Card temperatures

Have a question you need to ask? Need help? Ask here!

Moderator: Core Staff

t1pz
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Card temperatures

Post by t1pz » January 2nd, 2012, 7:01 pm

I recently bought a computer and the graphics card is the radeon 5850.

Now as I'm new to all the hardware sort of stuff, I don't want to be doing anything I shouldn't.

I need to know what's a stable temperature and when to worry about it. I've been monitoring it whilst playing cod4 and the first and second day I started to play it it used to average about 60 degrees, now it's between 60-68.

The cooling in the case isn't major but there's a few fans, and put a normal fan sitting outside the case which is an attempt to cool it some more. I thought this would just blow the hot air back into the case but there's plenty of space for the air to escape. (Holes on both sides to it is blown through).

I've also read that it is completely normal for a graphics card to reach temperatures of 90-95 degrees without worrying at all, but I'm a little worried now as I've never had a proper gaming computer before.

When I'm not playing any games, just on the internet or something, the card will average between 30-40.

Obviously the more powerful the card, the higher temperatures it will reach but could someone tell me when I should start to worry for the radeon 5850, and what I can do to prevent any damage.

Thanks in advance

t1pz
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Re: Card temperatures

Post by t1pz » January 2nd, 2012, 7:24 pm

KillerSam wrote:Just try to keep it as low as you can. If it's regularly in the 90's when gaming I'd look at improving your cooling and perhaps the fan speed on the card.

Personally when I play bf3 (with a GTX 275) my card will touch 109 degrees when I leave the graphics cooling at standard. I have to increase the fan speed, which will then keep hte card in the 70's mid game. And my case is pretty well cooled. That's a guide for you :)
Yeah I'm trying to keep it low as possible and I can't really do any customising until the end of January, then I can add more fans and possibly some watercooling.

The card is no where near 90 degrees yet, hasn't even touched 70 playing cod4 atm.

Also, increasing the fan speed on the card, I heard it reduces the lifetime of it. If the fan wears out can it be replace or would I have to buy a new graphics card altogether?

Thanks

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » January 3rd, 2012, 12:37 am

Bit of research: The 5850 is designed to run at around 40C idle and 72C under load.
The card can happily run at 85C.

You have nothing to worry about, card and temp is fine.
Virgin Media 20Mb Broadband:
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."
Borked internet since: 22-07-2010

t1pz
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by t1pz » January 3rd, 2012, 6:50 am

Drofder2004 wrote:Bit of research: The 5850 is designed to run at around 40C idle and 72C under load.
The card can happily run at 85C.

You have nothing to worry about, card and temp is fine.
Thanks.