looks good but the gameplay is really too bad crounch jumps and places where people block design folder is ok but the gameplay is not and it's the only reason why your map is not on the eBc server bicose map not fun sry for my englis I hope you understand

Chucky.
CJ Fan
CJ Fan

Post by Chucky. » July 9th, 2012, 10:46 am

S3x! Th1ng wrote:ok well you did not understand my words when talking about your last map map looks good but the gameplay is really too bad crounch jumps and places where people block design folder is ok but the gameplay is not and it's the only reason why your map is not on the eBc server bicose map not fun sry for my englis I hope you understand
I understand, thank you. Though I have no idea why EB maps are on EB server neither :/

No offance.

Vartazian
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by Vartazian » July 9th, 2012, 4:04 pm

As i have said before:

I think that a good formula for a good map is this:

The map design is intuitive - It is easy to see where to go next.
The map is challenging, but not overly difficult.
The map looks nice, and is fun to play because it does not look terrible.
The map provides a sense of accomplishment when beating it - this is partly where your maps suffer
Finally, the map provides the jumper with a good fun time every time he plays it - this is really where pj_sewage suffers.
Not trying to be rude, but it is just not fun to play a map where there are 5 crouch jumps in a row, every bounce you hit the ceiling on due to a ceiling being so low, some bounces are too close, there is unnecessary rubble blocking the way, the map is bad for blocking in general.. etc..You have to think.. on a server with 18 people, what will happen? This is why i create multiple paths even in each difficulty of my maps because in the beginning, people need something where there is enough space for 18 ppl to get through reasonably. Having platforms on either side for a landing that are identical is my solution to this problem.. Then further down the map.. maybe 2-4 minutes worth of jumping, you can start to make the path more defined with smaller platforms etc...

Chucky.
CJ Fan
CJ Fan

Post by Chucky. » July 9th, 2012, 4:11 pm

Vartazian wrote:As i have said before:

I think that a good formula for a good map is this:

The map design is intuitive - It is easy to see where to go next.
The map is challenging, but not overly difficult.
The map looks nice, and is fun to play because it does not look terrible.
The map provides a sense of accomplishment when beating it - this is partly where your maps suffer
Finally, the map provides the jumper with a good fun time every time he plays it - this is really where pj_sewage suffers.
Not trying to be rude, but it is just not fun to play a map where there are 5 crouch jumps in a row, every bounce you hit the ceiling on due to a ceiling being so low, some bounces are too close, there is unnecessary rubble blocking the way, the map is bad for blocking in general.. etc..You have to think.. on a server with 18 people, what will happen? This is why i create multiple paths even in each difficulty of my maps because in the beginning, people need something where there is enough space for 18 ppl to get through reasonably. Having platforms on either side for a landing that are identical is my solution to this problem.. Then further down the map.. maybe 2-4 minutes worth of jumping, you can start to make the path more defined with smaller platforms etc...
Thanks for the ideas, I will try and improve. I don't know why people hate floating platforms and love a good theme on every single map.

I mean to_the_moon has floating platforms and no theme but people love it -_-

[SoE]_Zaitsev
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by [SoE]_Zaitsev » July 9th, 2012, 4:50 pm

And that is what I posted in your big thread a while ago. If you download a custom map you see a screenshot. Does it look good? You download it. If it looks bad, you simply ignore it. The looks have to pull you in. Platform maps don't pull me in as maps like Portal, Sonic or Windsor. And yes, Sonic is a platform map, but it's themed like the very first ever Sonic game. It's unique, and it's simply looking awesome, and the difficulty is high.
matt101harris wrote:big cock was the first thing that came to my head lol

Chucky.
CJ Fan
CJ Fan

Post by Chucky. » July 9th, 2012, 5:12 pm

[SoE]_Zaitsev wrote:And that is what I posted in your big thread a while ago. If you download a custom map you see a screenshot. Does it look good? You download it. If it looks bad, you simply ignore it. The looks have to pull you in. Platform maps don't pull me in as maps like Portal, Sonic or Windsor. And yes, Sonic is a platform map, but it's themed like the very first ever Sonic game. It's unique, and it's simply looking awesome, and the difficulty is high.
Sonic looks good but the paltforms haven't been made correctly. The sides on the platform (to make it fit with the theme) are half a unit or more out fo place = can't strafe at all on the map. If the platforms was made properly, the map wouldn't be so hard. I'm not trying to offend Dan, but it's true...

Rezil
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Rezil » July 9th, 2012, 5:17 pm

pjchucky wrote:Sonic looks good but the paltforms haven't been made correctly. The sides on the platform (to make it fit with the theme) are half a unit or more out fo place = can't strafe at all on the map. If the platforms was made properly, the map wouldn't be so hard. I'm not trying to offend Dan, but it's true...
The platforms were probably done that way for a reason. You're missing the point, the first thing anyone is going to notice about your map is the visuals. When you post it on any site you provide screenshots so that people can see what your map looks like. The better it looks, the more likely they are to download and play your map.
Drofder2004: Drofder's rules for reviewing a map
[...]
#5 If your name is Rezil, minimum 5/5.
---
<LT>YosemiteSam[NL]:
I heard somewhere that the best way to start is juggling 2 balls with one hand, so you will get a feel for it.

Chucky.
CJ Fan
CJ Fan

Post by Chucky. » July 9th, 2012, 5:24 pm

Rezil wrote:
pjchucky wrote:Sonic looks good but the paltforms haven't been made correctly. The sides on the platform (to make it fit with the theme) are half a unit or more out fo place = can't strafe at all on the map. If the platforms was made properly, the map wouldn't be so hard. I'm not trying to offend Dan, but it's true...
The platforms were probably done that way for a reason. You're missing the point, the first thing anyone is going to notice about your map is the visuals. When you post it on any site you provide screenshots so that people can see what your map looks like. The better it looks, the more likely they are to download and play your map.
I know the point. A good theme is probably 60% of a map. All I'm saying is, all these good themed maps have low difficulty. Sonic with correctly made platforms = easy. portal = easy, windsor = medium.

Anyways, I think I get the idea, a good theme is what counts & difficulty is an important step also. I will create this last map as I've already created some of it then I wont make anymore. I'll just CJ from time to time as it's nearly diying anyways.

Vartazian
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by Vartazian » July 9th, 2012, 6:10 pm

pjchucky wrote: I mean to_the_moon has floating platforms and no theme but people love it -_-
Well did i ever say anything about no floating platforms? no. i simply said that one of the criteria is that the map "looks good." Imo mptothemoon fullfills this by using colorful textures and having rooms that are not bland, but add at to the map - which makes it less of a floating platform map - even though it still is - its just a good looking one with jumps that many people seem to like.