Best Headset for PC soundwhoring?

General chat area for anything whatsoever

Moderator: Core Staff

F |Shifty| U
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Best Headset for PC soundwhoring?

Post by F |Shifty| U » January 15th, 2012, 12:39 am

Hey guys, I'm considering investing in a headset to make my gaming experience that much more enjoyable. I'm on kinda a tight budget, but all suggestions will be greatly appreciated and will aid my decision. So far I'm leaning towards the fatal1ty gaming headset, seems very reasonable for the price listed, even if it is old. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Creative-Fatal1 ... 164&sr=8-1

Thanks in advance, Shifty :)

F |Shifty| U
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Re: Best Headset for PC soundwhoring?

Post by F |Shifty| U » January 15th, 2012, 12:53 am

Hmm, have looked at them but they are a little out of my price range, for now.

Specifically what were the problems with the fatality headset?

Thanks again :)

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » January 15th, 2012, 2:22 am

F |Shifty| U wrote:Specifically what were the problems with the fatality headset?
The main problem is that they are just shit.

Razer Carcharias Gaming Headset, same price range as G35
Virgin Media 20Mb Broadband:
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."
Borked internet since: 22-07-2010

IzNoGoD
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by IzNoGoD » January 15th, 2012, 2:58 am

Fatality might feel cheap, but price vs sound is unbeaten. For that price you won't get any better sound.
LMGTFY!

Its not a glitch... Its the future!

B4.
CJ Newbie
CJ Newbie

Post by B4. » January 15th, 2012, 9:38 am

If price is limited, most of the internet chat will do like "live chat"

Next step up would be the G35 as they have a build in sound card. (Any USB set will run off the motherboard sound or have its own sound card built in.)

Around the top would be the gaming sound cards (SoundBlaster Champion Series, etc.) and maybe PC350-PC360, or any of the Professional Gaming Series headphones.

If your on-board sound is quiet good then a good headset is all you may need to sound whore. But good sound whoring is keeping quiet enough yourself to hear others.

Things to watch are comfort as you can be wearing them for hours at a time, and how good they block that background noise (nagging misses or noisy family) as you don’t want to miss that player sneaking up on you as some1 is yelling at you from another room.

Most of this is dependent on how deep your pockets are.

OwenH96
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by OwenH96 » January 19th, 2012, 9:42 pm

I have also been looking into getting a headset but trust me its either 5.1 surround sound or nothing imo.

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » January 19th, 2012, 11:41 pm

OwenH96 wrote:I have also been looking into getting a headset but trust me its either 5.1 surround sound or nothing imo.
I have had both 5.1 and 2.1. There is very little, to no difference in the quality of surround provided imo.
I loved my Medusa sets (had two) and now I love my Razer...
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."

zrReaperr
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe
PSN ID: ryebread4

Post by zrReaperr » January 20th, 2012, 3:05 am

i have that exact headset, bought it around a year ago. Halfway through the year the mic jack in the headset stopped working. Had to get a 3.5mm extension and plug it into my PC then hot glue the mic on! xD It's still working. I upgraded to Tritton 5.1's so my brother is using them now.

The sound quality is decent for the price. But it feels REALLY cheap. Its almost like a toy because of the quality of the plastic. They are uncomfortable after about 30 minutes of wearing them.

Made an account just because i saw this haha

*Edit*
Drofder2004 wrote:I have had both 5.1 and 2.1. There is very little, to no difference in the quality of surround provided imo.
I loved my Medusa sets (had two) and now I love my Razer...
There is a HUGE difference with the 5.1 i just got compared to stereo.
You can know the exact point on the map the person is once you get used to them. If you are planning to play just normal servers and not S&D or promod. There really isnt a difference since its just people spraying everywhere around the map.

Sonic
PC Team
PC Team

Post by Sonic » January 20th, 2012, 3:25 am

zrReaperr wrote:Made an account just because i saw this haha
zrReaperr wrote:There is a HUGE difference with the 5.1 i just got compared to stereo.
You can know the exact point on the map the person is once you get used to them. If you are planning to play just normal servers and not S&D or promod. There really isnt a difference since its just people spraying everywhere around the map.
First of all, welcome to the forums lol.

