STRAFE JUMPING HELP

Have a question you need to ask? Need help? Ask here!

Moderator: Core Staff

pedda
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by pedda » March 24th, 2006, 9:05 pm

Man ! how are you guys doing this? i have watched the demos and ... shall i u run, turn left/right (mouse) at the same time u move left/right (default buttons) and jump... ? .. but when im shall move left or right with the buttom, shall i hold Down W and A for exaple ?... or should i only press down A ?

Soviet
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Soviet » March 24th, 2006, 10:16 pm

it depends only upon your style in truth. For example, me and luke jump totally differently, yet the strafe jump still works for both of us (even though he is friggin fifty times better than me...hacker). If you curve to the left then you will press a and vice versa. i personally press a right before i jump and hold in throughout my jump.
ImageImageImage
"Zaitsev is a cunt." - Pedsdude

the00cheat
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by the00cheat » March 25th, 2006, 5:54 am

Despite the lack of assistance... I've managed to get a strafe jump technique that is, in my opinon, fairly decent. Yet, I still find myself unable to make the impressive jumps, like those of the demos. Is there some sort of secret to making the lengthy jumps like on "Toujane"? Because I seem to be getting really close, but I just do not have the height to get my feet up. Could it just be that I am compeltely incappable of making these jumps because my FPS are too low (I run 125)? Any help would be appreciated.

And please tell me if I need to clarify anything. I tried to be as precise as possible.

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » March 25th, 2006, 2:48 pm

Most jumps can be done with 125, but some that require more height require 333.

The secret to being able to make "impressive jumps" is to practice. Just because the demo shows the person doing the jump first time, doesnt mean that was their first attempt. In many cases, people can record demos a ton of times, I remember recording the nade jump on to the mayors house chiney about 50+ times. At the time the jump for me was extremely hard but persistence paid off.

:)
Virgin Media 20Mb Broadband:
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."
Borked internet since: 22-07-2010

Soviet
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Soviet » March 26th, 2006, 5:22 am

basically, practice forever. Many people spend over an hour jumping every day to get to the level they are at.
ImageImageImage
"Zaitsev is a cunt." - Pedsdude

the00cheat
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by the00cheat » April 1st, 2006, 5:11 am

Ah, I see. I'll just keep up the practice. Thanks.

Nightmare
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Nightmare » April 1st, 2006, 6:22 am

I've been jumping for half a year and I still suck :P
Coding is Poetry. Mapping is Art.
"Cause im the sexiest mapper ever...except for nm, that sexy man" - Soviet

-=[CoDJumper.com Movies]=-
[Ambush] || [Backlot] || [Bloc] || [Bog] || [Broadcast] || [Chinatown] || [Countdown]
[Crash] || [Creek] || [Crossfire] || [District] || [Downpour] || [Killhouse] || [Overgrown]
[Pipeline] || [Shipment & Wetwork] || [Showdown] || [Strike] || [Vacant]

ODD
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by ODD » April 8th, 2006, 11:51 pm

Basically, as 9mm explained to me... You stand at an angle of your target, preferably 45 degrees for beginners. Then run at an angle, turn at the last minute and jump, the strafe key you hold in depends on the direction of the angle. If you're looking right then hold in left, if you're looking left then hold in right.
I've taken a technique from my friend weEzy. Basically, all strafe jumps must consist of holding a strafe key, and running at any angle at some point in time. His technique - which seems to be easier because you can stand anywhere you want - is to turn at your angle when you start running, then turn straight and jump, while holding in the appropriate strafe key.

dhflaj
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Re:

Post by dhflaj » March 24th, 2008, 12:59 am

KalDran? wrote:when I strafejump I run, jump and in the air I continue to hold W, I flip my mouse to the right and add A, turn a bit further with my mouse, release W, and press S :D
you JUMP and then you start moving the mouse and pressing different keys and whatever? and is jumping SUPPOSED to look like that? you jump and in the air and in the air you do all the stuff? does it change anything? sounds extremely unconvincing to me.

[SoE]_Zaitsev
Core Staff
Core Staff

Re: STRAFE JUMPING HELP

Post by [SoE]_Zaitsev » March 24th, 2008, 1:37 am

You flick your mouse first followed by a jump.
matt101harris wrote:big cock was the first thing that came to my head lol

aicaramba
Past/Inactive Team Member

Re:

Post by aicaramba » March 24th, 2008, 10:38 am

ODD wrote:Basically, as 9mm explained to me... You stand at an angle of your target, preferably 45 degrees for beginners. Then run at an angle, turn at the last minute and jump, the strafe key you hold in depends on the direction of the angle. If you're looking right then hold in left, if you're looking left then hold in right.
I've taken a technique from my friend weEzy. Basically, all strafe jumps must consist of holding a strafe key, and running at any angle at some point in time. His technique - which seems to be easier because you can stand anywhere you want - is to turn at your angle when you start running, then turn straight and jump, while holding in the appropriate strafe key.
That is basicly the old way of strafejump. Standing at 90 degrees and not flick, but turn your mouse instead. is the new way. Hold the strafekey from the moment you start turning, till the moment u land.
The thing most ppl do wrong is the mouse flicking, you need to turn your mouse fast, but not uncontrollable. Especially the last thing is what is done wrong by most players. Turn as fast as it is possible for you to make a smooth, controlled turn.
P.S.V. Kampioen!

dhflaj
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by dhflaj » March 24th, 2008, 11:28 am

and does flicking the mouse ONLY, without pressing A or D help? because i did a few jumps from exactly the same place, with flicking and without and it seemed that the dictance i reached was the same.

aicaramba

Post by aicaramba » March 24th, 2008, 12:11 pm

dhflaj wrote:and does flicking the mouse ONLY, without pressing A or D help? because i did a few jumps from exactly the same place, with flicking and without and it seemed that the dictance i reached was the same.
It does work, but u have to turn further as you would when pressing a strafekey.
It works nearly as good as strafejump with strafekeys, but as far as I know, it isnt as quick and does not work with 250/333 fps aswell as with strafekeys.
P.S.V. Kampioen!

mostwant3d
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by mostwant3d » July 21st, 2008, 10:23 pm

i need help ^^
i want to work on my jumps...

+ the keys
all say the keys but everybody have them differently at their computers..
when we strafe we use a / d (doesn't turn only move to the direction) or left / right arrows (turn the body)?

+ combination
at post their is stated you also need a mouse action / movement that i do not really understand :P

+ ftps
what are these?
how do i change them? (i know this is already answered but the links are broken)
changing them will affect my computer?
can it be harmed?

+ maps / servers
are there any servers for me to practice?
which map do you think is the best to start with?

+ version
my version is Call of duty 2 x 1.3. i have seen some videos at youtube and various places and some ppl comment these are not suitable for this version.. do you think switching to an older would be better?

pff i asked a lot but i really wanna strafe jump :P

[SoE]_Zaitsev
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by [SoE]_Zaitsev » July 21st, 2008, 11:04 pm

The CoD2 servers should be patch 1.3 though. And there's a cool no-hurt mod which removes all death triggers :)
matt101harris wrote:big cock was the first thing that came to my head lol