Help with recording cinematics [COD4]

Have a question you need to ask? Need help? Ask here!

Moderator: Core Staff

Sky
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Help with recording cinematics [COD4]

Post by Sky » January 4th, 2014, 3:54 am

Thank goodness!

I've been looking all over for an active Call of Duty forum that doesn't just deal with the more recent games.

So, on to my topic; I've been trying to figure out CoDTV and demo recording and console commands and whatnot as I just want to record some clean cinematics for a COD4 montage I'm working on. However, I've run into an issues that completely cripples my hopes of doing this.

When I use CoDTV, everything works fine and I know the whole process apart from one thing: whenever a USMC or SAS character is onscreen, an SAS badge appears above their head. I have NO idea how to get rid of this and had a trawl through the common console commands. I've already used cg_draw2d to get rid of the other stuff, I tried cg_draw3dicons (I think that's what it's called) but it was already set to 0. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening or how I can rectify it?

x0ozero0x
PS3 Team
PS3 Team
PSN ID: x0ozero0x

Re: Help with recording cinematics [COD4]

Post by x0ozero0x » January 4th, 2014, 5:44 pm

I'm not sure if any of these will solve your problem but this is all I could find:
seta cg_drawFriendlyNames 0 // show friendly names

seta cg_enemyNameFadeIn 0

seta cg_enemyNameFadeOut 0

seta cg_overheadIconSize 0

seta cg_overheadNamesGlow "0 0 0 0"

seta cg_overheadNamesMaxDist "0"

seta cg_overheadNamesSize 0

seta cg_overheadRankSize 0

seta cg_scoreboardRankFontScale 0

seta arcademode 0 // avoid annoying points over head

seta arcademode_full 0 // avoid annoying points over head
Most of them sound irrelevant.

Also
scr_drawfriend 0
Which I'm not even sure is a command.

Drofder2004
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Drofder2004 » January 4th, 2014, 6:22 pm

x0ozero0x wrote:

Code: Select all

scr_drawfriend 0
Which I'm not even sure is a command.
Not only is this a command, but it the command that removes (or adds) icons above player heads.
Virgin Media 20Mb Broadband:
"Perfect for families going online at the same time, downloading movies, online gaming and more."
Borked internet since: 22-07-2010

Sky
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by Sky » January 5th, 2014, 1:27 pm

Awesome! Thanks so much guys!

I did have one other issue that I meant to include in the OP but couldn't quite remember, but I remembered it today. I'm trying to use "mod warfare" that kind of default mod that unlocks everything or something to view the demos I've recorded (so that I get default graphics and whatnot, promod seems to get rid of a lot of particle effects like rain, etc). The problem is, '/cg_draw2d 0' doesn't work and I have the map and stuff on screen.

The value won't change from 1 for some reason. Any ideas?

Mooselflies
CJ Spammer!
CJ Spammer!
PSN ID: mooselflies

Post by Mooselflies » January 5th, 2014, 3:09 pm

Before opening the demo file use the command : /devmap mp_Crash;disconnect then open up the demo after then you should be able to use cg_draw2d 0.

Sky
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by Sky » January 6th, 2014, 1:37 pm

It works!

You guys are legends! Thank you so much, I have just been agonising over this for weeks.

Again, thanks a bunch!

EDIT: I'm sorry, just ONE more thing. I seem to be having this inconsistent blood issue when I go to record. I've got "show blood" set to on and I've played around with setting the /blood to 1 and /com_blood to 1 as well (not really sure what each does). However for some reason, on the first shot or two, blood will show up, but it doesn't show up after that.

Pedsdude
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pedsdude » January 6th, 2014, 6:06 pm

Sky wrote:EDIT: I'm sorry, just ONE more thing. I seem to be having this inconsistent blood issue when I go to record. I've got "show blood" set to on and I've played around with setting the /blood to 1 and /com_blood to 1 as well (not really sure what each does). However for some reason, on the first shot or two, blood will show up, but it doesn't show up after that.
That suggests to me that the value is reverting to '0' on its own. Try binding them to a key, e.g. /bind K "blood 1;com_blood 1", running a demo and pressing the bind frequently.