And I agree on the diffrence between 5.1 and Stereo.

But I'm pretty sure to expierence the REAL diffrence between 5.1 and Stereo is when you have a soundcard which supports 5.1. Which most onboard soundcards don't, atleast, that's what I believe but I could be wrong. :).

On to the topic about the headset..

I think you should do some research, check some reviews of headsets and be sure to look for a headset which is comfortable, which is the most important imo. Honestly, I've tried ALOT of gaming headsets and I havn't had one which is 100% perfect or even close to it. Besides gaming and stuff I dj, and also got headphones for that, which I've been using for gaming too lately (lol). And imo these are even better than any gaming headset I've had so far (Sony MDR-XB700 - FYI :)).

But anyway, since everyone will suggest another headset, just do some research, check reviews etc. And see what fits YOU best.

Goodluck 8)

zrReaperr
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe
PSN ID: ryebread4

Post by zrReaperr » January 20th, 2012, 4:14 am

SonicCJ wrote:First of all, welcome to the forums lol.

And I agree on the diffrence between 5.1 and Stereo.

But I'm pretty sure to expierence the REAL diffrence between 5.1 and Stereo is when you have a soundcard which supports 5.1. Which most onboard soundcards don't, atleast, that's what I believe but I could be wrong. :).
Ty =)
And, I was talking about True 5.1 with a soundcard (or onboard if it has a good 5.1 chip like mine has), not virtual 5.1 with usb.

But i cant really suggest another headset besides the Tritton, because this is all i've had.
Good luck with finding one. Dont believe ALL reviews you see, because some people have never used another headset besides that one...so they can't really compare it to anything so they just think its amazing compared to shitty headphones or speakers xD

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » January 20th, 2012, 8:32 pm

I was using true 5.1 before and I now use 2.1 and I have not found any difference in the the '3D' effect. I do not play slow paced games, mostly TF2... but I still do not have any problem with direction, even with multiple different sounds going off.

matt101harris
PC Team
PC Team

Post by matt101harris » January 20th, 2012, 10:32 pm

Well im best player in cod4... and i use a senheiser pc360... So GET IT!!!!
PeЧĐuĐe@CoDJumper.com: put your cock away, you sick man
Matty@CoDJumper.com: hahaha
PeЧĐuĐe@CoDJumper.com: (while i whip mine out)
Matty@CoDJumper.com: lol
PeЧĐuĐe@CoDJumper.com: just kidding
PeЧĐuĐe@CoDJumper.com: ... i don't have one :(

BatterY
CJ Worshipper
CJ Worshipper

Post by BatterY » January 21st, 2012, 12:48 pm

I've had the Fatal1ty headset for about half a year now and I think everything in it is worth the money. Minus comfort. It really starts to feel uncomfortable after 3-4 hours of gaming and I need to constantly take them off for 5-10 mins because they start to hurt my ears. If your money is very limited, then go for fatal1ty, otherwise look for better headsets.

Hoogie
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Hoogie » January 21st, 2012, 1:32 pm

I really like the Siberia v2. It all comes down to personal preference tho.
-=[[CoDJumper.com Movies]]=-
[[Ambush]] || [[Backlot]] || [[Bloc]] || [[Bog]] || [[Broadcast]] || [[Chinatown]] || [[Countdown]]
[[Crash]] || [[Creek]] || [[Crossfire]] || [[District]] || [[Downpour]] || [[Killhouse]] || [[Overgrown]]
[[Pipeline]] || [[Shipment & Wetwork]] || [[Showdown]] || [[Strike]] || [[Vacant]]

A woman can fake an orgasm, but a man can fake an entire relationship

JDogg
Too cool for CoDJumper
Too cool for CoDJumper

Post by JDogg » February 8th, 2012, 1:39 am

KillerSam wrote:The fatality just generally felt very cheap e.t.c - nothing nice about it to be honest.

It's worth investing in a decent headset. There are some reasonable ones for around £40 if you look around. That's about the lowest price point for something decent I'd say.
I have 2 fatality headsets. I have to admit I think they're pretty decent for the price, the sound quality is good and the mic isn't too bad. Eventually I got sick of the wires and bought a Plantronics Audio .995, now I can keep chatting away while I go downstairs to make a sandwich :P