Sprint with crouching to move better ingame (PC)

Have a question you need to ask? Need help? Ask here!

Moderator: Core Staff

Vice01
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Sprint with crouching to move better ingame (PC)

Post by Vice01 » October 29th, 2014, 1:40 pm

Hey guys,

First of all, I was a bad cod4 promod player and not good at all. I think many people have the problem the move correctly in games like call of duty. However, I think having good movement is really imprtant to be faster, to get not as hitable as amateurs and these things. The only thing I've ever learned was strafing and the usage of strafes for example strafing pastthe corners and something like this. But I've just watched this video of you guys:

If you look at the first 3 seconds you can see that he's sprinting + crouching. I think he isn't using the "Shift spamming" to run faster, he is crouching I guess. If I am wrong, please correct me.

It's like I don't understand how to move and it looks like this. When have I to move with my mouse and when have I to crouch? I tried it a lot of times and I don't get the right timing. Any suggestions?:)

regards

Pedsdude
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Sprint with crouching to move better ingame (PC)

Post by Pedsdude » October 30th, 2014, 11:31 am

You can only sprint for a certain amount of time before the character has to stop sprinting for a short while. By crouching, you're effectively 'resting' the character. So if you've got to run a medium distance before a jump, you don't want the character to suddenly stop running just before you're about to jump.

I frequently use this on the Stevy spot on Strike:

I couldn't quickly find a video where the person does it all in one motion, but imagine that the person does the jump without stopping. It is not possible to sprint from the spawn point, all the way to that spot and do the jump without slowing down at some point, so I tend to crouch a few times just over half way there, to 'reset' my sprint. This means that when I go to do the jump, I've got more sprint time and am not likely to slow down suddenly just before the jump.

Just to reiterate, crouching does not set your sprint back to full. It merely buys you slightly more sprint time, because you're not sprinting while you're crouching. You often see people crouching a lot in CJ videos before they attempt a jump - this doesn't actually have an effect (as far as I know) if you're not moving in the first place - people tend to do it out of habit or a false belief.

This is my interpretation of it. It could be used differently by different people, so I welcome any comments anyone else may have on the matter.

Vice01
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by Vice01 » November 2nd, 2014, 4:40 pm

Wow, thanks for this long answer. :) So this is the usage of doing this. Ye, this would be annoying if your character has to stop while you want to jump. So as you already said: Doing this doesn't have any effect, but in the video I posted, it looks pretty cool :D Maybe this is why it is often used while walking long ways. The only way I know to move faster is like spamming the shift key as fast as you can. This will actually make you a little bit faster.

But back to the video I posted in my first post. Hot to move exactly like him? Do you have any suggestion when you have to move you mouse (like moving your mouse when you are crouching, or after crouching or simply before)? Because I'm not able to do it that way like it looks in the video ...

regards

Pedsdude
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pedsdude » November 6th, 2014, 8:41 pm

Something like that is extremely hard to describe using just words alone. As with most things, jumping in general included, it's a case of practice, practice and more practice.

I would say he's not moving his mouse much while he's crouching. Generally he only moves his mouse to either perform a strafe jump, to face a certain direction before performing a strafe jump (i.e. you've got to be looking slightly to the right before you strafe left, if you want to jump forward), or generally moving around a corner etc.

Vice01
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by Vice01 » November 25th, 2014, 10:46 pm

Well thanks! That actually helped. :) I know it is a very hard part of cod to get good movement and it's not always easy that it looks good since it's more functional. Thanks.

I know its not the same but I dont want create a new topic. It's about the same video I posted in the first post. When you start at 21 seconds, then you will see him with the ak-u and he is something doing like moving left and crouch, then moving right and wtf looks awesome. I actually tried that a lot of times but I dont know he did it. I think he only crouches at the first part of the "left-right" moving. Very hard to explain ...

regards

Mooselflies
CJ Spammer!
CJ Spammer!
PSN ID: mooselflies

Post by Mooselflies » November 26th, 2014, 9:03 pm

Hey man if you need any help with doing movement and stuff can hit me up on xfire i haven't done movement for a long time but used to be one of my main things to do it in cod. You can view some stuff on my youtube that might help you with it.

My xfire is : comeownme

Few Example videos :

Strike : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxIOuPxX88c
Crash : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-eHtPEt958
Crossfire : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73sP0QkLVMY
Backlot : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw9rYOVP5bM