Assuming the above works, you may just have to press the bind every so often to make sure it's on during the important bits. For convenience, you could bind it to the mousewheel.

Sky
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by Sky » January 7th, 2014, 2:24 pm

Pedsdude wrote:
Sky wrote:EDIT: I'm sorry, just ONE more thing. I seem to be having this inconsistent blood issue when I go to record. I've got "show blood" set to on and I've played around with setting the /blood to 1 and /com_blood to 1 as well (not really sure what each does). However for some reason, on the first shot or two, blood will show up, but it doesn't show up after that.
That suggests to me that the value is reverting to '0' on its own. Try binding them to a key, e.g. /bind K "blood 1;com_blood 1", running a demo and pressing the bind frequently.

Assuming the above works, you may just have to press the bind every so often to make sure it's on during the important bits. For convenience, you could bind it to the mousewheel.
I did a few tests and I checked the numbers frequently but they didn't seem to be jumping back to 0, so I'm still not sure what's going on there.

However, I kind of half fixed it. I think I can only render blood in non-codtv/promod games and particle effects need to be on. I noticed when the rain seemed to be these large white sheets as opposed to the usual particle effect, the blood did not show up. However, when the particle effect is actually working (on the recording version of the game that's open) the blood seemed to show.

I'm still not quite sure what toggled the rain like this, but it seemed to be fixed after a combination of starting a new server, backing out, then starting a new server with /devmap.

I'm starting to think it's because I'm using the Mac port of this game that there are some bugs here and there, but I think I've got it to the point where I can get the cinematics I want.

Again thank you so much you guys, I would have gotten nowhere with this without your help!

[SoE]_Zaitsev
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by [SoE]_Zaitsev » January 7th, 2014, 2:25 pm

What exactly is it that you are making? Doesn't sound like a normal shooting showcase to me.
matt101harris wrote:big cock was the first thing that came to my head lol

Sky
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by Sky » January 7th, 2014, 2:58 pm

[SoE]_Zaitsev wrote:What exactly is it that you are making? Doesn't sound like a normal shooting showcase to me.
Oh it's just a montage for youtube. I just really enjoy editing CoD4 and until now I've only had it on console, but PC seemed to have so much more freedom with cinematics (which it undoubtedly does).

Oh and last thing I promise, and it should be a simple one but I've googled it to death and found nothing, but… how do you switch to third person spectating mode or preferably, is there an option in CODTV to lock the camera to a player?

Pedsdude
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pedsdude » January 7th, 2014, 9:52 pm

Sky wrote:how do you switch to third person spectating mode or preferably, is there an option in CODTV to lock the camera to a player?
I haven't used CODTV, so I can't comment on that.

To get 3rd person view, use: /cg_thirdPerson (0 = off, 1 = on)
You can also change the angle: /cg_thirdPersonAngle (values from 0 to 360)
And the distance: /cg_thirdPersonRange (not sure on range of this one, maybe 0 to 1000)

There are various scripts online for binds which alternate the angle to create a circling effect (i.e. changing the cg_thirdPersonAngle value through a range from 0 to 360 in intervals), although personally I would keep this effect to a minimum as it is often overused in videos.

All the above commands require cheats to be enabled (devmap).

Sky
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by Sky » January 8th, 2014, 2:31 am

Pedsdude wrote: I haven't used CODTV, so I can't comment on that.

To get 3rd person view, use: /cg_thirdPerson (0 = off, 1 = on)
You can also change the angle: /cg_thirdPersonAngle (values from 0 to 360)
And the distance: /cg_thirdPersonRange (not sure on range of this one, maybe 0 to 1000)

There are various scripts online for binds which alternate the angle to create a circling effect (i.e. changing the cg_thirdPersonAngle value through a range from 0 to 360 in intervals), although personally I would keep this effect to a minimum as it is often overused in videos.

All the above commands require cheats to be enabled (devmap).
Yeah that's exactly what I was looking for. I did try the third person commands but I really needed that ability to do the circling effect.

