Loading Custom Maps

Talk about anything related with the servers

Moderator: Core Staff

Tim Tam
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Loading Custom Maps

Post by Tim Tam » January 16th, 2013, 2:20 pm

Nothing I have tried has worked, the error I get it "could not load (map). A mod is required for custom maps."
I launch cod4>load codjumper mod>/g_gametype cj>/map mp_(___)

It does nothing just sits there. I have also tried on a LAN sever I made, cj mod, same error.

I have the .iwd file maps in the mod folder, but have tried putting them in the usermaps folder. Same problem.

Tell me what im doing wrong, its probably obvious. :lol:

F |Madness| U
CJ G0D!
CJ G0D!

Re: Loading Custom Maps

Post by F |Madness| U » January 16th, 2013, 4:57 pm

In the first case (where you manually open CoD4, launch CJ mod and then after the console command nothing happens), you must be typing the map name incorrectly or don't own the map. For example if you have a directory:

CoD4/usermaps/mp_codjumper_training/

and inside that folder there should be two files; mp_codjumper_training.ff and mp_codjumper_training_load.ff

If you open CoD4, launch CJ mod, and do /set g_gametype cj and /map mp_codjumper_training it should definitely work. If nothing still happens, open the console fully (shift+open console) and scroll to the bottom and see what the error is.
-

Tim Tam
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by Tim Tam » January 17th, 2013, 12:05 am

ah I don't have the .ff files :L Okay thanks

BTW why don't you need to download the .ff files when you join a server? Only Dl's the iwd's

F |Madness| U
CJ G0D!
CJ G0D!

Post by F |Madness| U » January 17th, 2013, 12:18 am

Tim Tam wrote:ah I don't have the .ff files :L Okay thanks

BTW why don't you need to download the .ff files when you join a server? Only Dl's the iwd's
When you download from the server it downloads all of the mod directory and map directory that the server is currently running.

In many cases, the codjumper mod has all of the map .iwd files included in it's directory, hence you download them all, as well as the mod .ff files, because it's running the codjumper mod.

However you will only download the .ff files of the map that the server is on at the time of you connecting, because that's the only map directory in use by the server at that time.
-

Tim Tam
CJ Wannabe
CJ Wannabe

Post by Tim Tam » January 17th, 2013, 2:42 am

Ah, ok I understand now, can I get the map .ff files from the same place as I DL the iwd's?

Also whats the mod.ff for/do? I guess the .ff extension is not strictly for maps?

Thanks.

F |Madness| U
CJ G0D!
CJ G0D!

Post by F |Madness| U » January 17th, 2013, 10:18 am

Tim Tam wrote:Ah, ok I understand now, can I get the map .ff files from the same place as I DL the iwd's?Thanks.
Well often yes, but you'll have to manually browse through the server re-direct in your browser looking for the map. It would be easier to either just google for a download for that certain map (or use the CJ map download list). If you can't find it anywhere, then the only option is to keep playing on that server until that map comes on, at which point you will automatically download it.
Tim Tam wrote:Also whats the mod.ff for/do? I guess the .ff extension is not strictly for maps?

Thanks.
I don't know too much about it, but the .ff extension means fastfile, and it does something like organises the data in a certain way so that the game can load it as fast as possible. So yeah, mod fastfiles simply tell the game to load custom images, custom assets and such as well as custom menus and running the core mod script.
-