And don't worry, I have seen it myself in frag movies but my idea is a close-but-wide-angle shot around the upper chest area of a character, while he's jumping, in about half to a quarter speed. The idea at the moment is to animate in some grungy hand-drawn typography over top but I've gotta see how it looks first.

I'll have a look around for one of those scripts, thanks!

And by the way, I'll post the vid here when it's done if you guys are interested, I'm pretty happy with the flow I've got going.

EDIT: Is this one of the scripts? https://bitbucket.org/dan2k3k4/bp-cod4/ ... at=default

Pedsdude
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pedsdude » January 8th, 2014, 2:24 pm

Sky wrote:EDIT: Is this one of the scripts? https://bitbucket.org/dan2k3k4/bp-cod4/ ... at=default
Nope, and in fact that's from someone who is/was in our community :P

The closest I could find from a quick search is this:
bind F7 "toggle cg_thirdpersonangle 0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 110 120 130 140 150 160 170 180 190 200 210 220 230 240 250 260 270 280 290 300 310 320 330 340 350"
bind F8 "toggle cg_thirdpersonangle 350 340 330 320 310 300 290 280 270 260 250 240 230 220 210 200 190 180 170 160 150 140 130 120 110 90 80 70 60 50 40 30 20 10 0"

(Source: http://cfgfactory.com/skins/show/4d60e13a5c630)

You would hold down F7 or F8 for the rotation to occur. Unfortunately though, it's a bind and not a script, so you would have to be pretty accurate with when you let go of the key if you want it to stop exactly at 0 degrees again. Other than that you would have to make a script.

---

Here's a quick attempt I've made at a script, not tested it though, so it could be completely wrong:
http://www.codjumper.com/peds/spin_script.php

You'll want to put that in your config_mp.cfg, and then add a bind:
/bind <key> vstr spin1

Sky
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by Sky » January 21st, 2014, 8:37 am

Pedsdude wrote:
Sky wrote:EDIT: Is this one of the scripts? https://bitbucket.org/dan2k3k4/bp-cod4/ ... at=default
Nope, and in fact that's from someone who is/was in our community :P

The closest I could find from a quick search is this:
bind F7 "toggle cg_thirdpersonangle 0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 110 120 130 140 150 160 170 180 190 200 210 220 230 240 250 260 270 280 290 300 310 320 330 340 350"
bind F8 "toggle cg_thirdpersonangle 350 340 330 320 310 300 290 280 270 260 250 240 230 220 210 200 190 180 170 160 150 140 130 120 110 90 80 70 60 50 40 30 20 10 0"

(Source: http://cfgfactory.com/skins/show/4d60e13a5c630)

You would hold down F7 or F8 for the rotation to occur. Unfortunately though, it's a bind and not a script, so you would have to be pretty accurate with when you let go of the key if you want it to stop exactly at 0 degrees again. Other than that you would have to make a script.

---

Here's a quick attempt I've made at a script, not tested it though, so it could be completely wrong:
http://www.codjumper.com/peds/spin_script.php

You'll want to put that in your config_mp.cfg, and then add a bind:
/bind <key> vstr spin1
Woops, got so busy I forgot about this thread.

Awesome!

I'd be more inclined to use binds than scripts, but does the bind move the camera in increments of 10 degrees? Or does it move it smoothly between those increments?

And thank you for making that script, I'll have to give it a try!

Pedsdude
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pedsdude » January 21st, 2014, 7:19 pm

Sky wrote:I'd be more inclined to use binds than scripts, but does the bind move the camera in increments of 10 degrees? Or does it move it smoothly between those increments?
If you press the key once, it will move once. If you hold the key, it will continue to move until you let go.

I'm fairly sure it's immediate rather than smooth, but if you're doing it quite fast and at 10 degree intervals then I would be surprised if it didn't look smooth anyway. You could always drop the angle increment down until you're satisfied.

As I say, the script would be a better bet if you want it to end up at a specific angle at the end rather than holding the key, letting go, and missing the point at which you wanted it to stop. Also, I made the script at 1 degree intervals, so it should be perfectly smooth.